Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do folks figure their lure depths, when not using a bottom bouncing rig? The other day I read that Skip runs a tandem Cripple Alewife 13/0 with a six ounce chute 320 back. How deep does anyone think that is? (Skip should probably wait for the rest of us.) I'm guessing almost forty feet at 2.5 knots. I want to try this combination for the excitement of running a spoon in a tandem, but I have no real idea where it will be.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
I'll let others reply.One thing with my WWB is it is run from a center rigger off my hardtop.The release clip is almost 17 feet off the water.This high angle changes the depth by alot.

Other thing is going into or with the current.

Best guess wins an anchor :D:D:D.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Here's a couple things to consider:

Line type, Braid runs deeper then mono
Rod placement, Off the roof is going to run shallower then the rod holder in the gunnel.
speed
I'm sure there's many more. I'm going to guess, 15-20' off the roof and 25-30' gunnel @ 2.5 knts. just a guess

Shawn F

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
19 feet

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was assuming a roof rod. Mine will be about 12 feet above the water, and the running line is 40 pound Momoi mono.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I'll let others reply.One thing with my WWB is it is run from a center rigger off my hardtop.The release clip is almost 17 feet off the water.This high angle changes the depth by alot.

Other thing is going into or with the current.

Best guess wins an anchor :D:D:D.
14-18 ft, but the real ? is will it release this season?:D

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
:D OK so I set it a bit tight :pp:pp. The big ones have no trouble popping it open. I put a step stool in the boat so you can reach it :D:D.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
What no Bee Gees refrence
How deep is your lure
How deep is your lure
I really need to know
for I am fishing in a Bay full of Rockfish
I can't seem to see

etc...
Yes I do need professional help (I can't even get an estimate) and to go fishing

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I knew there was a story there, but I dare not comment. My long riggeer clip on the port gets locked all the time, and when its a big fish you can't pull the line down to the gunnel because of the tension . So I end up swinging the boat to the right to bring the line close enough to grab with the boat hook, and then leader in the fish while the boat is still pretty muich spinning. So if you're ever out there and see a little Grady circling with and old guy on the back cursing, take pitty, it's the Dog fishing like an ass again.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay Skip, if you are around, I could use the answer tonight. Like everyone else that can, I am going fishing tomorrow.

·
Registered
963 Posts
12' against the current, and 18' with the current, 15' cross current. I don't think it gets very deep because the spoon he uses is so large and has alot of drag
John

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I will eat your shorts if a 6 ounce lure 320ft back runs 40ft deep WITH a spoon holding it up. Jalopy is on the money- especially with the center rigger being used. Add or subtract 4-8 feet depending on current and speed. My .02

Dave

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
4.1345 fathoms:cool2:
of course thats with 60#mono

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
My best guess is on my boat it runs 10-15 feet deep.It gets hit alot - I think the action of the spoon makes the parachute "dance" slightly.Both the spoon and parachute get hit.I love seeing the clip get pulled down and then pop open :yes:.Some days even with 18 other rods out-the WWB catches most of the fish.Other days it does not draw a strike :confused:. Always worth having it back there :thumbup:.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts