Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new boat, new to me that is, & it has an old name on the back. I think it is a decal. How do I get it off without hurting the jelcoat??
thankz to all

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Use a heat gun to heat the decal which will release the bonding agent and allow you to get the decal off, then clean the surface with acetone to remove the adhesive.

But you have heard the tale that you should not rename a boat unless you do a rebuild on the boat it is suppose to be bad luck.

·
Registered
12,808 Posts
You may have to buff the area to blend it where the decal was located because it will probably be a different shade,because it has been hiden from the sun and weather.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
1,295 Posts
E-Z Off Oven Cleaner

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
How bad is the name maybe can make a cool story out of it said it belong to Jon Voight or somthing

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Everyone is assuming that this is a boat with registration numbers. If that's true, then rename all you wish. If this is a documented vessel, then there are entirely different procedures to follow going thru the Coast Guard. As far as the cleaners like acetone and such, be very careful. Acetone is HIGHLY volitile -- worse then gasoline.

·
Registered
275 Posts
boat names

You might consider hiring cindi fletcher, an artist in Eastport (Annapolis) who freehands boat names. The outcome is very classy and is not appreciably more expensive than the decal approach! She can safely remove the old name and residue. email me if you want her #

·
Registered
590 Posts
Maybe this was mentioned in the boat renaming ceremony link post earlier but here's how we were always told to do it:

Write or paint the boat's old name on a small piece of wood and then hide it inside the boat.

By keeping the old name somewhere on the boat, you keep the "boat gods" happy and thus keep yourself and vessel in good standing.

That the gods haven't yet become wise to this trick makes me wonder a bit about their abilities to cause real misfortune, but I assume that they still can if they have just cause. Also, since they appear to have trouble distinguishing real boat names from names scribbled on pieces of wood, I'm pretty sure I'm safe talking about "them" in this post--I hope.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes E-Z-Off works fine, just don't use the lemmon scented, get the original otherwise you may get a yellow stain. I would try the heat gun on low first. Low heat works better than high heat that well melt the decal, you want to simply losen the bond with the boat.

·
Registered
285 Posts
WiFiGuy...I think that's backwards. You have to purge ALL references to the old name after you ask Poseidon to "delist" it......and with that irreverence I can see him denying it....I'd be careful...:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts