Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. First post. Been lurking for years, but it is time for me to ask for some help. I have been fishing the Potomac River in the area near Coles point and Sandy point for years, with crappy results. Sure I can hit the shallows and pull up croaker, spot, and perch on worms all day long, but my success with stripers and blues is pathetic. This year I have fishing more than any other year, with worse results than ever. I have been trolling with everyone else off of coles point......nuthin. I have tried bucktails, diamond jigs, rubber eels.....nada. The fishfinder is lit up, I am adusting depths with weights or with one of those little depth planers (not planer boards), and just getting nothing.

For those who have been having success....how have you been doing it? Where? What times? Chumming? Jigging? Trolling?

Any flounder spots around (that you are willing to disclose)?

When I lived in Long Island as a kid, my Dad and I could get mackerel, flounder, blackfish, blues....whatever we went out for, we would get. I have a great fishing boat but am having crappy luck or have the wrong equipment or wrong technique or am in the wrong places. Please help me get some fishguts on my deck......

·
Registered
843 Posts
We have been trolling the diving planers with white bucktails with white curly tail grubs on the hooks. #1 planers out 140 to 160ft and #2 planers out 50 to 70ft. Last Saturday we had 4 keeper Stripers and thru back at least 8 that were smaller than 20" Week before only caught 1 keeper and around 6 smaller ones. Week before that on a Saturday we caught bunch small throw back fish then around 11am caught 5 keepers 21" to 26". Next day a Sunday only caught 4 fish total but all 4 keeper size. Fishing crazy sometimes. Been in the mess of boats out from Coles Point area near buoy 10 fishing from 24ft of water to 50ft of water. Just have to vary how much line you let out when trolling the diving planers. Some still using umbrella rigs with inline weights that you can vary how much line you let out. Also our trolling speed has been around 3.5 to 4 mph on the GPS speed. Not sure how much longer the stripers will be in that area. Think the Bluefish are starting to move up river from the Pt. Lookout area so those are the fish we are getting ready to target the next few weekends switching out the bucktails for Drone spoons. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That sounds quite similar to what I have been doing, except for the "catching fish" part. Maybe I will switch out my green curly tail grubs for white ones, mess around with the planers, and try some more. I am out here this morning but the monsoon winds have not yet died down. I hope to see you out there.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks. That sounds quite similar to what I have been doing, except for the "catching fish" part. Maybe I will switch out my green curly tail grubs for white ones, mess around with the planers, and try some more. I am out here this morning but the monsoon winds have not yet died down. I hope to see you out there.
I'd say change tactics and dump the trolling rods and go light tackle around docks and structure to get the stink off. 1/2 ounce jigs with swimming mullets/weedless gold spoons etc... Pretend like you are fishing for largemouth. Fish early am 30 minutes before sunrise to an hour after and reverse it for sunset. Pretty much a guarantee you'll catch some under slot that way and for every 5 or so under slot I can usually find a keeper in the 20 to 28" range. I've been fishing that general area for several years now and rarely come home with a skunk using that method.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd say change tactics and dump the trolling rods and go light tackle around docks and structure to get the stink off. 1/2 ounce jigs with swimming mullets/weedless gold spoons etc... Pretend like you are fishing for largemouth. Fish early am 30 minutes before sunrise to an hour after and reverse it for sunset. Pretty much a guarantee you'll catch some under slot that way and for every 5 or so under slot I can usually find a keeper in the 20 to 28" range. I've been fishing that general area for several years now and rarely come home with a skunk using that method.
Thanks. Changing tactics is probably a good suggestion, too. Wednesday while waiting for the winds to die down I drove to RW's and spoke to David, who gave me some good suggestions and I spent some money. I trolled the afternoon and caught a nice 20.5" striper in about 40 feet of water off Ragged Point. I was using a #1 diving planer with a small (2.25"?) drone spoon on about a 15' leader. Made my day.

Any suggestions for where might be a good place for early morning or late evening light tackle casting? I have done that in various places on the lower Machodoc and off our pier way up glebe creek, but with no luck (though I might not have been early or late enough; I will try this a bit more).

I guess come October I will switch to a parachute/umbrella rig? I bought some heavier trolling rods/reels, and rigged em with 50 lb test mono.

·
Registered
514 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts