Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We steam and eat our crabs inside. We've always saved brown paper bags from the grocery store, placed a few doubled up bags on the same table where we're eating, and "dump" our leftovers in those bags while we pick & eat. For us, it's easy, convenient, and makes for a quicker cleanup. You guessed it, those brown paper bags are becoming scarce in some stores. Was told by a clerk today that it might not be long before we need to bring(buy) our own reusable bags. Tried the 5 gallon bucket trick on the floor, but poor aim and extra cleanup leaves that option out. What do you all do? :hammer:

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
At home we just cover the kitchen table with 5 or so layers of newspaper and just pile the shells up in front of you. At the end just roll up the newspaper with the shells and slide the whole thing into a plastic trash bag.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,156 Posts
We do the same as Slipsinker does with the newspaper. Isn't that what it's for?? :thumbup: Then we cover the newspaper with the same stock paper without the print (ink) that we obtain by the "end of run" rolls at the local gossip mill. I know I'm gonna be sorry I told ya this, but they are free for the taking as long as you leave some for me once and a while.:rolleyes:
When the pile of shells gets too big, we slide them off the table into a trash can and fill the center of the table up again with another batch of steaming hot crabs. Been doing it that way for decades.

While we're on the subject of crabs..... we're having soft crabs this evening that we shed last summer. MmmM mm good!!;)

P.S. They did not come from the Miles R.:D Just in case a crertain someone is reading this.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,156 Posts
While we're on that topic......

Does anyone use the shells and innards for their garden, fish chum, etc??? It seems such a waste of a great by-product dumpin it in the trash.
I tried burying it in the veg garden once, but the racoons dug it up. Put it in a compost pile too and was advised not to by an "expert gardener" on some TV show.
Haven't yet tried to freeze it and blend it in with the crabs that died in transit/storage before steaming. I save them (dead ones) and freeze them. When I have a few bushels I put them thru the leaf shredder/branch chipper while still frozen and convert them to chum. Works GREAT!!!! Maybe I should "spice up" the chum a bit. Whatchathink?

Then, we could do like the picking houses do with the innards and grind them up to be used as a base for seafood recipies; mostly soups and bisques. Naaaaah!:nono:

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Jerry

There is a commercial product on the market, Something like 'Ol Blue or something that is a powdered form of crab shells. It's used for tomatoes to prevent the famous botom rot that plagues Tomatoes. It's cuased by a lack of calcium and the crab shells help put some back in the soil. I tried the commercial porduct a few years ago and had great success. No more rotting.

BTW, before somebody says it, it's not the same rot that they get from laying on the ground. It occurs on tomatoes that are completely off the ground.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Jerry

There is a commercial product on the market, Something like 'Ol Blue or something that is a powdered form of crab shells. It's used for tomatoes to prevent the famous botom rot that plagues Tomatoes. It's cuased by a lack of calcium and the crab shells help put some back in the soil. I tried the commercial porduct a few years ago and had great success. No more rotting.

BTW, before somebody says it, it's not the same rot that they get from laying on the ground. It occurs on tomatoes that are completely off the ground.
It's called Chesapeake Blue and works great on anything that's in the garden. It's only found in garden centers like Poor Boys, not Depot or Lowes as far as I know.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I gather up the shells, take them out to the end of the pier and dump them from whence they came. There's always some meat that is not gotten and lodged in the shells. The White Perch and Sunnys love it and hang around the pilings a waitin' for the treat.
I throw some of the crab remnents around my fish trap to attract small bait fish. I also save the devils and use them to catch the small fish to use for bait on my next crabbin' trip.
I guess you could call it chummin' or recycling, so to speak.
Geo

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
We steam and eat our crabs inside. We've always saved brown paper bags from the grocery store, placed a few doubled up bags on the same table where we're eating, and "dump" our leftovers in those bags while we pick & eat. For us, it's easy, convenient, and makes for a quicker cleanup. You guessed it, those brown paper bags are becoming scarce in some stores. Was told by a clerk today that it might not be long before we need to bring(buy) our own reusable bags. Tried the 5 gallon bucket trick on the floor, but poor aim and extra cleanup leaves that option out. What do you all do? :hammer:
I put several layers of newspaper down on the table and cover it with brown paper (comes in a roll at Lowes) and set a trashcan between us(if it's just me and my wife) on the floor with the top off to use if needed. If it's a bunch of us I'll use 2-3 gallon "buckets" for shells and set a few on the table to put/dump shells.
The newspaper is just to "pad" the table....2 layers of brown paper holds everything together when we roll it up to put it in the trash after we're done.

Tony

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Garden tips are always helpful also, so thanks for that!!! But our mediocre(sp?) strip garden of tomato plants is too small or any quantity of crabs.....or fish remains.

Before the woods behind us was developed, we'd simply dump our fish remains in a ditch. Whoever was back there, those remains would be gone inside of a week!!!! Never did see the critters. Now they're gone gone. We chose not do deposit crab shells there.

OF COURSE!...we cover table with newspaper....wouldn't be a crab feast without it!! Just that we always found it easier and quicker to use paper bags and rid the table of them, leaving the newspaper in place for rest of feast. For the slop directly in front of us, we'd simply add and remove extra layers of print. Then take the paper bags away when (they are) full - no flying pieces while trying to roll up paper...(even though that's half the fun too). When we're full, newspaper is rolled up and we're as close to being done as we'd like to be.

Looks like it's gonna be back to the good ol' days of just newspaper and trash can....or today's plastic bags.

Is it May yet??

Tony, we were typing at same time, and I missed your reply before posting mine. I've thought about the brown rolls of paper, though I'm cheap, and the brown bags were free....well, sortuv free. Wife actually has rolls of that brown paper around for other reasons. Might have to negotiate this Spring....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
What's all this talk about shells. You mean you guys don't eat the whole crab? Used to go to a Korean resturant downtown Balto back in the late 80's where there was sauted crab. No sheetz but they would eat the whole thing. It was quartered and sauted til just delectably crunchy.:yes:

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
It's called Chesapeake Blue and works great on anything that's in the garden. It's only found in garden centers like Poor Boys, not Depot or Lowes as far as I know.
That's it. I found mine at Evergreen Gene's (Been a few years) in Glen Burnie but Southern States may carry it as well.

Always though about grinding the leftovers up and freezing it for chum supplement myself. Wonder what rockfish think of beer and vinegar and Old Bay flavored crabs. Bet Norm Bartlett would love the idea of crab chum.:nono:

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I have taken the full buckets out in the evening and periodically chummed hands full until gone. It draws the killies and whatever other baitfish which in return draws in the bigger fish too.
It makes excellent minnow trap bait.

I bet it would work in a chum bag dropped over or weighted down if in deeper water.

I know that after I dump a bucket full at the pier, the minnows are all over it and if you look at those shells an hour later it looks like they were polished.

Hey, I got an idea. I could rub that all over my ..............................................

Are ya with me?????:devil2:

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
not right, just not right:clap: :D

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
If the wx doesnt stop me, sure!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts