Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this was a timely question with the temps going down tonight.

Is it better to keep them inside at room temp or outside in the cold? For example: I keep eels in a bucket with just a thin layer of wetness and slime. They usually do just fine.

Sometimes I keep them in the livewell but they are so hard to retrieve that way.

What is your method for eel longevity and health?

Richard

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had some in a cooler in the garage with creek water and a cheap fish tank aerator, they are doing fine after 2 weeks. It is a lot easier keeping them alive in the cold than during the summer. I change the water once a week. Good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Eels will slow down considerably when you chill them down. Some anglers put them on ice so theya re easier to handle. If you dont have alot, you can also put them in a bucket of water, just enough equal to about the displacement of the eels. Put ICE in the water. They will warm up quicker than if you have them solely on ice bed. I am open to any other methods soemone may have. I will note that I have never tried to keep eels for any real length of time other than a few days.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I keep them overboard in a 5 gal. bucket, with many small holes drilled into it, until the morning of fishing. Them they go in a cooler which has a bag of ice in it covered by a towel. Haven't had any problems yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Two 5 gallon buckets. Drill holes in the inside one, cover with ice (sea weed is a nice touch on top if surf fishing). Keep iced and they will last forever. Just dont forget to drain the bucket every once in a while. When I bring them on the boat I leave the second bucket home and just let them drain. MUCH easier to catch and hook this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts