Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wire cage that I keep off my dock in deltaville. I would like to catch some spot over the next few weekends, and keep them alive to use for bait in early October. Any advice with the following questions is greatly appreciated.

1. Do I need to feed them, and if so, what's good spot food?

2. I will only be in deltaville on weekends, so how can I keep them alive with minimal maintenance?

3. Is 6-12" of water at low tide enough?

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
21 Posts
i'm no expert but we use to catch them by sprinkling cheap can dog food over the edge of the pier and then using a cast net or umbrella net so dog food should feed them. i would also think they should be fed 3 or 4 times a week i never kept them more than a day or 2. and i' m sure 6 to 12 inches of water is not enough most wire cages i have seen used have pvc pipe for flotation and float freely

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fill an old sock full of dry dog food, tie a knot in the top of the sock and place it in the cage. I'm not sure about the shallow water, but my spot cage is on the bottom in about 7 feet of water. I check the food supply about once a week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My friends at Indan River and Lewes keep them in a perforated plastic barrel tied to the dock. Never feed them anything, and they keep for months. I guess enough food washes through in the current.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have mine in a homemade cage at the end of the dock and don't feed them either. Have about two dozen right now and they're lively. Some have been there for a month or more (not getting enough fishing in!).

I catch them in a homemade spot trap - really just an enlarged minnow trap design - square shape.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I will have plenty to free line around windmill to start the season.

Tony

·
Registered
573 Posts
Don't use em up too early--- wait till about mid-nov and then see how long a live spot will last w/ a hook in its back [grin]
JP
"KwikRelease"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts