Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 50 eels in a salt water tank, in my back yard, with an aerator... They are healthy and lively, but I only had them in there for a little over a week... Do I have to feed them??? If so, what?? How is everyone else keeping their extra eels alive??

Thank you, in advance...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I would have thought a better question would be how do you kill them! I froze some last night to rig up and I'm hoping by today that they are not moving anymore ;0

Glenn

·
Registered
188 Posts
I keep mine on top of pool cover from mid. Nov. til Feb.
Wife put dog food in there when she found out i wasn't feeding them.
Only had a couple die,don't know if they ate the food or not,it even iced
over a couple times.This year i found out if i put an old towel in there
they go under it,makes them easy to catch with net.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
200 gallon live well.......100 eels.......aerator........power head and circulating pump with whole house filter.........GOOD TO GO.........I feed them pieces of cut up squid.......

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
850 gal live well.......as many eels as i want.......2000 gals of filtration.....live w/ about 15 spot......i feed them coy food or dead people. GOOD TO GO!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
No need to feed they'll be gone before they have to eat...Oh and ours ain't skinny or died after a month in the barrels.

Feeding contaminates the water.

Do a 1/3 water change once a week and don't fill your barrels to the top or you will find your eels dried up on the garage floor the next morning.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the tips... I have 4 stripers,22-24", living with my eels... Good thing I have the eels in a basket, seperated from the stripers... I have some Frozen bunkers I could feed them... Oh yeah I have all of this in about 250gal tank

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have heard from a former eel fisherman that eels will not eat while in captivity. They tend to loose body mass and continue to live OK as long as they are in relatively good water. Don't know if this is gospel. My eels are at the end of my dock cooling it in a 18"X 18" square 1/2" chicken mesh cage purchased at i. Coopers on King st. in Hampton accross the street from Amory's fish dock. No problems since the season has started and last year all season.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thank you for the tips... I have 4 stripers,22-24", living with my eels... Good thing I have the eels in a basket, seperated from the stripers... I have some Frozen bunkers I could feed them... Oh yeah I have all of this in about 250gal tank
Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit - October 4 through December 20...................2 per person
........................................Possession Limit - December 21 through December 31..............1 per person

Possesion is 9/10ths of the law.

·
Registered
326 Posts
DVD

Just get Max Kings DVD Eelin & Reelin, anything you need to know about Eelin is on it, including over 66 GPS numbers. In depth instructional. AWESOME!!!!

Also, is a segment on Eels, how to keep them alive, just everything, including rigging, and how to set baits.
Here is a link for the info,

Capt Max King's EELING & REELING for MONSTER STRIPED BASS DVD. - Windows Live

It really is all you need to know about Eelin, great DVD, check it out!
It works.

Congrads again to Max for this weekends big 61 pound win!!!!!!
Fantastic!
JB

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit - October 4 through December 20...................2 per person
........................................Possession Limit - December 21 through December 31..............1 per person

Possesion is 9/10ths of the law.
Good thing I live at home with my parents, in a land locked home... technically i can have two more in the tank and be ok... well until December 31, when I will have to freeze them, so I won't break the law...;-) BTW thank you for your tips....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts