Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a couple close calls while pulling in my tandem rigs. The lure on the shorter leader has gotten snagged in the net while trying to pull the fish into the net. To correct that problem i'm now pulling the other lure into the boat, then netting the fish. What do you do in that situation ? I'de love to hear your comments. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
It depends on which lure the fish hit.

My leaders are roughly 6 and 12 feet.

If fish has hit the dropper lure ( 6 foot leader ) - it is easy - just net fish and leave the trailer lure where it is.

If it hit the trailer lure ( 12 foot leader ) - couple ways to go about it. Easy way is to have the angler reel the swivel to within one foot of the rod tip. Pull in the short leader and hand them the lure. They step forward but keep rod tip over the side. Pull the longer leader in and net the fish.

If short handed or fishing alone - kinda same deal only Rodney the rod holder becomes the angler. Put rod in holder and hook the lure on the reel handle - then leader in the fish.

One word of caution - best if angler holds the lure by the shad tail - just in case the fish pulls unexpectivly .

·
Registered
757 Posts
What net? I either lip the fish, or use a Boga grip, and ignore the other lure. No way I could bring a large enough net to land a 50" fish (much wishful thinking on my part) - so I've now got lots of practice landing fish without a net. Might come in handy someday.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I prefer to lip them as well - never lost one that way. It's a different story with the net. I always use a glove - you never know with that microfunk going around...

Tim T.
Got Fish Too?
Judge 34 Express

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
My boat sits close to the water so I'm a no netter. If fish is on the long leader, pull short lure in and put on the deck, hand leader fish in close enough to grab the lure and swing fish over the gunnels.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I always tell people to net from behind. Then most of the time u can leader the fish into the net. It just seems to go easier that way for me. Never had any problems with tandems netting this way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts