Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had lackluster results in our last few attempts. I'm pretty sure I had out a good spread, which covered the water column and had appropriate terminal tackle.

Both of my attempts have been at the high rise. Of course, that's not a small area and I've heard reports of guys slaying them while the boat 5 pilings down isn't catching any. So my question is, what factors do you look for when choosing a location?

Bottom countour? Available light? A certain depth?

I'm assuming most of the fish caught here are ocean run fish who are making the turn and heading up the bay in search of food. But I'm not sure exactly how to target scattered fish by anchoring up.

Just when I think I have it figured out and it must be a channel edges pattern, I've seen guys in kayaks catch some PIGS within a hundred yards of the concrete ships.

Any insights you're willing to share?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Things are late down there and fish are down in NC alot may by pass it all together is all I can tell ya....ask the va board for info but those guys are really sick of MD boyz by now.....:eek: good lucK

TRY DRIFTING BY THE SHIPS IN 40-50FEET

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Just north of the concrete ships by marker #18 is a deep water slough. Try difting the edges of that. Set eels under bobbers at various depths. A lot of the time eeling is a tide thing.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Josh, if you look on the charts, there is a deep channel that runs from the Ocean/Bay down the eastern side to Cape Charles and possibly beyond. Many of the guys eeling are fishing on the edge of that channel including right off of the concrete ships. Plantation light which is just north of the concrete ships is another area that many eel at. Again, they tend to drift or anchor across the channel at varying depths. The article in Sportfishing Magazine on this topic talks about drifting from deep to shallow if the current/winds allow. Obviously, the Highrise is another popular area and it seems to be hit or miss finding the fish on different pilings. If you don't catch on a good current you're supposed to move until you find them. That is of course if you can find a spot that's not already taken. I hope that helps some. Jim.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,298 Posts
From the Videos, reports and waypoints, it seems that the edge of the deep channel from Cape Charles south through the highrise and out to sea is where most of the cows are caught ........ another place is between the fishnets if the wind is from the east or west ........ some cows have been caught there also ..........

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Max King came up to the MSSA Frederick Chapter meeting last month and talked about eeling at the CBBT. He presented a map showing where he caught his fish which was very revealing.

A very common theme was a natural structure and changes in depth. He also stressed the need for silence in the boat at all times if that tells you anything ;-)

He has a new CD out if you're interested.

Capt Max King's EELING & REELING for MONSTER STRIPED BASS DVD. - Windows Live

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hello everyone

On my boat it seems to be better fishing if every thing very quite. Every boat is different and every day on the water is different. The fish over 50lb usually hits when it is very quite and you are away from everyone.

Things I do and places I fish is all base on confidence you have to be patience and wait for the bite. I have learned to be very patience with this type of fishing. I have to repaint my floor every year from the pacing I do on my boat backwards and forward from the bow of the boat to the stern. I try my best to find moving water up and down around structure and you will find some quality verses quantity. This type of fishing is the quickest and easiest way to catch that fish of a lifetime or the one that will help you win or place in major tournament here in Virginia in the month of December or January.

Thanks for the recommendation about the DVD. Another good thing about the DVD is the email network that has been established by eelers. Every person who has purchase one my DVD is giving opportunity to give me his or her email address in order for me to pass along fishing reports, fishing news, and tournaments results. It can be very good info as you walk out the door to go fishing. As most of you know I am standing by on vhf 6 and my cell 757 650-3176 if any one has any questions it looks like I have a couple days off because weather. It does not look good for fishing down here until late Friday or the weekend.

Tight Lines to Everyone!
Max king
[email protected]

·
Registered
134 Posts
King video is good, wish it was longer.....

I got the video as a gift, and it was great. Most of the tips I was familiar with, but running a couple of free lines without bobbers was a new tip, used it yesterday to catch a 45" near 40lb'r off Plantation Light in snotty conditions. On a previous trip about half of our hits were on the free lines, no bobbers, thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
The only thing I can add is don't be afraid to put some eels shallow (5-15') under a bobber in very deep water.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
There is really only 2 ways to select a spot to liveline or chunk:
1. spend a lifetime fishing with folks who have been doing it for a lifetime (and preferably for a living) and fish as often as you can, ie: learn where the fish live or...
2. Eenie, meenie, minie, mo. (this includes reading books, magazines, fishing websites etc.)

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I know an old timer who has been doing the eeling thing for years, long before tidal fish with good success. He never understood why people use bobbers. Most of the time the bobbers are slip bobbers and the rod and drag will screem no matter what you are using when a fish hits. He just adjusts the amount of weight on each rod. Some have none, some have several ounces. This way you can keep the rods from tangling and fish throughout the water column. When a fish hits, you'll know.

He also stresses that you must drift as slow as possible and a drift sock is invaluable. It keeps the boat in proper position and doesn't let you drift too fast by either pulling the bait away from the fish and out of the strike zone. The slower you move through a prime area, the better your chances.

As for places, I think they have been covered in this thread. The one thing you are going to have a problem with is the amount of people and boats around. Try fishing near Fishermen's Island, even if it means getting uncomfortably close to the breakers. Fish them like crazy people fish Oregon Inlet and Hatteras Inlet and cast into the white water. You'll have to leave the engine running incase you get into trouble but I think with all the noise of the waves, you should be okay.

Other obvious places is directly over the tube between 3rd and 4th island. Anchor with a wreck anchor at night and drop straight down with eels and jigs. You can float an eel far out the back too. Just get away from the people and there will be fish.

One year it was blowing like heck out of the NW. There were only two or three trailers in Kipto lot but we went out anyway. We ran all the way to the bridge and got pounded to death and even caught a fish or two casting. WHen we got back, with sore backs, we talked to two guys who were eeling the pound nets just east of the concrete ships in ~30 feet of water. They had their limit of MONSTEROUS stripers in an insane blow. Plus it was kind of protected there from the ships and they didn't have to go but 200 yards from the ramp.

Good luck, fish late and do something different from everyone else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts