Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My hull is a 1986. Love the extra deck space on an Aquasport but hate the wet socks. Finally decided to try and keep some water on the outside. At the end of last year I took on some serious water while working my eeling hole. I used hinges with removeable pins and 3/8" Starboard, the two piece fancy hinges would have cost a fortune. Since I usually keep a full cover on the boat I went for the zinc hinges (I can buy a ton of them for the price of the fancy hinges). I had to hit two marine stores gathering enough stainless bolts and nylon nuts. Nice talking to RJ at Boater's World today.

Also got tired of buying those $40 plastic console covers that don't like temps below about 50deg. Found a new use for large thru-hull fittings. The hard part was taking a razor knife to a brand new $80 cover.

I used some Gorilla glue on the outer fitting to help (hopefully) keep the cover from tearing and cut a big washer from an old coffee can to stop the cover from getting mangled when I tightened the backing nut. This is my normal trailering position. I leave the antenna mount loose and bungee the antenna to my seat back.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Very nice job Bob I hope it keeps the water out for ya and the way it looks you should not have a problem.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. Not as pretty as I wanted it but got tired of searching for hardware. When I did find the hardware it was over $120 just for hinges for a 21 year old hull:eek: I gave up on pretty and went for function. Just as well since I found water in the transom when drilling the hinge screw holes.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Nice looking job Bob,looks like it belongs on the boat.Where did you get your console cover ?I need one for mine,but I have a T top so I don't know if it will work.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my receipts are in my office, I'll have to check on Monday. My console cover is the middle of the line, material wise. I only use the console cover prior to a trip, otherwise I use my custom fit full cover. My covers are worth more than the boat:D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Nice job, Bob I've often wondered what to do with my center console.Do you use a bimini? I have a full custom cover for my boat. Well worth the money. I have a bimini and thought about using a console cover in the warm months. I use a 4ft. antenna,which works ok with the bimini up. Brian

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
809 Posts
Looks good Bob. I had the same problem last year and custom cut a piece of white window treatment material from Home Depot to fit my transom. Starboard was too expensive at BPS and BW. I glued it in but may need to rethink that idea. The two biggest problems were that I glued it to the motor and transom, motor virbration shook one loose and the kids helped to loosen it even more by standing on it when getting in and out of the boat when swimming. I just installed a swim platform this weekend so that should help with that problem.:yes:

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Roger - I got the cover at GO2MARINE.COM, $79.99 w/shipping. I think they had three different materials and I really didn't know the difference. The covers can get pricey and I use my full cover most the time anyway.

Brian - I have a bimini but only use it on rare occassions when the wife is in the boat and it puts a lot of drag on the boat and the straps are always in the way for fishing and crabbing. I just angle the antenna out the back if the top is up.

John - I really wanted to build the fix into the transom but that's too much labor. I may go for the big test and see if I can leave the boards on while trailering.

Eric - We'll have to give a test at the flats.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
250 Posts
Looks Great!

Dang, that was a really good idea. Looks like it belongs there!
Also, I like the setup for your vhf antenna. I have been thinking about adding a perm unit to my cc as well but was feeling like the antenna would be a huge pain while the bimini was up. If you have any other pic's of that setup I'd really like to see em. ( no sense in trying to re-invent the wheel) ;-) I'm guessing the antenna mount is on the grab rail?
I do have bmail if you'd rather send em there...
thanks,
bobby

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang, that was a really good idea. Looks like it belongs there!
Also, I like the setup for your vhf antenna. I have been thinking about adding a perm unit to my cc as well but was feeling like the antenna would be a huge pain while the bimini was up. If you have any other pic's of that setup I'd really like to see em. ( no sense in trying to re-invent the wheel) ;-) I'm guessing the antenna mount is on the grab rail?
I do have bmail if you'd rather send em there...
thanks,
bobby
I had a 3ft whip antenna on a rail mount for several years and it worked fine. When traveling or covering the boat it would fold down out of the way. When my electronics got fried in a storm in 2005 I decided to use the standard plastic antenna mount that was already on the side of the console. The 3ft whip was flexible enough that it could be bent out from under the bimini. Bimini's are a pain so mine doesn't get used anymore. The 8ft antenna can be a pain also, I had one snap in half last year for no reason. As shown in the picture I bungee the 8ft to my seat to take the load off of the plastic mount when traveling. An 8ft is a pain with boat covers too. I have to fold the antenna all the way down to get my full boat cover on, and then it's a pain if I need to crawl around under the cover to charge the batteries or whatever. On my console I can't pivot the 8ft forward to clear a bimini because the rails are in the way, pivot it backwards and you have to remember to duck. If you don't need to communicate great distances go with the 3ft whip.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
250 Posts
Thanks for the info Bob,
Very helpful. I find myself torn, cause I'm here in the northern bay. Just thinking I wanna put a fixed mount in and use the handheld as backup. I guess we all need a bigger boat with more storage and cheaper fuel. :pp

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Looks good a sunday well spent. Sunday I made the trek to Va and brought my boat back. Now for the cleaning and getting her ready.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Good use of your time and effort. I am preparing to replace my 8'x2"x4" carpeted bunks and hardware some of which is rusted beyong recognition..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts