Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out today. I'll post a thread about our success later. However, boat started a little rough. After a nice run, and then chumming for a bit, could barely start the boat. Luckily, finally got it going and went near the marina and bowfished. Running all out, it stuttered a couple times, but kept going. When we were done, it worked perfectly at the marina. We know the batteries are at least 3 years old, if not older. How many years do you generally go before buying new batteries? I know there are variable as to whether stored on water, how often it's used etc, but just looking for general recommendations on replacement times. Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
Went out today. I'll post a thread about our success later. However, boat started a little rough. After a nice run, and then chumming for a bit, could barely start the boat. Luckily, finally got it going and went near the marina and bowfished. Running all out, it stuttered a couple times, but kept going. When we were done, it worked perfectly at the marina. We know the batteries are at least 3 years old, if not older. How many years do you generally go before buying new batteries? I know there are variable as to whether stored on water, how often it's used etc, but just looking for general recommendations on replacement times. Thanks, Mark.
3 years is about average. Better brands will last 4-5. I have 2 batteries and a Perko switch. Dead battery on the water suck........ Gary

·
Registered
631 Posts
AGMs last longer when the time comes are are worth the extra cost. I've been happy with Sears and have had Basspro last up to 5 yrs.Batteries will last longer if they are not cycled way down over and over.If you are unsure of condition Sears tests them for free.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I usually get 4 or 5 years from Deka or interstate wet cell. My last boat had 2 for the gas motor and everything else and 2 for a 24 volt trolling motor. My current boat has 4, 1 for the gas motor and 3 for the 36 volt trolling motor. But if there is a starting problem I can hit a switch which will jump the single battery with the 3.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Just replaced one of mine on Sunday. It was 4 years old. That is what I expect. I get mine at Advanced Auto because of the 10% off for retired military.

Steve

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've always used Interstate wet cells and distilled water when needed. Use #1 battery on odd calendar days and #2 on even days. Got 10 years out of both of them and could have pushed longer! By the way they crank a 496 inboard so not a wimpy application!

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Charge your batteries,fill with water if needed.If you fully fill with water before charging a weak battery, the electrolyte may boil out of the battery.Check voltage with a 12dc voltage tester.12-13 volts should be read.New batteries can read as much as 14v.If it doesn't read atleast 12 volts,after charging, replace battery.Make sure your battery charger is charging the battery.10 years is very good for a battery to last.I am usually happy with 5 years.I would replace them with the same size interstate batteries with that kind of service.What group size were they? 24 grp.(small) 27 grp (medium) most popular for Marine use or grp. 29 (lrge). They aso have a grp. 31.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Interstate wet cells... 5 - 6 yrs. One 12v cranking battery & one 12v trolling battery. Both kept on a trickle charger when boat is not on the water (garage kept). Top off yearly with distilled water. Trolling battery usually goes first.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Mark - if you do replace your battery, I'd be interested in knowing if that fixes the problem, because I'm not sure if what you describe is the fault of a battery. Not saying it is, just don't know, and I might learn something.
But to your question, I'd suggest a minimum of 4 years, based on what we do. We have two standard marine batteries with the power to start a 200hp o/b. One stays in service for two years. Only electronics are lights, radio, and combo sounder and GPS. After two years, that battery serves as backup for the next two years, just laying around the boat, sometimes not even getting a charge until end of our season. And of course before returning it to boat. After two years of non use, that now four year old battery still starts the o/b - we always test it out of curiosity. Even so, it gets traded in and the two year/four year program starts over. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I agree with BigWill. If it is an outboard engine, the batteries don't provide spark for ignition, only for cranking. When it was balky starting, did it spin over fast or drag? If the starter spun it up then it is not a battery problem. Have you run it much this spring? I would suspect water in the gas from the gasohol.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Surprised nobody suggested cleaning your terminals as a first step. Don't forget to scuff up the inside of the connectors while you're at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.