Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering when trolling with planner boards how many baits you can get in the water off one boat.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
On my boat I run 5 off of each side which makes ten rod on the planers. Add in 2 roof rods, and 6 boat rods, and you've got 18 rods out in a jiffy.

I have seen charter boats run as many as 8 off of each side. Then, they do sneaky stuff like fish three roof rods, or run a center deep line in addition to dummy rods.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I pull a set of ( skips ) boards with a 22'cc 75' line per side. Pull 5 lines per side all single chutes 2-4 oz white and green. I leave the tandems and umb's for the boat rods.....

Shawn F

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
When is enough enough. Why not just pull a troll net?

So for us normal recreational fishermen, what's a good number? When will you "overload" your planer board? Is it too may rods, baits, weight that maxes it out? Can you just add more planer board line for more rods? Bigger the board, more weight or baits can be added?

Say I just wanted to put two rods on each planer board, how big a planer would I need? How long a line? I'd like to keep things simple and small. LIke a two board planer for pulling two lines on each side.

How bad will one planer pull your boat? Say you didn't want to run two planers.

Stupid question... the roof rods go out further, correct? They are the wtfb rods with little weight?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts

So for us normal recreational fishermen, what's a good number? When will you "overload" your planer board? Is it too may rods, baits, weight that maxes it out? Can you just add more planer board line for more rods? Bigger the board, more weight or baits can be added?

Say I just wanted to put two rods on each planer board, how big a planer would I need? How long a line? I'd like to keep things simple and small. LIke a two board planer for pulling two lines on each side.

Stupid question... the roof rods go out further, correct? They are the wtfb rods with little weight?
When I first started to use planers, I had a tiny set of 2 board planers, and I ran 3 rods on each one and it was not a problem, the problem was the boards flipping...they only did that twice...I have a small 2 board pair that works if you want to try them out

roof rods go way back normally..

·
Registered
738 Posts

It's never enough ! The limit is the limit you just have a better chance of catching them quicker. Burn less fuel. I run some pretty big board's and don't even notice them pulling the boat at all. I have a 120' of lines and 6 rods on ea runs really good. Some guy's drag a towel to make there boards pull out farther creating drag. Changing the length and where your eye let pulls from makes a huge differece. Just have to play with them. I hear skip makes some nice boards. Any size board should be fine for 2 rods off of each. Oh yea just watch out for bouys ( the PR bouy ) capt Kyle will tell ya the one I took out in the spring :D

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
I have a 19' center console with no T-top so I am a little bit limited. I have some of Skip's boards and they work great for even a smaller boat like mine. My boards run apx 25 feet off of each side. I run 3 rods off of each side and 2 off the back. Usually, I run my heavier lures (20 oz. Chesapeake Bay lure, umbrellas, heavy tandems off the back and tandems bucktail\parachutes, spoons, hoses, etc off of the boards.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I run up to 14 rods with 8-10 on the boards. I do run singles, tandems and an occasional umbrella off the boards and usually 4-6 off the boat depending on where I see fish on the meter. Best case is 28 lures from a 20' boat. I'm always looking at ways to add more rod holders. Last year I installed a set of zero degree holders between the two stock rod holders and I like the a lot. Got a feeling my little Sea Hunt will soon look like a Yellowfin with 24 rod holders drilled into it. Next up is a set of downriggers.
I get a kick out of setting out that spread...bringing it back in is a different story:rolleyes:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts

I run a set of Skip's boards (three board planer). I didn't see a reason to run smaller boards even if they would have worked. Here I have the choice of how much line to use and if my spread grows they will grow with me. My spread is is 11 rods. That is all I want to mess with. I have two sets of lines 80' and 60'. If it is real crowded I will run the 60'. On the 80' I will run 4 rods on each side, 2 off the transom and 1 wwb off the hardtop. On the 80' I run 3 rods on each side, 2 on the transom, 1 on each gunwale and 1 on the hardtop. Transom rods usually have large umbrellas and heavy weight. The rest vary from 2 oz singles to 6/4 oz tandems.

I have never run just one board so I can't answer that question.

·
Registered
312 Posts
what is the best lure to pull? I just started trolling i have bougth stretch 25's and a small umbrella ( only 4 baits and one hook following) still learning so dont want to get real crazy , do rattle traps or small spoons work ? or just the big boys. oh i only have 4 rod holders , my boat is an expres cruiser so not a lot of room for them

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
what is the best lure to pull? I just started trolling i have bougth stretch 25's and a small umbrella ( only 4 baits and one hook following) still learning so dont want to get real crazy , do rattle traps or small spoons work ? or just the big boys. oh i only have 4 rod holders , my boat is an expres cruiser so not a lot of room for them
They all work as certain times of the year. For right now if I had 4 rods that could handle bigger lures I would have 2 20" umbrellas with tandem 2 oz chutes w/9" shads on the outside tips of the umbrella (4 baits) and tandem chutes with 9" shads on the other rods. That is a total of 8 baits in the water.

Go to a local tackle shop and let them help you out with size of baits, weights, colors, etc.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Question

That weed wacker line is pretty strong. I wonder if anyone has ever incurred either danger or damage to a boat (t top) by getting their planer board tied up with say a 40' sailboat to use and example. I have seen one guide (who trolls a little) use a heavy plastic cable tie so that it will fail before doing damage to his t top/ deck. I know the chances are small but you never know with all the traffic out there plus all the trollers deploying their big spreads.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The only time it gets hairy is during the early part of trophy season when everybody seems to want to group up in one spot at the same time. (totally unnecessary). A little common sense goes a long way. Fall has been a piece of cake, way less boats. I think the big key when starting out is to keep planner board lines at a reasonable distance, approx 50 feet until you get some experience running them. I have 2 sets of lines one 75' and the other 100' and put 5 lines on the 100' lines and 4 on the 75' lines all tandems with no weight other than the weight of the baits. I use Scotty clips as I think they are easier and quicker and I don't have to worry about braid cutting a rubber band. I also have a set of Skip's boards and I love em, just the right size and they run great. I was one who was a planner board non-believer until I tried a 2 board set a friend gave me and I've used boards ever since. But the best advice I can give you is to not try to do to much to quick. I would start with a 3 board set and strongly recommend talking to Skip. Rod placement is critical and I run all my board rods from a rocket launcher off the hardtop, that frees up the cockpit for boat rods which I run shorter and heavier than the board lines to reduce the possibility of line tangle when a fish hits a planner board line which happens frequently. If your considering boards I would suggest HOing with somebody who runs boards to get an idea how it's done. Good luck !!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Amazing! I think I will stick to LTJ one rod and one bait, sometimes two if I use a stinger fly. It sounds expensive given the cost of umbrella rigs, heavy rods and other equipment needed to do this

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
I pul 5-7 rods off each planer board.

I start with one side all singles and the other side all tandems.If one side really starts catching-I'll add lures or take lures off.

I have 15-21 lures off the boards to start.The more lures in the water- the better.IMHO- the lures make vibrations like a small school of baitfish and attract the Rock.

If you hook a marker or sailboat - just cut the line with cutters or a knife.I do not think the line/crimps are strong enough to damage a T -top.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts