Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Even the DNR readily admits that they do not know. this was stated at the Tidal fish advisory meeting when a motion was made to cap the # of licenses.

"Gina Hunt, Director of Policy and Regulatory Programs, discussed the motion made in the January TFAC meeting to cap the number of recreational crab licenses sold and to increase non-residence fees. Mrs. Hunt explained that although the license is in regulation and is subject to change by the Department, there are functional problems in doing that. The current license system, COIN, is not equipped to isolate the individual license holders. Some of the crabbing licenses are included in other licenses, such as the $40 boat decal, and are not put into the system as individual crab licenses. This license is the same for both residents and non-residents. The Department cannot legally establish a fee that is unfair to non-residents; when these are changed, they are usually reciprocal fees.
Several of the Commissioners felt that if the Department cannot cap the number of licenses sold, then a higher fee should be charged. Mrs. Hunt stated that she would come back to the Commission with more information."

·
Banned
115 Posts
I have read this prior, but thanks for posting RJ. I find it interesting that they fear reciprocal fees from other states on Maryland residents. When you go crabbing on the shore and 2/3 of the plates at the ramps are from out of state. How many Marylander's would actually care if Deleware, Va and other surrounding states raised their out of state crabbing licenses. Since very few residents travel out of state to crab. It is a joke. Finding out true rec numbers should be a top priority to get a handle on the actual take each year.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have read this prior, but thanks for posting RJ. I find it interesting that they fear reciprocal fees from other states on Maryland residents. When you go crabbing on the shore and 2/3 of the plates at the ramps are from out of state. How many Marylander's would actually care if Deleware, Va and other surrounding states raised their out of state crabbing licenses. Since very few residents travel out of state to crab. It is a joke. Finding out true rec numbers should be a top priority to get a handle on the actual take each year.
But, that's just it. MD and VA are reciprocal. Even if you fished seashore Del there is no license fee just as MD has no license fee for back bays and ocean. How many here actually go to PA, NJ and NY to fish?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But, that's just it. MD and VA are reciprocal. Even if you fished seashore Del there is no license fee just as MD has no license fee for back bays and ocean. How many here actually go to PA, NJ and NY to fish?
Good point Brian, I wonder why no one brought that up at the Tidal fish advisory meeting. :confused:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Tit for Tat...

What the heck, if you want to limit the number of rec licenses sold then I say we should also limit the number of crabs the commercials can catch on a given day.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What the heck, if you want to limit the number of rec licenses sold then I say we should also limit the number of crabs the commercials can catch on a given day.
Water_boy, you comparing a cap on rec licenses to the commerical catch is like comparing apples to oranges. As I stated in my first post, the commercial licenses are already capped, so wouldn't it be "Tit for Tat" to cap recs. also? At least if the rec. license were capped the DNR would have some idea of the impact they have. As it stands now no one knows how many recs are even crabbing. How can the DNR, or anyone else for that matter, accurately determine what impact recs have on blue crabs without hard numbers?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Water_boy, you comparing a cap on rec licenses to the commerical catch is like comparing apples to oranges. As I stated in my first post, the commercial licenses are already capped, so wouldn't it be "Tit for Tat" to cap recs. also? At least if the rec. license were capped the DNR would have some idea of the impact they have. As it stands now no one knows how many recs are even crabbing. How can the DNR, or anyone else for that matter, accurately determine what impact recs have on blue crabs without hard numbers?
I really would like to see daily recreational catch reports. For me it's not a tit for tat or a rec vs. comm thing. I just would really like to see the numbers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really would like to see daily recreational catch reports. For me it's not a tit for tat or a rec vs. comm thing. I just would really like to see the numbers.
I agree, I think rec. catch reports are a great idea. I only used the "Tit for Tat" because it was the title of Water_boy's reply. :D I'm not even sure a rec cap is necessary, but I think the DNR needs to know exactly how many recs are out there, in order to manage the fishery properly. ;-)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I second that. Until we have accurate, unbiased, and complete numbers, we'll never know the extent of how many crabs each side takes. All the speculation and estimates is fairly worthless, in my opinion.

We report our catch, why shouldn't the rec side have to also? If you kill a deer, you have to check that. Thats recerational. Tit for tat.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm more then willing to report my catch as a Rec... I only think it's fair to the Rec's and Comm's to report this so they get a accurate number of crabs being caught... They are now asking rec's to report there rock fish catch online, so why can't they do that for the crabbing rec's also. I think many of the crabbers I crab with would have no problem reporting there catch... Just remember it will and should benefit us in the long run... It's time to stop *****ing between rec's and comm's and find a common ground where we all can crab and just enjoy the sport...I'm all for the comm's, if it wasn't for them, I would never have fish, lobster, king crabs, shrimp, calamari, turtle soup, hahahaha,,, Etc.. Rec's should respect and honor a Comm when on the water,, because in reality,,, MAN there's plenty of bay out there,, so go find a spot and crab,,, Stop *****ing man...

G

·
I agree there should be reporting from recs if for no other reason to just get the numbers so there can be logical rather than emotional decisions madeabout the blue crab fishery. But, I see it as entirely unenforceable. How do you make sure anyone reports?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Since I'm a Rec and I normally come to this site for Fishing only and I'm a member of another site that I use for crabbing only... Maybe we can get both sites to put a link up to report the rec's catches and then sometime during the year we fax these totals to whom ever needs the info.. I'm think... uuuummmm maybe I can get the other site's moderator to set up a link for catches.. Maybe between both sites and us reporting voluntary it might help... Yes I'm sure most people will not report,, but if we can get some and pass that along to the higher beings maybe it would help...

G

·
I know that, but there are obviously more recs than coms, and a comm needs his license to make a living, so he has a great incentive to follow the rules. Another prob is what about all the unlicensed crabbers out there? and, DNR can't enforce the rules they now have, doubt this would take top priority. I have no reservations about reporting, i average one bushel every weekend in the summer from may thru october weather permitting (and assuming I can catch em!!) and 2 bushels if having family over (3-4times ayear).

·
Registered
213 Posts
So thats good,,, Already I have 1 rec thats willing to report is catch,, and thats a start.. I crab every week and normally catch anywhere from 1 to 2 bushels, from late May to late October, and would have no probs reporting that.. I could have become a comm this year If I had the cash and maybe next Year I will,,, but reality it would be only fair to report something...

·
Banned
115 Posts
Since I'm a Rec and I normally come to this site for Fishing only and I'm a member of another site that I use for crabbing only... Maybe we can get both sites to put a link up to report the rec's catches and then sometime during the year we fax these totals to whom ever needs the info.. I'm think... uuuummmm maybe I can get the other site's moderator to set up a link for catches.. Maybe between both sites and us reporting voluntary it might help... Yes I'm sure most people will not report,, but if we can get some and pass that along to the higher beings maybe it would help...
Interesting idea Mike.. I know for a fact that they already monitor BCA, so I am sure they would find that valuable. Might be worth setting something up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts