Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe 1 and I had mine yesterday and lost it! Last trip of the season we had a monster hooked up in 130 feet off BP on sat. Penn 330 40lb test 60lb leader 200'back small umbrella with a Todds Tackle chute . Could never really stop the fish it had us. Maybe 5 cranks in 15-20 minutes and massive head shakes....if the 60lb leader didnt break we would have fought the fish for another 15-20 minutes at least. I have caught many rock up to 48lbs but never ever had one do this. Even caught 2 40inchers on one line before. No joke this fish felt like it was a 100lber and almost spooled a 330 before the leader broke above the bait. This reel is way small for BUBBA found out the hard way! BTW I know what a 100lb tuna feels like and this fish was stout. Anyway we had a 24, 35, 38 and this beast that broke us off just north of BP. The pattern had been the edge from 55-75' previous weeks but we did bettar in deep water this week. I would like to hear from anyone that has caught a 60lb fish trolling and how long it took them and on what type of gear. Im up sizing all my stuf so this never happens again! Tight Lines,Happy Holidays and I hope you enjoyed the fish storydoh

HT

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Aww Man! Sorry to hear that. Many anglers know how that feels. Makes for a good "one that got away" story though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
sorry to hear about your luck i use 50lb line and 80lb leader spring and fall just in case of some thing like that but you still did good congrats

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Pedro sorry for your loss but I would not necessarily change to heavier tackle. Offshore we have encountered LARGE Blue Marlin and BF Tuna on 50lb gear ,trick is to clear everything else then circle them boat around the fish making ever tighter circles eventually the fish will tire and submit then you have another problem boatside that a net may ensure a loss.USE the Tuna door if available.60lb quality leader if you are targeting JUST a Bubba maybe should be bumped up to 80.What # setting was your drag at?If you are afraid of being spooled have a heavier rod reel ready to snapswivel onto the rod
reel LUGS then throw that rod over BEFORE reaching the end of the spool and fight until you gain enough line back to retrieve the origional rod.Never done that yet but if needed I am ready to go that route.The old saying theres plenty of fish in the Ocean gives little comfort BUT if you fish ALOT like I do you WILL get another shot.Should have been onboard Reelbuster when what I believe was close to a Grander bout spooled Derek from here w/30ish lbs of drag then broke off only to get on the WWB rod and when a crewmember bumped the Drag(mistakenly) up to what I believe was around 80-100 lbs ALMOST lost his life and went for a swim while harnassed in had it not been for the outboards being close together, him being HEFTY and Crewmember Tom Reed grabbing him by the belt and shoes...
BTW I use 330s and tld 25 singles and 30 2 speeds myself.Ever had a big girl tailwalk I have once...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Wow! That sounded like a real pig! Sorry that it got away. I enjoyed the read; thanks for posting.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
it sucks don't it. I had one on last year like that, I couldn't move it an inch, I didn't lose any gear but I think the fish was so big the hook just ripped out of its lip, I probally should of had the drag looser. I think someone will get a record within the next year or so, theres a lot of really big fish out there, but the odds are they are the ones most likely to get away

·
Registered
687 Posts
Wow.... Tough Break (Literally)doh

I too started up sizing some gear this year.
I had a day in October where we had 3 break offs and a snapped rod tip when we got into some big fish LTJ'ing.

No where near the size you were on but it would definitely have been our largest of the year.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I agree with David. When we hook big fish offshore its all about clearing lines and manuvering the boat. Sometimes ya just can't leave the boat in gear and horse a pig to the boat. If you can take a 100# BFT with 40# leader on the chunk, you should be able to take a big rock with 65# leader. If you really want to upgrade, its the leader that broke. Get a spool of 65# Momoi Blue Diamond line, it has a small diameter and brakes at over 90# test. A lot of our Tuna reels are spooled with 100# spectra and topped with 65# Momoi Diamond. Ya just have to change out the top shot a few times a year; a knick in the line will loose a fish for sure!

BTW; great report, wish you could have got him to the boat!

·
Registered
72 Posts
After everything you can always say all the "what if's" but in all honesty when this situation occurs i have found it best to try and slow the boat down to minnimum speed (0kts). If the fish is MASSIVE, you wont mind the big tangle that occurs after it all lol. but in all honesty my motto is "get the fish in the boat and worry about the rest later"...Best of luck to you and hopefully BUBBA comes by again

·
Registered
643 Posts
if the YOY index predicts fututre fishing - a couple of the biggest YOY spikes ever are 'maturing'. print out a striped bass age/lenghth weight chart, see how old a fish has to be to challenge the record 67.5#. then look back at those tallest spikes on the YOY. the fish from the biggest YOY spikes are 'coming along'. i feel like the ground is rumbling and cracks appearing,...

if i understand it right -the number of eggs a given fish can spawn is proportional to the size/weight. everything says the big ones in the bay right now can make our future. whether you see the cup as 1/2 full or 1/2 empty, it's pretty obvious how it winds up if it keeps getting same harvest without putting back.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fellow who was "up" had never trolled for stripers and gave up after 10 minutes or so where I gladly took over to see what the problem was. He couldnt do anything on his first trolled rockfish and I gotta laugh now about it but this guy had this shocked look on his face. I couldnt beleive it myself when I grabbed the rod. You can not be taught what todo in this situation if so I want to sign up. The 130 ft hole off brickhouse is where she lives.

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
Sorry for your loss:bigfish: That is a sick feeling that will take some time to forget. If you fish a lot you will eventually experience it. You can blame it on the strength of the leader, condition of the leader, type of the knot but in the end, it don't matter. Adjust and go back out! We fished that area on Friday and got a 40 but heard of 2 50's caught there that day.....one was checked at Angler's at 50 3/4 inches and 52 pounds. Thanks for sharing..........Gary

·
Registered
167 Posts
Man that sucks!!!! As others said your leader was strong enough to handle any rockfish. Maybe there were rough spots in the parachute that cut threw the leader from all the stress of bubba. Hopefully you will have a another shot at her.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
If they would had found out that two different people fought the fish you probally would had been disqualified from any record anyway

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry your beast got unbuttoned. You'll get him again. FWIW, I wouldn't change a thing. IMHO, You mastered half the battle of hooking up to a monster:bigfish:, you can tweek the rest. Must have been really exciting fighting it!

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I'm guessing you did not have the room to turn the boat on the fish with the traffic out there yesterday or maybe long planer board lines didn't give you the agility you needed once you realized what was on the other end. By then it was too late, as the fish chafed the leader until it broke. Been there a few times and now I try to stay away from the fleet and clear lines quickly in case Bubba's around. Your gear was enough to land the fish IF everything went your way...IMHO.
Heard you on the VHF describing it and felt bad for you. You'll get another shot:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
a little off topic, but I read on CNN that a submarine just docked in Norfolk to remove a Todd's Tackle lure in its hull

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's quite a story Pedro, sorry to hear she got away, you will get her some day, hopefully I am on board to witness it and hopefully, I am "up" and I won't be giving the rod up either.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
You'll run 80lb braid / and leader next year! It only takes one to make you want to be sure it doesn't happen again!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts