Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much anchor line and chain is required for chumming in the bay in a 22' boat (5,000 lbs)?

Looking at windlasses and being my first one will likely get the already made up chain and anchor. Which is preferred the 3 strand or the 8 plait?

I am looking at Lewmar windlasses and am on a budget. Looking at the V700, Pro-Sport 550, and Pro-Fish 750. What are others using / liking? Any other affordable options?

Thanks.

Aaron

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Get as much chain as possible (20'+) I use 30'. 8 Plait line is a must to reduce windlass jams. Get at least the 700 series if not the 1000 if you plan on using it for fishing (frequent moves, not just anchoring up to swim for the day). I have found that the Horizontal windlass is less jams than the vertical too. Pro-fish offers free fall but generally anchoring in the bay is less than 45' of water so not a huge advantage.

Lewmar was great to deal with. They rebuilt my v700 2x before I decided to upgrade to the Pro 1000. (I do a lot of anchoring while bait fishing in the summer)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
i had a 25 maycraft PH that i wanted a windlass for. i researched it, and most if not all the "smaller" windless's require you to cleat off the anchor line after deployment. in other words you cant drop it and use the motor to hold it. im sure most dont bother to cleat, but with my luck, i would for sure have an issue. never bothered.

i am curious if greg cleated off his 700.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Nope. never cleated off the 700. I also have been known to re-set up a number of times per trip, sometimes a dozen or more. I also have been known to leave the boat in reverse against the anchor line too to hold the boat against the wind when the current opposes the wind. I do this to hold the boat in a particular spot to allow me to drift live spot back with the current over an area I want to fish.

I admit that I am rough on equipment. My V700 required rebuilding due to the abuse I put it through (Lewmar always took care of me too -good company). I finally sold the v700 after the last rebuild and put a pro1000 on. So far so good after 2 seasons. I know it it eventually will blow up.. Cost of doing business :)

However I recommend getting the largest your budget can afford. I dont think it is much more to get the 1000 over the 700.

I am getting excited for live lining as I type this :clapping2:

·
Registered
788 Posts
V700 is a good bet with the pro fish 750 being a second choice. I don't cleat off my lewmar while fishing. I do while sleeping. You will appreciate the added expense of the 8 plait line. It will save many headaches. It should also last longer before it gets ratty. As far as chain goes 15' is good 20' is better and 30' is best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts