Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reading the thread on hunting leases and what they are worth. Noticed somewhat of a different of opinion. I think the question to ask is "WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY TO HAVE SOMEWHERE TO HUNT"?
So far this year I have joined 3 Hunts Clubs. ($1400) Fed 26 hounds all year ($3000) Purchased $3700 in tracking collars and I feel I got a deal. Hunting is expensive and going up all the time.
Bubba[angel][angel][angel]

P.S. The reason I feel I got a deal. One of the clubs just lost 1100 acres to a subdivision. Someone paid $8,400,000 for the property.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
$50 to A.P. Hill for almost 50,000 acres.

$20 to Fort Pickett.

$3 to park at Pocohantas State Park.

That is it. No workday. No raffle tickets. No whining.

Works for me.

Dayton

·
Registered
728 Posts
National forest stamp and have more acres than I could ever hunt. Not able to scout it as well as I would like due to the 4 hour drive, but my buddies and I do very well because we know the terrain and how to call [wink].

I also go in deep and RARELY encounter other hunters.

I just can't bring myself to get tied into a club with all the rules and scheduled workdays. I am only able to hunt a week and a couple of days per year so I'd rather it be on my terms. Besides, if I spend a few $ on broadheads or rounds, my wife rolls her eyes and I HATE that [grin]!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ranger, I like those numbers for sure. I would like to try that some time I went to the A.P. Hill web site and it is very interesting and big bucks are there for sure....Bubba, not willing to spend that kind of money and not really sure I need to...or able to convince my wife I need to [grin] if you know what I mean....

Mr clarkson yes you can hunt in Pocahontas Park as well as Chickahominy Wildlife Management area off RT5 in Charles City County. That place would I suspect be a great place, I plan on checking it out one day.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Pay to play, this year $3000 on a NM elk hunt, 500 on club dues, 1100 on collars and box and 600 on dogs. Not counting the money for broadheads, arrows, gas, food plots, and when I get hungry.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Earlyriser said it all.If you want to play you got to pay.
I refinaced my house to purchase land to hunt.If I had not, that would had been one more piece we lost to someone else.
I couldn't even begin to tell you what I pay to hunt.Way over a $1000 a year.I just paid $1800 in taxes alone on land we hunt and it will be a long time before I start to get any timber $$.

And yes you can hunt cheap on public land but that's not my game.I live a few miles from Pocahontas but I drive 50 miles to hunt.I like to know exactly where everyone is hunting,like in our private hunt club.On public land you are not sure where ANYONE is.That's my 2 cents.Not knocking anybody that hunts public land because some can't afford to join the high dollar clubs or want the bull that comes with clubs.That's why I like a small group like we have and there is still b$tching.But I have seen some really nice bucks killed on public land.Just be careful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ya'lle go head and hunt public land.

I'll pay's my money and ask my permission ta hunt the bean and corn fields.

No Comparison

None whatsoever

I've done the public land thingy

I'lle never go back

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have been hunting in clubs for years I feel the only safe way to hunt I have 2 sons that hunt both are 18 and just a safety thing for me. We have killed some nice bucks on public land 3 or 4 guys and one of my bird dogs in middle of week. Just to many nuts on public land shooting at movement. my nickel

·
Registered
877 Posts
I just tell my wife that the cost of hunting & fishing is cheaper than a therapist/marriage counserlor anyday.... she didn't see the humor in it though [tongue]

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good replies from all. I have to agree that the public thing isn't for me. Have heard some real good plus stories, but at the same time I've heard some horrors. Although I have never hunted public land I really can't make a honest opinion. Regardless of where you hunt safety is the #1 game.
Bubba[angel][angel][angel]

·
Registered
185 Posts
[Q]Sea-Ya originally wrote:
I couldn't even begin to tell you what I pay to hunt.Way over a $1000 a year.I just paid $1800 in taxes alone on land we hunt and it will be a long time before I start to get any timber $$.

I can't begin to tell you how much I've spent on hunting. WAY WAY over $1000.00 per year. And I just paid $2,600.00 alone on property we DON'T hunt. But what the HECK does that got to do with the price of tea in China ? NO BODY CARES ABOUT YOUR "INVESTMENT" ONLY THE HUNTING RIGHTS !!!! If you bought that land for hunting only and for us to hunt then you got more money than brains...so why are you complaining?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts