Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions on trolling that I am sure you guys can help me with..

1. Is there a method for calculating how deep you are trolling? Since it is highly dependent on what your dragging, maybe you guys can give some examples of the lure and how much line you let out to reach a certain depth.

2. Is there a method to mark your line so when you let the line out you know how much is out?

Thanks for any help.

Kirk

·
Registered
54 Posts
as far as figuring your how deep you are running i dont have the answer but I have seen some charts showing speed to how much line and type of lure as to how deep it runs some one here im sure has info on them. However i do mark my lines i use floresent paint and put a spot every 50 feet so i do have an idea how far my lines are out

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
That's a GREAT chart! CaptDave has one similar to it that is a little more geared to the lures commonly used locally, but that one is still good.
Many people mark lines but using level-wind reels makes it even easier. You can tell how much line is out by counting the number of times the guide goes back and forth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info and ideas.

How can I get one of the Capt Dave's charts?

I talked to some folks and they used permanent markers (sharpies) to mark the line. Here is what I am going to do. I am going to mark my 50 yd with one stripe, 100 with two, 150 with three, and so on up to 200. That way if I want to adjust the lines after they are out I have some reference. Memory is not good enough when I have 7 - 9 lines out and I might have set them at various lengths.

Thanks,
Kirk

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The best way I know how to mark your line distances is with colored thread. I use blue at 30', red at 60', yellow at 90', green at 120' and black at 150'. Past 150' I count 1000/1, 1000/2, 1000/3 etc. When someone besides me is letting out the lines I tell them to let out to the color I want. I use 30' intervals because all of the lines are marked the same whether they are being used for Spanish Mackerel, Bluefish, or Rockfish on the planer boards of in the rod holders. It takes a little time to wrap the thread around the lines but it's worth it and it's fool proof. I also dab them with a little super glue to keep the wraps from sliding on the line.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If your trolling rigs are dedicated ( one for a heavy mojo, say, another for stretches) if you measure the drop back on land just drop a piece of masking tape on the reel over the line then wind back up. As you're letting out line on the water you can see when you're getting close to the tape and slow down until you get to the exact spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts