Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We pulled in two nice rock last week on Eels last week outside of Cape Charles. We caught the fish at sunrise. By the time we got to Chris's tackle shop, it was 2:00 in the afternoon.

The Larger Fish weighed in at 48 lbs and 14 oz. My friend Dave A was wondering what weight it was when he pulled it in the boat. We had the fish on ice as soon as possible.

The second fish was 38 lbs.

Question:
How much weight is lost in the cooler over 5 to 7 hours?

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
There's a lot of variables: Is the fish bleeding, did it spit up bait (or, send it out the other end), was it cube ice or shaved ice?

To maintain the maximum weight, the BEST way is to keep it alive in a live well. Second choice, in a brined slush of shaved ice. DON'T lift the fish with a hand under it's belly, and get it out of the net as soon as possible (to keep the "slime" on the fish).

Okay, so none of that answers your question "How much weight did it lose?" Well, if it's just from being in a cooler for the time you mentioned, I'd guess under a pound.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the opposite problem. My fish grow with time. I can catch a 28 inch fish and a couple days later it's 32 inches when I'm telling my buddies about it.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
They are shrinking!!!. That's why I see all the pictures of the 41 inch, 50 LBrs, and here I thought you guys were exagerating. Seriously though, AL B is dead on, if the fish is kept on ice, and then dunked in slurry, it will weigh right at or more than when you caught it.

·
Premium Member
26,140 Posts
This time of year with that much ice the loss is nothing.She was close to 50 but not quite.Check your hand scale against the marina's-it may be off a touch.Also a live big fish on a moving boat can make the sale tough to read.Best info that I've seen says about 1% of weight is lost in 12-24 hours IF the fish is covered in ice and not bleeding.At worst case you lost 1/2 lb of weight on that fish. Skip

·
Registered
678 Posts
Interesting to see this post as I had a similar situation.
A caught fish, 44", around 2 pm on Sat.
Sat in my little cooler with the tail and head sticking out but the rest on ice until about 1 pm the next day, roughly 23 hrs.
On my bathroom scale, the fish weighed right at 38lbs.
I hate to think my 5 year old missed his citation due to weight loss and time in the cooler.

Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks Big Jim. That's what I figured. And after reading many posts, I thought the 44" would have been short of weight compared to what others were catching.
We did not have anything to get a length measurement, nor a scale on board, so we kept his fish of a lifetime to eat and show off back at home.
I agree about the bathroom scale, however my Chatillion scales only go up to 30 lbs. Time to invest in something a bit more heavy-duty.

·
Registered
658 Posts
they usually loose 10lbs easy when they go in the box because those big bellies will hold a gallon or 2 of water at 8lbs /gallon. especially troll caught fish draggin in em with their mouths open they all fill up with an extra 15lbs of water , ever go rootin thru the box for that extra fat one you put in there?

·
Registered
750 Posts
both mike and myself were pretty surprised that his 45" fish went over 41 lbs the other day. been our experriance that the fish need to be in the 47" range to make weight.

·
Registered
160 Posts
How many college football scouts come to your house to sign your 5 year old? The fish was probably just a few pounds less than your kid. My five year old can bearly reel in a 22 inch roskfish.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I've been surprised at how close the handscales are and for the money, it's a nice investment for sure.

When I first started catching Rockfish, I thought every 40" fish was close to 40 pounds (they look huge compared to the schoolies I was used to catching) then I weighed a 40" er and it was like 28 pounds. GOOD LAWD what does a 50 pounder look like?

I've also weighed some 44" fish that looked pretty fat...34-35 pounds mostly. This year, I had a 44" fish weigh in offically at 40.5 pounds (it did have 8 eels in it's belly which certainly helped and no, I did not jam them down there :) ) and have seen some 47-48" this year fish go over 50 on official scales. The determining factor is girth and how thick the fish is from it's head down to the upper part of where it begins to thin out after the "exit hole" if you follow me.

We measured a 47" fish that weighed 50 1/2 pounds and the middle girth was 30", the girth near the head was 29" as was the girth down near the exit hole. I'd say if your fish is 44" or better and the girth is pushing 29-30", you should have a winner. Otherwise, a hearbreaker at the scales.

Our fish did not lose much from cooler to the scales, maybe a pound if that.

Nice fish though...CONGRATS

Glenn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts