Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I'm posting this hoping it might help someone else not make the same mistake, (and because it's a good story ;-)). Please resist the urge for lectures, I already know I &$#ed up!

I went out to the bridge in my jon boat tonight for a few minutes of fishing before dark. It was a little windy, but not too bad. I found some fish on the jig north of the bridge. I drifted off the spot and started the engine to reposition. There was a very strong outgoing which had some crab pot floats pulled almost under. When I made the turn, I hooked one which wound around the prop and killed the engine. No problem, I'll just reach out and pull it off. This is where things started heading south.

The line was wound around the prop too tightly, so I needed a knife. I could barely reach back to the prop, and wouldn't you know it, I dropped my knife on the first try. I looked around and the only thing I had to cut with now was my braid scissors. I don't know if the current got stronger or the waves got higher, but the crab trap was holding fast and this time when I reached out to try and cut the line I took water over the stern. I tried again, thinking I could maybe saw the line into before taking too much water. The water came rushing in so fast I had to stop right away. Worse still, the extra water in the boat had lowered the transom now so that waves were starting to splash over. ****.

This was quickly turning into a survival issue. I got up on the bow with Crockett, pulled out my flares and put on my life jacket then started going over my options. Even sitting on the bow I was getting a little water over on bigger waves and I knew my little bilge pump wouldn't keep up. Figured I had about 20 minutes. I made a survival plan when - thank god - another little boat came chugging up from the bridge.

After I flagged them down and got cut loose, I started wondering what I could've done differently. Of course, the primary thing would've been stay away from the crab pot, but I honestly didn't see it. That boat is too little to be out in anything but dead calm, so I guess that was a mistake since things change so quickly. You can bet I'll always have a back-up filet knife with a lanyard handy from now on.

I stayed with the fish, footballs up to 28" tonight, bottom bouncing Strike King Zulus because there are still blues around, nothing on top-water, but dang, that was a little more excitement than I hoped for!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
dam shawn ...aint talked to you in a while....gotta watch yourself but thank god you got outta there...be careful..:thumbup:true hillbillys always perservere:D

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Gotta love crab pot floats when the current is running :D. You fish long enough- sooner or later you get in a jam.The better ones leave cool scars :pp to remind you not to do that again.

Glad you got out of it OK :thumbup:.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Great story, I'm sure alot of people learned something from that. I've been in 1 storm with a 13ft Boston Whaler and will never forget that. Glad everything worked out.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
As long as all ends well you just chalk it up as a learning experience. You always wonder how you would handle an emergency. Luckily mine hasn't come yet to test me.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Shawn I saw you out there...It must have been before you were in distress. I knew it was you because I saw Crocket up front. Glad you got out of the situation. I agree with you- the conditions changed very quickly tonight. The eastern shore current picked up heavy and so did the chop. At least you caught fish:rolleyes:

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
**** Shawn, gald you are ok.

hey, you got some pullage;-)

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Glad this one had a good ending. I would get a Dexter Russel bait/utility knife. I comes with a black plastic sheath and the blade is partially serrated. It cost less than 10 buck and will cut rope alot better than a filet knife

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
Hey guy ........ you're on the water all the time and know the seas .......... just proves that anyone can get in over their head at any time .......... Glad it turned out good ........ :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Thanks for the details Shawn. Always a learning experience listening to close calls that others have had. I'm sure many here can learn from your misfortune tonight.........Mark

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Glad you are ok brother! Thru all that you still managed a fishing report!

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The solution just hit me. I had a mushroom anchor under the bow. I bet I could've thrown that upstream and pulled the bow around which would've given me time to work. Oh well, hindsight's 20/20.

BTW, when I told my wife the story she said, "Was it an expensive knife?" :52:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
then started going over my options.
Shawn- I am sitting here at the computer wondering what I would have done too. That's a crazy story. I don't have any answers, just wondering what I would do if something like that ever happened to me.

Depending on how far away you were from shore I guess my last resort would be to put on a life jacket, tie a bowline around myself, harnass myself to the boat and try and cut my prop free from in the water. . . Of course this was only if my boat was going to sink and I was going to get wet anyway. At the very least I would have a shot at getting back to the dock before hypothermia set in.

Would it be possible to grab the crab pot line and try to tie it to the bow at least so you would stop taking water over the transom or did you not have that much slack at all. Would it have been possible to simply try and pull the crab pot on the boat?!?!?

Like I said I dont know the answer. That is a crazy story and i don't know how I would react in a similiar scenario. I am glad you are OK! As you know, that's a serious life threating incident.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow, that is some story. Glad everything worked out. The best part is it sounds like you stayed calm and started working on plan B and C. You at least had a life vest and flares, and were working through the progression of what to do next. A cool head always prevails. Congrats on the fish to boot!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Gotta love the SWMBO Glad you are okay Shawn and Crockett the best thing you did was kept your head, decided on your option and was ready and you catch fish too.
I never crabbed but would it have been possible to pull the pot itself up and put it in the boat ?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
BTW, when I told my wife the story she said, "Was it an expensive knife?" :52:
:roflguy::hysterical: Well, bud - you certainly know where YOU stand in the importance lineup !!

Thanks for the story, Shawn - just a good reminder to all of us who frequent the water to pay attention and always have a backup plan.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. Sometimes I forget how fast things can go wrong onn the water.Love your reports and I see this didn't stop you from gettin one out. Thanks for sharing. It helps all of us out. As things cool down we all should be a little more vigilant. Tightlines, BOB.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts