Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather looks decent on Friday - hoping to get out for Perch near the bridge.

Curious if anyone has been to Sandy Point ramp to check out the ice ?

Hoping the NOAA boat has busted a clear channel.

Any up to date info would be great.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I saw a trail where someone broke out when I went across this morning, but I don't think it got above freezing all day. Judging by stuff on this side I'd say at least an inch by tomorrow AM. Matapeake usually takes longer to freeze if you're jonesing bad enough to drive across.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Skip, you are the man to go out fishing in this weather. I love fishing but its to cold for me. Call me a wimp, I don't care. I hate this weather....

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Skip I live on Deep Creek just off the Magothy and we have ice behind the house. With no wind today it will freeze even more.
I'm looking forward to reading those Virgil Poe Magothy ice fishing reports from the comfort of my chair! :thumbup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went out this evening and was able to launch and pull with only minor inconvenience caused by the ice. Majority of the lagoon is iced in about 2”thick, but one ramp is open and someone had gone out this at some point earlier today although there were no other trailers in the lot when I got there. One of the research boats pulled in a little behind me so that might open things up a bit more. I would say you should be able to get out tomorrow morning as long as you are willing to push through a little ice.

Fishing was decent although I missed the strongest period of current having to deal with nasty traffic due to the snow. I caught rockfish to 24” and a one perch. Surface temp was 37 and the cline seemed to be at about 35’.

Any tips for targeting perch specifically during the winter? Catching rockfish on 6# braid is plenty fun, but it would be nice to catch perch instead when that is the objective. Thus far I have primarily been jigging a small spoon with a small dropper above.

Good luck if you make it out,

DAN

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Use minnows on double rig, you can get them at Anglers, may givr it a try tomorrow which looks better than today

1 - 9 of 9 Posts