Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get information on how to flash freeze menhaden and other bait fish that I am planning on catching this year. I would like some How To articles or even pointers from you all on how I should do this. Keep in mind that I have never done this before.

Thanks,
Cursed

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
theres better ways than that to do it - menhaden have that soft mushy meat that after it thaws is almost impossible to keep a hook in - salt/brine mixes can be found in the surf section.....more like fish jerky and used as bait if you will.

of course fresh is always best- can you throw a cast net ? if you can,then theres no need to ever freeze bait..........you can get fresh bait with a trap or cast net 24/7

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can throw a cast net, but I also have a gill net that I use and was wondering how to keep the menhaden from being mushy. I can get about 100 lbs of menhaden in a couple of hours with the net.

For the cast net, where are some good areas to catch live bait around the HRBT?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Lots of Kosher salt and seawater to make a thick brime. Submerse the menhadden completely in the brime and freeze. The mixture will not completely freeze but will preserve the fish pretty well. I use this approach for keeping Flounder bait.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
They won't freeze all the way in the brine slush. It will toughen them up and if frozen after brining, make the frozen bait a bit better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts