Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the easiest way to get started crabbing from a boat for personal use? Do you just buy the larger pots drop them off go fishing for a while come back and check them go fishing for a while then come back and check or is there a better way to do it? Total newb here so thanks for any info

·
Registered
14,253 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Everything you need to know about trot-lining is in that file!

When you say "Larger Pot" I'm assuming you mean the commercial style pots not the small recreation crab traps.

The commercial Pots are for commercial licensed fishermen you can use up to 30 recreation traps if you purchase the crab recreation permit.

Most tackle shops have the required permit also Check the MDR web site for the LAWS.

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Everything you need to know about trot-lining is in that file!

When you say "Larger Pot" I'm assuming you mean the commercial style pots not the small recreation crab traps.

The commercial Pots are for commercial licensed fishermen you can use up to 30 recreation traps if you purchase the crab recreation permit.

Most tackle shops have the required permit also Check the MDR web site for the LAWS.
Dale, That is MD law. I believe in VA you can use a few pots as a rec without being a waterfront property owner........... Gary

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
In VA you can use two "commercial style" crab pots per person without a license.

The most common way that folks get started down here in SE VA is to "chicken neck" for crabs. Generally it is a go to the beach activity but you can do it off of the shore or pier. 20 feet of nylon string and a 2 oz weight per line. Two different approaches one is to tie two or three lines to a 6' long stick planted in the sand in about 3 feet of water. That or you tie a string between to sticks and have 6 to 12 lines 20 feet long tied to it. When the lines go tight start pulling them in slowly and dip the crab up with a crab net.

Here is a link to the specific rules.

http://mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/recfish&crabrules.shtm

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
You don't need a license to crab recreationally in Virginia's saltwaters as long as you don't use commercial fishing
gear. Hand-netting, dip-netting or chicken-necking for crabs is permitted as long as you don't take more than one
bushel of hard crabs or two dozen peeler crabs in a day. Also, you can set up to two crab pots per person recreationally
without a license. They must be properly buoyed and marked with an "R" for recreational and some way to identify
they are your property. Annual recreational crabbing licenses are available for $36, allowing you to set up to five
crab pots. Crab size, season and our Blue Crab Sanctuary provisions apply to everyone who crabs in Virginia waters.
What you catch recreationally must be for personal use only. Any sale would
make your crabbing activity a commercial fishing operation and subject to commercial crabbing regulations,
including possession of a commercial fishing license.

http://mrc.virginia.gov/Regulations/recfish&crabrules.shtm

I used to drop pots on Friday night, work them on Saturday morning on way out to fish and again on the way back to dock.
If I could I would leave them in till Sunday when I left for work week.
When I retired I worked pots 3 times a week--- do not leave pots in water unchecked.
IMHO the best bait is menhaden and is well worth picking it up at local seafood shops.
PM me if you would like to talk , I believe were in same area! ( btw, I looking for Spanish again tomorrow)

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Woop's! Tom had not posted when I started mine.. :)

OH, and stay out of commercial guys lines and general area.. your pots will likely dissappear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts