Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read somewhere that perch need to be measured with closed mouth for the tourny... but I see lots of open mouth pictures on the leaderboard. Seems to me that open mouth tends to add a good 1/4" to a big perch, but I have made an effort to take all photos with closed mouth. I know this is all just for fun, but do we have a rule for this? When I head out in next couple of days looking for the big one, should I continue with closed mouth pictures or add the 1/4" by photographing with open mouth?

Jason

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy to get closed mouth picture when they are dead... when they are alive though, pretty much have to hold them down while taking the picture.

Here is what I suggest for next year... make it clear in the rules that closed mouth pics/measurements are preferred, but open mouth pictures will be accepted with a 1/4" penalty.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Jason, You are correct, the measurement should be made with a closed mouth and pinched tail if needed. All of our Tournaments are with a closed mouth to make it fair to all the participants. I didn't have this stated in the "sign up page" rules list (I Forgot) but did just add it, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I haven't said anything about the open mouth fish that have submitted because I really don't think that a 12" and under fish will win the overall tournament. Other than last years 12.50"er that won, it usually takes a 13" plus fish to get the job done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts