Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I booked a fishing charter out of OI on the XXX XXXXXXX , months ago. Got six buddies that had scattered across the USA overtime to finally met in Nags Head for a Tuna/Mahi/Wahoo trip. We came from as far as Colorado, Florida , Virginia and Western NC. Was in touch with Capt at least once a week in the last month. It was a Miracle we could book this and get together with our Jobs and Families. So we were extra excited. Especially since the weather looked good ( jun 4th) . The Bite was hot to as we found out later that every charter around was booked solid 2 weeks. Mind you we got hotel rooms for Wed-Fri to do it right .

Talked to the capt that week early making sure everything was a go and we were told that yes come on the bite is on to excite us even more. Called the night before and everything was on schedule. WE all ate right and stayed for the most part away from the Alcohol to help avoid sea sickness.

Were up at 3am and at the dock at 4:30 1st mate there already cutting up bait, and the Capt shows up around ten till.
I could see a private chat between the mate and Capt over the boat console but made no heads or tails of it. Motor on ropes off , were the first to cut loose and away we go. So to follow was the rest. at first I did not notice the Shimmy in the motor, it was vibrating the mid deck , I noticed the other boats passing us as we slowed way down. Have no idea what is going on.
We slower than the others approach Bonner Bridge and under it and out into the Most dangerous place on the East coast.
I notice we are not as fast as the other boats and seem to be off course a little as the rest of the fleet are passing us.
Then in the middle of the shoal , Poof a big lack cloud of diesel blows out of the back end. Then the sinking feeling as the boat did an about face. WTF all this anticipation and now this?

so we limp back to the dock through the inlet which we got sideways once ( that was Hairy) to find out the boat has been doing this for 30 days , we were told it fixed itself every time but twice .. Twice in the last week. We were never told this prior thru the phone calls from 2 weeks earlier when the problem did not correct itself.
Also Sensors were replaced on the day before our trip with no test run to verify if fixed or not.
We were ginny pigs on a gimpy boat from a capt who thought is was ok to take 6 people thru a dangerous inlet on a known problem. There was no High rpm speed, the boat would choke , the only way it would run was slow.

How would you react? I'm trying to be civil but the more I think about how we could avoided Air fare , Gas and hotel
expenses if we would have had a call when it happened. Boats don't fix themselves and I am pretty pissed off that we were lead to believe we were in safe hands.
I don't know how to report this so it would be addressed. The 1st mate did try to call another boat but as earlier stated everyone booked 2 weeks solid.
I do understand weather and that the trip could easily been cancelled anyway but when everything lines up right to have this happen its inexcusable to let us walk into that.
The kicker was the Capt saying Im glad it happened today again so maybe we can get her fixed , expressing that there was a problem to begin with but yet never concerned that we could have floundered out there. I never heard I'm sorry either. I feel bad for the 1st mate who is taking over this boat. I know him He is a good Capt but yet he Bull****ed us as well telling us it was rough anyway and other boats were coming back. BS it was calm seas and everyone caught lots of fish that day..

WHAT WOULD YOU DO

You only loss clients and a days pay we lost a lot of money due to an ignorant act

·
Registered
403 Posts
So you didn't make it over the bar and got no refund??? I know the rule down there is once you make it under the bridge it's usually no refund time, but that is usually reserved for trips canceled due to rough seas. That sucks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd enjoy the fact that you and your buddies got to meet up for some good eats, cold drinks, and a nice time at the beach. I'd tell the captain i was sorry for his troubles and that I hoped the fix was a cheap and easy one.

Keeping a big boat running is a lot of work and expense and the unexpected happens all the time. I assure you the captain wanted nothing more than for the day to work out. I suspect he made the best call he could and thought the boat would run when he told you to come down.

Sorry you had the troubles and hope the next time goes well for you.

Ed

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got 3 miles off way past bar but we had trouble from the dock, just kept going perhaps hoping it would fix itself again. That's when it go hairy and we listed very bad once before he got it turned right. No monies were lost , there is a Deposit check that supposed to get torn up , I guess we will see.
I under stand boats, I have one right now in northern neck with a blown engine. They are a bastard to keep running. But I don't do it for a living.
As hard as the industry is I understand getting paid. He wasted his day and I know he tried but at our expense. WHen this occurred we had plenty of time to rebook but not at the moment of the issue. Everyone was booked solid which means the bite was on. Everything was linning up and then the
big let down. Its hard to see the happiness of my buddies on the doc knowing what we are about to do to have it over like this was hard on a mans soul.
I bit my tongue which is hard for me. That's why no names on here. If you want to know the boat PM me . But to publicly crucify him would be a little far.
Hanging with my buddies was great but the long faces were not ... I got a good hookup now but wont do my buddy from CO any good..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts