Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has had filter clogging on their HPDI Yamaha and what they do to prevent problems. I just had a Vapor Seperator Filter replaced that caused some gas starving problems on my 150. I always used Stabil the first year ethanol was everywhere. Supposingly had it replaced during a 300 hr service, but it caused me to limp home after 100 additional hours. At the time between replacement and almost completely clogged I had religously used Marine Stabil (supposingly formulated to prevent ethanol problems).

TF'er Tom posted sometime ago how to clean filter and said using the yamaha fuel treatment and ringfree seemed to keep his clear until the time that he sold his boat.

Just wondering how other people have been dealing, and where the closest ethanol free stations are to the peninsula (N. News).

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
390 Posts
re

hpdi yamas are a fuel injected nigthmare anyway and burn pistons fast because of the way the fuel system is, high 93 octane or a octane additive is the only way to go and running 2 filters a fine screen and a Seperator that will collect the water before it hits the sec filter. hopes this helps you, chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Chris. Yeah I put a Racor on the same time Ethanol showed up. Also kept the tank full worried about condensation, later told this isn't an issue unless you have a metal tank. Filters aren't cheap either, have the Racor I change around 6 months then there is a larger seine fuel water sep under the cowling then a metallic housed filter that looks like what you would have on a car before you even get to the VST. VST ran me $40, but was told they had recently dropped in price by about half, as did the filter between it and the yamaha fuel water separator.

The stabil and 10 micron racor have stopped me from having water problems. Never floated the alarm switch and I have never seen water in the see thru bowl of the racor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been running two 200 HPDIs for over five years. This spring I did the 200 hour/5 year checks which includes changing all of the filters mentioned and the low pressure fuel pumps. The only indication I saw of fuel problems was a small amount of blockage on the vst filters. The engines have run flawlessly on ethanol and I only use regular gas. I use Ringfree on every fill up and Stabil when I put it to bed for the Winter. Other than a minor surging a month ago which was not fuel related, my motors have not been to a mechanic in five years. I do plan to change the vst filter every hundred hours. It is fairly easy and around $40 for the filter and bowl gasket. On thehulltruth forum I have seen several comments about the 250 and 300 HPDIs having problems but the 200 is regarded as one of the best engines built. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
The 150 and 200 HPDI have proven to be a couple of the best outboards made.

They are more sensitive to bad fuel that some other outboards, and don't make a great repower choice in this e10 world because the e10 scours the varnish off of older fuel tanks and runs it through your fuel.

I leave the tank near empty over the winter, run pri-G stabilizer and change the fuel water sep filter every spring. Here's my write up on cleaning the VST filter:

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/chesapeake-angler-original-board-maryland-angler/250692-hpdi-owners-cleaning-your-vst-filter.html

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
I use Yamaha spin on filters - the larger ones and change them every 75 hours.These are 10 micron and seem to trap most of the crud.

I did my VST at 750 hours after the motors started to run funny.They had some crud on them.After changing the VST filters - they ran fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. Aside from this recent issue my 150 has run well and been efficienct. Looking at the filter today after drying, you can barely see sunlight through it. At 375 hours I'm definitely not getting the life you did Skip.

Do you think draining the VST chamber of fuel between running would help? Filter is at the bottom so at least it wouldn't be bathed in Ethanol. I know you want the system full before running because of the pumps, so I always prime before starting.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The Condensate is building up in the VST , Especially if kept in the Sun.

Draining would help for long periods of storage.

I'm now using the Blue startron additive after using no stablizer in the past.

Les

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
The Condensate is building up in the VST , Especially if kept in the Sun.

Draining would help for long periods of storage.

I'm now using the Blue startron additive after using no stablizer in the past.

Les
Les - How would condensate build up in the VST? There's no air moving through there. And what does the sun have to do with it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
HPDI + 10 micron water sep fuel filter + startron + full tank + only Yamalube brand oil =

...no problems

Run 'em like you stole 'em.

:cool2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No water problems, just a white build up. I sprayed half of the old filter with wd40 hit with a brush and you couldnt believe the difference. That is a solvent breaking something down.

I'm using startron from now on to see if I get better results. Mechanic told me the bluer the better. He said red stabil and sea foam seemed to cause alot of filter problems. I had been using the new marine stabil for about a year.

·
Registered
166 Posts
ive had probs with my filters clogging inside of the engine. I have a 300 hpdi. Also curious about a product called ten 35. I heard it is the end all additive and instead of emulsifying the water and trash it drops it out of suspension so your filters can remove them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts