Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been putting off cleaning my VST filter for way too long. It's supposed to be done every 200 hours, I think. But the tank is intimidating. Lots of hoses and electrical wires. And the thing has been running like a sewing machine.

Skip's travails with his motors gave me the kick in the butt I needed to tackle this job. Like all the other outboard maintenance jobs, it turned out to be simpler than expected. Moving carefully, this first attempt took about 45 minutes. Next time will be even quicker.

I found that there are really only 5 bolts that nees to be removed. And then the 9 or 10 screws that hold the tank together.

1. While the tank is still mounted to the engine, loosen the 10 phillips head screws.
2. Remove the three mounting bolts.

3. Remove the 2 bolts on the bottom that hold that thingamajig on there.

Now remove the 10 screws, and separate the lower half of the VST tank.

The filter is on the bottom of that fuel pump inside. It can be removed with a counter clockwise twist. Mine was clean as a whistle, so I just shot it with carb cleaner and replaced it. But it looked the same before and after. Very clean. If yours is real dirty, you might want to replace it (about $30). The tank itself was also very clean, with just one black spec of something on the bottom. No sediment or anything.

They recommend replacing the oring, which I did (a shocking $32!). Next time I may reuse it though - it looked great.

That's it. Bolt it all back together and test it out to make sure there's no leaks. None of those other hoses or wires need to be removed. It might stall a couple of times while the tank refills.

So after 700 hours and 5 years, 3 of which were e10 years, I was delighted to find it nice and clean in there. I change my 10 micron water separator annually, run ring free and buy fuel only from high volume gas stations (not marinas.)

Hopefully this save you a few bucks. I think the OX-66 VST is very similar.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Very nice Chris. I can't believe it's been 5 years and 700 hours! That's how long I've had your other boat? Wow. Honda has changed my VST a couple times, once on a recall and other when it needed it because it would loose RPM's when I gave it gas. It seemed to have fixed the problem a couple years ago and now it's doing that again. But I've never done it myself. When I look on line at a parts diagram, I can't see where the filter is inside the vapor saporator and don't know how to order a new one. I'm hesitant to take it apart.

Or my problem could be an air filter problem and I can't get the screws out to look at the air filter, or where I think there is an air filter. Plus I've only used my boat once since May.

Good job on yours and thanks for the tutorial. I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate it. Merry Christmas.

I imagine the fishing will pick up your way with this warm weather.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yea, tackled my 02 F225 last winter..clean as a whistle. I run ring-free religiously and change both filters annually.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
don't forget the filter in the external oil tank, LP fuel pumps, and engine mounted fuel filter.

the injectors also have filters, but they need to be sent out (i believe?) to be serviced.

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
PAX...nice description... I had problems with my VST filter earlier in the year. Since I am a complete dope when it comes to mechanics I had Gootees diagnose the issues I was having and replace the VST.

After hearing Skips story I am glad that I didn't have any damage. My filter was VERY clogged. It was the first year I had to use E 10 and I think I paid the price.

Gootees suggested that I use the Blue Sta Bil in additon to Ring Free...

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jon - My rig is a 2003 and I bought it in early 2005 with 62 hours. So four years for me.

And your rig does not have an air filter. I'd go through all your fuel filters again.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John - I was responding to the other JON. Salmo Trutta. He was asking about an air filter which few outboards have. I've never seen one, anyway.

With regard to injector filters? I don't know about those. My hope would be that with 4 filters upstream, that the injectors see nothing but fuel.

I've serviced the water separator, the medium pressure filter and now the VST filter. And I check the engine mounted water separator, which always seems clean (though I may at some point change that cartridge too.)

Next Up? At 1000 hours, I'll clean the o2 sensor again and change the HP fuel pump oil.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Just my 2 cents. I have a 2000 yam 225 ox66. I puchased it 3 years ago and had a few small problems the first and second years. First year the motor started bucking and jiving, soluion vst filter. Same filter shown in this thread $95 for some thing that looked like it came out of my lawnmower. Note, O ring can be reused but tend to shrink when exposed to sun & air. Second year I lost WOT, rpm's maxed out at about 4000 and fluxuated alot along with increased fuel consumpion. Soluion O2 sensor about $300. Good news 3rd. season, 54 trips, 1500 miles, 700 gallons of fuel and NO PROBLEMS!:thumbup: I know I just shot my self in the foot for next season.:yes: Happy Holidays to all!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So - the O2 sensor is cleanable - You don't have to replace it. Soak it in ringfree overnight and you're ready to roll.

Unless it's REALLy bad....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I cleaned my VST filter a couple of years ago when my outboard began sputtering after E10 gas. It turned out to be super clean also and it was mostly the moisture in the fuel. I spent $40 buck for a new o-ring but decided to reuse the old one since it looked perfectly fine. However, once the o-ring was removed, it looked like it expanded ever so slightly which made it very difficult to put back into the slot. I ended up putting it in the freezer for like 10 minutes which shrunk it just enough for me to put it back in. It's kind of tricky and I am not sure if I would do it again but I did reuse that o-ring without any problems. Anyway, I still have a $40 piece of rubber band for the next time. BTW, there was a great step-by-step set of instructions with pics over at thehulltruth when I did this.

Henry

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
pax have not decided. however, i do know injector failure caused by dirt, will let a motor run lean and blow-it. i looked in the manual and they appear relatively e-z to remove. now is the time to do it, just don't know. ever hear the old saying......if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Great post and photos :thumbup:. Glad to see your VST filter was clean.

One tip - been there/done that: Place a clean shop towel under the VST before removing it. Just in case one of the tiny SS screws falls- the towel will catch it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey thanks man i finally have been able to have the courage to mess with it especially with all that plumbing. i have paid for this service many times and now i can save some more money for gas,bait and ice!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Pax, thanks!!! I just followed your directions after being towed in by Sea Tow yesterday with a clogged filter. Man, you made that easy!

Many thanks!!!!

Win

1 - 20 of 27 Posts