Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the non-fishing post. Discovered about a dozen quarter sized blisters or bubbles on my keel (one of which is on the hull) when she was pulled last week. We will drill holes, drain, dry, and re-coat the spots. Doing the entire hull would be $3000 - $4000. Anyone ever encounter this? should I expect many more blisters next winter or will the patch job be sufficient for now?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Sorry about the non-fishing post. Discovered about a dozen quarter sized blisters or bubbles on my keel (one of which is on the hull) when she was pulled last week. We will drill holes, drain, dry, and re-coat the spots. Doing the entire hull would be $3000 - $4000. Anyone ever encounter this? should I expect many more blisters next winter or will the patch job be sufficient for now?

Thanks
This is not a difficult DIY fix but time consuming. The key is grinding out ALL the affected fiberglass and you will probably have to grind out an area larger than the actual blister to get back to solid glass. Once they are all ground out, you need to make sure the areas are completely dry. a heat gun or hair dryer works well for this. From this point, depending on how big/deep they turn out to be, you can fill them with a good marine filler like Marine Tex (DO NOT USE AUTO BODY FILLER OR BONDO) or a better way is to re-fiberglass the individual areas with cloth and resin. When the filler or glass cures, you can sand smooth and re-paint. I would strongly suggest you consider doing the entire bottom with a barrier coat which will prevent the problem from re-occuring. But that's not an easy job and involves stripping the entire bottom of paint, throughly sanding and applying the barrier coat, I believe 3 coats is recommended. While you're under the boat it's always a good idea to check the caulk around your all your thru hull fittings. These are common areas for water to invade fiberglass and cause blister or delamination problems. You don't mention how big your boat is or the age but this is not a problem I would ignore. Spending the extra money and/or effort now will prevent more serious problems in the future. Hope this helps. Good Luck

·
Registered
292 Posts
Moisture Meter

I had this problem and had it professionaly repaired. If you do it yourself I would recommend buying, renting, or paying someone to use a moisture meter to identify all the trouble spots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts