Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a one year old fiberglass boat that is not bottom painted. We usually trailer the boat, but plan on keeping it in the water over the weekend several times during the upcoming Spring Catch and Release Striped Bass season on the Susquehanna Flats. Leaving it in the water for the weekend seems to be a more convienent option. I have been told that I may have to be concerned about staining from the water. I have been told that this can happen as quickly as overnight. Should I be concerned? We will be on the Northeast River.

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
You can get the tan/brown stains in a long day.Use a good quality boat wax and clean the stains off as soon as you can.No way to avoid it.Boaters World sells a cream that will take it off when normal washing won't.Just be sure to rewax the hull-that stuff takes the wax off in no time. Skip

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
if you get lots of stain, use a product called on and off, its an acidic cleaner but it will take all the stain off

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Deck cleaner at Home Depot. Green container. Bear? squirt it on, hit w/a sponge, and rinse off. Better rewax.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I keep a boat in the NE river. I've found the stain comes off fairly easy if you wash it right after pulling it, once it dries it's a little harder to get off. You could hit the self serve car wash at 40 & 272 next to the McDonalds on your way home.

Mark

·
Registered
126 Posts
I second ON/OFF, i use it every time that we remove our boat. (our boats bottom painted, but we keep it in the water, and even the water from boat wakes will put a stain on the fiberglass). just be careful using it. its some tough :censored:

Mark.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
299 Posts
"Lime Away" ($1.75/bottle) or any other toilet bowl cleaner at the supermarket will take water stains off the hull.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Read all cautions on the label. On and Off is the easiest I've ever used, DO NOT breathe the vapors. If you do NOT heed this warning.......you'll know it immediately, and especially....keep the kids away from this stuff ! !

I use a clean 5-gal bucket, pour in about a cup of On & Off ( you'll see the smoke come out from the bucket here), then wet a long handled tire brush with the on & Off, wipe on the stain, and rinse.......also, be sure to cover any painted / of / galvanized trailer, or at the very least keep it wet before using the On&Off, and rinse asap, you'll see it work immediately. I also re-wax after several cleanings .

·
Registered
614 Posts
You can get the tan/brown stains in a long day.Use a good quality boat wax and clean the stains off as soon as you can.No way to avoid it.Boaters World sells a cream that will take it off when normal washing won't.Just be sure to rewax the hull-that stuff takes the wax off in no time. Skip
Another product that does that well (and is reputed to be better for the environment) is Slimy Grimy. Many/most marinas in the upper Chesapeake area sell it...

TED

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Letters

Read all cautions on the label. On and Off is the easiest I've ever used, DO NOT breathe the vapors. If you do NOT heed this warning.......you'll know it immediately, and especially....keep the kids away from this stuff ! !

I use a clean 5-gal bucket, pour in about a cup of On & Off ( you'll see the smoke come out from the bucket here), then wet a long handled tire brush with the on & Off, wipe on the stain, and rinse.......also, be sure to cover any painted / of / galvanized trailer, or at the very least keep it wet before using the On&Off, and rinse asap, you'll see it work immediately. I also re-wax after several cleanings .
---As some of us charter boys have found out , Don't use ON/OFF on Boat Name letters, as it will fade or if painted on Will Remove em ---As far as hulls , themselves ,will remove stains even if not done Every Day & left for one Grand clean up --geo.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
All these remedies are fine for fiberglass - But your boat is plastic, right? Ropolene or something?

I'd call Triumph and see what they recommend.

btw- Lysol toilet bowl cleaner is awesome for hull stains on F/G.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Prior to the season, coat your hull with Starbrite PTEF polish, it contains teflon like a non stick frying pan. When you pull your boat, have a half dozen terry towels or clean rags. While the hull is still wet, just wipe the stain off. If that doesn't work then result to the on & off or similar weapon, but be very aware of the warnings. Have left the grady in for a weekend or two in the magothy and that works fine for us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The waterline streaks are called Tanin which comes from the decomposed leaves and such in the water. The solution that removes it is called Oxylic Acid which is found in many of the already suggested products.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wipe down the hull as soon as I clear the ramp, still wet most everything will come off. Any stains come out with Meguire's Swirl Remover and then re-wax the area.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
easiest thing we have used is a product called "Y-10" (Boaters World, West Marine, etc)
it is a jelly that is applied to a small area to sit, but not dry!, and wash off with soap and water.
worked great on the deep stains that would come off with other products.

make sure you wax when done!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
TriSodiumPhosphate called TSP can be bought from any good paint store. It's cheap.
Mix it with bleach and water as the instructions on the box.
It will remove mildew stains and the brown stain too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. Are any of the acid cleaners suggested capable of damaging the gelcoat?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a terrible stain on by boat last year, and tried everything under the sun to remove it. Finally got a product called Fiberglass Stain Remover (FSR) and it work great. It's very similar to Y-10 if not identical, and took the stain right off with no scrubbing. Rinse with water and you're done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts