Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys ever use one of these castable fishfinder rigs?
http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?ID=391
I fish from a canoe quite a bit when the weather cooperates (Swift Creek Resv.) and have thought about getting one of these so I'm not fishing blind [smile].

I guess one would run about 50.00 this time of year. Not much resolution, but I have a buddy that's used one to locate crappie in SCR and he says it works well. I read a couple of reviews on the internet that stated "don't bother" which is what I would do if I found out from you guys it don't work worth a damn.

Anyone ever use one?

Also considering a small trolling motor and canoe mount if anyone has one sitting around that works.

nw

·
Registered
457 Posts
I.ve seen them in use and did'nt care for it, but I'll probably have a Garmin unit w/ suction cup transducer on my kayak by spring. they seem to have better resolution to me and run off 8 d cell batteries.

Darren

·
Registered
167 Posts
Got one, not that crazy about it. Better than nothing.Go with the best portable unit you can find, make sure it works off of (D) batteries and not (C).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with Blackie. Dont bother with that. You are much better off with a full screen portable with the suction cup transducer. Thats what I use on my Canoe in ponds. They all eat batteries though.
Bil

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
I,ve got 2,one for a spare.I consider them very useful in my Kayak,Rental reservoir boats & from shore.I also plan on using it on an inflatable.Batteries are inexpensive at Radio shack.They're just common watch batteries.They don't work well in a wake or choppy water.Probably because they are wireless & the antena bobs around on the transducer.On flat water they work fine.you have the advantage of casting it out from shore or from a boat & finding fish without having to run on top of them to find them or spook them.I just tie a string to the transducer & hang it over the side attached to the vessel.The advantage is no mounting required,no heavy batteries or worry about spilling acid,much more mobile use and you can carry it in your pocket.

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
PS I also have a portable that I used for many years with a suction cup.It served me well,especially in remote places like on Canadian Fly in Lakes where there was no electricity to charge batteries.They're just bulkier & sometimes the suction cups come off the hull.Those batteries are more expensive to replace & heavier.You can't go wrong for the price(Ive heard they're sometimes on sale for around$70)and their compactness.Carrying an extra battery the size of a quarter isn't a problem either.They're around $3.50 ea.i would say they last several days.let's say at most it will cost a dollar a day or less,depending how many hours per day you fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts