Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Wany 10 they had a segment on duck hunters (s) that had died after the duck boat capsized. I think Jet Ski Brian helped in the rescue?:bigangel: I have never met Brian but the guys name was Brian and on the wall behind him were some photography that looked like his fine work.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
There was an unfortunate event in the creek behind our house yesterday where a local young man lost his life while duck hunting. Another man made it to shore and our house yesterday morning. The water right now is around 37 degrees and it was a windy day on a small boat and unfortunately no life jackets were on the guys or found in the boat. Please remember to wear the appropriate safety equipment, especially in the winter cold water months. The Poquoson Police, Fire and EMT personnel were amazing and were at my house within minutes of the call. VMRC was also there for the investigation. It was sad to see the loss of a young life and my wife and I feel for his family. Be care full out there!

Here is the story on Wavy TV 10 Hampton Roads;

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/duck-hunter-drowns?ref=scroller&categoryId=10011&status=true

·
Registered
816 Posts
So Sad...

Good work Brian.

Prayers to the family:bigangel:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Great job Brian

What a bummer about the loss. I can't help but wonder why the guy who lost his life did not walk in... unless they were in the channel when they capsized.

I live right around the corner on Roberts Creek.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have fallen into water that was 55 degrees or less...and I can tell you it literally sucks the air out of your lungs and makes you gasp for air. If you're underwater when that happens...it's probable that you will suck water in your lungs and not recover. They will figure it out, but my bet is drowning.

I feel very sad for the family. Prayers to them...

Bill

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Lesson to be learned--shallow cold water can still kill you. As was said, that initial plunge kills most of them. Only a PFD on your body does you any good.

Trust me. I rolled a canoe in the James in sub-freezing weather, but I was both prepared and lucky.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, your muscles spasm and lock up and straight to the bottom you go. A PFD keeps you afloat until the spasms pass, and then even in freezing water you have time to swim a bit before everything shuts down.

This is so easy to happen to any of us. Daytime, not alone, and in a creek . . . not a time I would normally be wearing my PFD either. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Gatorman, you are right. I have fallen into 56 deg water twice and you cannot believe how it affects you. First you suck in a big slug of air (water) and then you are so stunned it takes a few seconds to figure out where you are and even then it is difficult to think straight. Fortunately, I survived both. Brian was also on WVEC 13 evening news. Condolences to the young man's family.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
So sad prayers to the family hopefully this will motivate others to posses life jAckets. No matter how deep how good of swimmer or how close to shore, cold water is a fast killer. Chances of lasting 2-6 minutes in water this cold once the first jolt of being submerged sets in is so unlikely. ALL boaters should understand the dangers of this and prepare for the worst while out there in conditions like these. Although this is part of the VA Boating Safety course, if you havn't taken it yet, and you will be required soon, at least read the information here at this link
http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
How long was he in the water before he was found? Its scary how fast something like that can go so wrong. Just out hunting with a friend one minute and the next being found dead in the water. Way to go Brian for doing everything you could to help out. Martin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts