Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
dumb a_____

they say they hope it was an accident. how do you accidentally shoot a horse? stray bullet?

I guess the same way orange deer accidentally get shot every year

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was on the island this past weekend. They had a Huge crowd of people, more than I have seen in years. When I was checking in Saturday I was amazed how many people were their buying ORV passes, and getting hunter numbers. Their were way to many first time hunters on the island that clearly did not know the rules. I saw quite a few people not wearing 2 items of orange, and going into the closure zone.

I hope that the poor judgment of one person does not jeopardize the access to the island for future hunting opportunities.

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dumb a_____

they say they hope it was an accident. how do you accidentally shoot a horse? stray bullet?

I guess the same way orange deer accidentally get shot every year
I hear ya Chris! Objects in scope may appear larger than they are.:hysterical: I have hunted on a horse farm for the past 10 years and often the deer are in the same field as the horses. 0 fer 10 on horses!.I bet the guy that shot him is looking for a good dermatologist to get it mounted...........Gary

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have hunted over there many times. Each hunting group is assigned a zone and you are not allowed to go out of your zone while hunting. They should be able to narrow it down to a group. Each group is limited to 5 hunters. It would have to be one of the five assigned to the zone.
LBubba

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have hunted over there many times. Each hunting group is assigned a zone and you are not allowed to go out of your zone while hunting. They should be able to narrow it down to a group. Each group is limited to 5 hunters. It would have to be one of the five assigned to the zone.
LBubba
Zones?? Limits?? Maybe for the State AI hunt. I have been hunting every year on AI for the last decade in the Federal managed hunt. I have never seen thoes guidelines in the regulations.

http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/hunting-at-assateague.htm

·
Registered
657 Posts
Charges filed in shooting of wild horse:clapping2:

BERLIN -- Park rangers say a man has now been charged in the January shooting death of an Assateague Island National Seashore wild horse.

Rangers charged Easton resident Justin B. Eason with illegal taking of wildlife, use of a weapon that endangers persons or property, destroying from its natural state living wildlife and knowingly giving a false report. They also charged Preston resident John A. Eason II with giving a false report.

Each violation carries a maximum sentence of six months' incarceration and a $5,000 fine.

Chief Ranger Ted Morlock said park officials were pleased to finally move forward with the case, one that has attracted some public attention.
"There was continued interest," Morlock said. "People did not forget about it. The frustration was shared that it was taking so long."

The charges against the men stem from January, when a wild horse at Assateague was shot during one of the park's annual deer hunts. The 28-year-old bay mare, known by identification number N2BH, was found dead by a hunter on Jan. 15, the first day of the hunt, and the find was reported the following day. The horse was found on the Maryland side of the island in the park's remote backcountry.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Baltimore, National Park Service investigators and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives assisted Assateague rangers in investigating. Although park rangers identified a suspect from the 140 registered hunters who'd taken part in the hunt by March, officials said charges could not be filed until evidence was tested at a federal crime lab. Morlock said much of the delay in filing charges came from waiting on that testing.

"And part of it was paying close attention to detail," he said.

Morlock says while it is possible the case will go to trial next month, it is more likely it will not take place until early 2012. In the meantime, Assateague's annual hunt will go on as it has since the park opened in 1965.

The horse's shooting, however, has prompted park officials to reduce the number of hunters allowed from 140 to 125.

"We were looking at doing that before this," Morlock said. "And this was just another reason to scale it back."

Still, Morlock says January's "unfortunate incident" does not reflect on the hunters who have visited the park responsibly to help thin its large deer population.

"The success of our hunting program has always depended on the cooperation of hunters and our shared interest in the resource, good sportsmanship and ethical hunting practices," he said.

Maryland court records show Justin Eason was found guilty of hunting without a license and hunting on private lands in 2008. John A. Eason II, according to court documents, was found guilty of setting crab pots out before the legal time in 2010.

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20111102/NEWS01/111020356/Charges-filed-shooting-wild-horse

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sounds like ballistics identified the guy/gun. I don't hunt there and I'm not familiar with the regulations so what is the "use of a weapon that endangers persons or property" charge? Do they restrict caliber or something?

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts