Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be staying at Hunting Island the 28th thru the 4th. Any advise? I'll have fly surf and casting gear. Whats available and where do I go?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
I just got back from Hunting Island. Below is a link to my search for fishing info. I actually posted something here too but the link is gone.

I didn't catch much, but also did not get to fish as much as I had wanted to since the other people in my party were not diehard fishermen.

I fished the south inlet from the beach a little bit and only caught a large stingray. I fished up in the lagoon from the shore and didn't get a bite. I wish I had taken more time to fish as the middle and lower lagoon areas had a lot of grass that probably held fish on high tides. I fished off the pier one afternoon and caught a few small sharks, panfish and skates. Some guys down from me hooked something 3 feet long that jumped but lost it.

I wish I had tried the ocean surf a little more. Down near the southern end there is a sandbar you can see at low tide. I saw a decent size drum eat a crab in the shallows on my last day.

The tide has a dramatic change down there, probably rising and falling 10 to 15 feet. hard to believe but it really drops and you can see the effect on exposed pier pilings.

I did see some folks fishing under the last bridge you take to reach Hunting Island. They fished on the hunting island side and there is a small area to pull off the road. I would try that with live shrimp under a popping cork or maybe live mullet or minnows if you can get them. I saw one guy with several fish on a stringer under the bridge. Another area I didn't know about until it was too late was the boat ramp area and the canals around it. This is the boat ramp down by the public pier. Lots of oyster beds visible and perhaps some drum or something else might be prowling that area. I would probably try that area myself if I were to go back. I never met any diehasrd fishermen while I was down there so gathered no mor einfo than what I have been able to share here.

Good luck!

http://www.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33213

Oh yeah. It was emberassing in a funny way but a kid in our group caught a decent size flounder with his bare hands in a pool of water trapped on the beach as the tide left. They all razzed me good about that. I think that was the only time that week the kid had put down his video games and left the beach house. Ehh, my point being that flounder are obviously out in the surf and move up pretty far during those drastic tide changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wasabi,
Thanks for the nice report. I'm heading down to see my brother in Beaufort in a few weeks. I'll pack a pole and take your suggestions.

Regarding the flattie, not sure if you ever tried flounder gigging before. Never saw anyone do it with their bare hands, but it is kinda a local pasttime. :) Maybe pack a gig and a flashlight next time?

·
1,292 Posts
I'm heading back to Hunting Island this coming week. Hoping to build upon my poor showing last year. Anybody have any recent experiences to share, or tips for that location?

·
1,292 Posts
In case anybody is heading to Hunting Island...I spent the week slaying black drum in the surf. Frozen shrimp on the outgoing tide was the ticket. This was my first experience catching black drum and I had blast with them. Easy to clean and tasted great too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts