Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live and hunt in Maryland where baiting deer on private land is legal but not on public, and hunting with dogs is not legal anywhere. Before anyone calls me a "yankee" check a map Mason Dixon Line, Maryland is south of the Mason Dixon line so is a southern state.

I don't bait. That being said, I'm not bashing either method because I believe that since deer are so over populated virtually everywhere, they should be harvested by any legal means. I have a couple questions in the hopes of understanding other's views that have been posted in other threads.

1. How is hunting on a trail leading to a bait pile any different than one leading to a corn/bean field or a planted food plot?

2. At least one poster who is pro dog hunting has said that hunting with bait is not sportsman like. How is using dogs to chase deer to you any more sportsman like?

3. Another post said that if someone dosn't want the dogs on their property they should build a tall fence. Why should it be the other property owners responsibility to keep your dogs off his property? If I go in your yard without permission and your dog bites me it's my fault, if your dog comes in my yard and bites me is it still my fault because I didn't build a fence to keep him out?

4. When a deer is spooked or chased, it releases adrenaline which I am told taints the taste of the meat and adds to the "gamey" taste. Those that have killed deer both by dogs and without, is it really noticable?

5. Years ago I read an article that in at least 1 state (I don't recall where) it was illegal to hunt deer using scents or bait. The article was about a hunter who in the off-season maintained a bait pile but also had a piece of cloth with aftershave on it there. During hunting season he did not bait but he did wear the aftershave that the deer then associated with food.
Do you agree with using scents? What if it's apple scent, is that baiting?

6. Personally, I'm a meat hunter. I will take any deer, big, small (except with spots), buck or doe. Some people that I hunt with feel that only bucks should be taken, and some of them feel that they should have 8 pts or better. Your thoughts about meat vs. trophy hunting?

Chuck

·
Registered
633 Posts
Meat hunter here if it's brown it's down. Yes I can tell the diffence in the meat from a running dog kill and one that was shot standing still with rifle etc.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I can't taste the difference between a dog run deer or a shot dead deer. The theory is simple...lactic acid builds up in the running deer. I just can't taste it. I've heard the same thing about tuna brought in quick vs slow. I can't taste the difference. Maybe thats just me. I'll eat just about anything...except liver or vegetables.

BTW you are a Yankee. I don't care where the Mason Dixon line is drawn...Maryland is a left wing gun hating Obama loving tobacco taxing Vovlo driving sushi eating Blue state ( except for the peninsula which retains its ******* heritage )

Join a dog club in Va. Tons of fun.

Dave(Raised in Philly, now a good southern boy)

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I can't taste the difference between a dog run deer or a shot dead deer. The theory is simple...lactic acid builds up in the running deer. I just can't taste it. I've heard the same thing about tuna brought in quick vs slow. I can't taste the difference. Maybe thats just me. I'll eat just about anything...except liver or vegetables.

BTW you are a Yankee. I don't care where the Mason Dixon line is drawn...Maryland is a left wing gun hating Obama loving tobacco taxing Vovlo driving sushi eating Blue state ( except for the peninsula which retains its ******* heritage )

How are you gonna feel about that statement when Obama wins Virginia? I'll bet my county in Mayland (carroll) has a higher return for McCain then your coutny.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
I've ate so much deer meat this past week that my farts smell like tinks doe in heat. I can tell the difference in meat taste from a running deer to a walking deer for sure.

·
Registered
337 Posts

It is what it is, if it sounds like a Yankee and talks like a Yankee then it must be a Yankee.
Yea at least go hunt as a guess at a good dog hunting club in VA before you come on a public forum knocking it when you don't have a clue what it's all about. Just teasing about the Yankee part so don't prove me wrong unless you are.

:clapping2:

·
Registered
365 Posts
How are you gonna feel about that statement when Obama wins Virginia? I'll bet my county in Mayland (carroll) has a higher return for McCain then your coutny.
I guarantee that Obama will not win either Virginia or North Carolina. Va might be close, but the pollsters are somking crack if they think THE ONE has any chance in NC. I live in Henrico county, as red as you can get.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It is what it is, if it sounds like a Yankee and talks like a Yankee then it must be a Yankee.
Yea at least go hunt as a guess at a good dog hunting club in VA before you come on a public forum knocking it when you don't have a clue what it's all about. Just teasing about the Yankee part so don't prove me wrong unless you are.

:clapping2:
I hunt at the Pleasant Shade hunt club in Emporia. Page 1
Great club. We are looking for new members.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've ate so much deer meat this past week that my farts smell like tinks doe in heat. I can tell the difference in meat taste from a running deer to a walking deer for sure.
If you really fart like that, then you are saving a bundle on Buck bombs. Can you teach me that trick. I am working 9 straight hours of skunk in the stands. I killed a deer on day one. I knew that would be bad luck for the rest of the month. Kinda like catching a fish on the first cast.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Over 95% of the Voters at Salem Church in Hanover county Virginia voted for George Bush in 2004. I hope that lots of other counties beat that this year.

·
Registered
856 Posts
If hunters are so called SPORTSMAN why would you have to use scents or bait.Hunting should not be called a sport,it is a tradition and your god given right,way of life.Ifyou are hunting just to kill and put heads on the wall than I guess you could say your a sportsman???The dog hunting thing has come down to a bunch of city dwellers buying 40 acres in the middle of thousands,trying to manage a trophy herd (CANT DO IT).We never had these problems 10 years ago.The only difference in a running deer and a still deer is nothing.They all taste the same to me and have been eating venison for 30 some years.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
1,107 Posts
1. How is hunting on a trail leading to a bait pile any different than one leading to a corn/bean field or a planted food plot?

2. At least one poster who is pro dog hunting has said that hunting with bait is not sportsman like. How is using dogs to chase deer to you any more sportsman like?

3. Another post said that if someone dosn't want the dogs on their property they should build a tall fence. Why should it be the other property owners responsibility to keep your dogs off his property? If I go in your yard without permission and your dog bites me it's my fault, if your dog comes in my yard and bites me is it still my fault because I didn't build a fence to keep him out?

4. When a deer is spooked or chased, it releases adrenaline which I am told taints the taste of the meat and adds to the "gamey" taste. Those that have killed deer both by dogs and without, is it really noticable?

5. Years ago I read an article that in at least 1 state (I don't recall where) it was illegal to hunt deer using scents or bait. The article was about a hunter who in the off-season maintained a bait pile but also had a piece of cloth with aftershave on it there. During hunting season he did not bait but he did wear the aftershave that the deer then associated with food.
Do you agree with using scents? What if it's apple scent, is that baiting?

6. Personally, I'm a meat hunter. I will take any deer, big, small (except with spots), buck or doe. Some people that I hunt with feel that only bucks should be taken, and some of them feel that they should have 8 pts or better. Your thoughts about meat vs. trophy hunting?

Chuck[/QUOTE]

to answer your questions

1. in my opinion a bait pile is a concentrated area of 15 of so feet...a bean/corn field could be acres and acres. We don't bait in Va they say it causes disease.
2. contrary to popular belief we don't kill every deer that the dogs run. the bigger bucks are usually killed by backstanders and are not being run by dogs....actually while the dogs are running a deer or couple of deer at a time. Most of the deer we kill on a drive are not being run they are just tipping out of way. I still hunt/stand hunt/ and dog hunt all have their place.
3. I don't believe fences would do anything but cost money. Dogs are gonna follow the deer and believe me the deer know the property that is safe. deer don't grow old by running into hunters they grow old by knowing how and where to escape. Most hounds don't bite unless you try to catch one with a mean streak...most hounds are hard to catch anyway. And I've only seen a few that would stop running a deer if the owner called them off it.
4. As for the gamey taste...I don't get that...I grind a lot of mine with beef fat but I guess the main thing I do is I age my meat in a meat locker @ 38-40 degrees. Our club can hang 25 deer at a time. I age mine 7 to 9 days so the meat gets tender.
5. We can use scents in Va and their is a time and place for them.... I personally don't like to draw attention to myself. Cover scents and attractants can work on deer that aren't pressured a lot (brings in curious deer) deer pee I think worked back in the day but now I don't think the pee is as pure as it use to be...too much on the market...kill a doe and use hers from her bladder.
6. We have so many deer I can kill one any given day. I choose to shoot big does and bucks that I'm gonna mount only. I do make mistakes...last year I took 10 does and 1 spike by mistake. Your preference but by shooting the does you can usually kill 2 or 3 with one shot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bait VS Dogs

The difference is that you can hear dogs running all day and never see the deer they are running, and when you do that mother is gonna comd through with his hair on fire. I can dump 50 lbs of corn in the yard tonight and I will have 5-6 deer standing around eating it tomorrow morning that won't run off when I drive out in the truck. In MD it's legal and if that is how you want to hunt fine, try to smoke one @ 100 yards running wide open across a cutover with a rifle and a pack of hounds hot on him and then tell me that deer didn't have a sporting chance.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Sounds like he's got an outstanding chance at getting wounded.

·
Registered
13,943 Posts
Just go out and hunt they way you like and stop this silly ass discussion on the board. If it is legal do it and if it is illegal, suffer the consequences...........Gary

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I've hunted deer for 40 years, can't taste the difference between running & standing deer.I'm a meat hunter but let the little ones walk on the other hand I won't pass up a nice buck. here in northern Md there are few private farms to hunt so we have had to hunt public land since the last property owner passed away some eighteen years ago. public land is hard to hunt as there is no planted crops as a food source & they get plenty of pressure from hunters, I'm of the belief that public land holds far fewer deer than private planted property. I've seen deer run by hounds & many stop to look back or listen making for a good shot. I hunt in a climbing stand near good deer sign & at times will lay a scent trail or put scent out in an area I'd like the deer to stop & investigate. I don't much care how anyone else hunts as long as it legal, the poachers steal from all of us.
One point I'd like to make is there are fewer hunters now than in the past, take a kid hunting & teach them all you can if they are interested, hunters are needed to support the sport for the future.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A couple of you people are real pieces of work! If you took the time to actually read what I wrote you would have seen that I was in no way anti hound hunting. I merely asked questions so that I could learn and better understand. You would also notice that I asked questions about other topics as well but a couple of you have your heads so far up your butts that you only read (and read in to) what you want. Some of you say hound hunting is "tradition", so was slavery but I doubt you would find much support for that now so I would drop that as a reason.

Again, to make myself perfectly clear.....I do NOT bait nor hound hunt and feel that if either is legal where you're at I have no problem with you doing it provided that it does not infringe on another persons right to enjoy his property the way that he wants to.

Chuck

·
Registered
337 Posts
A couple of you people are real pieces of work! If you took the time to actually read what I wrote you would have seen that I was in no way anti hound hunting. I merely asked questions so that I could learn and better understand. You would also notice that I asked questions about other topics as well but a couple of you have your heads so far up your butts that you only read (and read in to) what you want. Some of you say hound hunting is "tradition", so was slavery but I doubt you would find much support for that now so I would drop that as a reason.

Again, to make myself perfectly clear.....I do NOT bait nor hound hunt and feel that if either is legal where you're at I have no problem with you doing it provided that it does not infringe on another persons right to enjoy his property the way that he wants to.

Chuck
Look who has their head up who's A$$.
Instead of being a prick try asking in the right way and you would get answers that you might want next time.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Hey we have enough enemies without dividing ourselves. I have no problem with anyone conducting a legal hunt. i was just discussing the topic at hand.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts