Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing about a shallow water bite. I can't find it. I keep hearing about birds everywhere. I can see those but, for me, they have not shown me fish. I fished Wednesday afternoon, Thursday afternoon, Friday afternoon and all day Saturday with hardly anything to show for it. (Shout out to all the guys who have been taking me fishing while my boat is laid up.) I could have fished Sunday but I was so disappointed I did not bother.

We fished the Chester from above Queenstown out and up darn near to Rock Hall. We fished the Miles from its mouth to St Michaels. We fished Eastern Bay from Prospect Bay to Poplar Island. I have not caught a single fish shallow. In deeper water, I have not done much better. I have fished all the humps and ledges I can think of from 30 years of fishing here. I have checked under the hundred or so bird shows we have seen. (With the bird shows, if we are lucky enough to get to one quickly, we might pick off a fish here and there, nothing with any size.) The schools of fish are so small that if you find them you might get two minutes to jig and then can't find them again.

I have not ben to the Choptank. I have not been to New Jersey. The fishing around here sucks. I am frustrated.

Pat

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,387 Posts
We tried shallow water for Rockfish and struck out too. I can't get to deep water to hunt for them so I can't help there.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Pat,
What lure are you using in the shallow water, >4'?
My go to is a white 4" sassy shad on a jig head light enough to get the job done.
If they are there, I fully believe they will hit the sassy shad.

Other than that, this is what I tell myself......

Hair Nose Cheek Head Hairstyle

·
Registered
233 Posts
I feel the same way. I've been going out once or twice a week for a few months with a few average catfish to show for it. I trolled for 12 hours yesterday with plenty of fish on the scanner. I tried bait, umbrella rig, Tony A spoon, rattle trap and a jig. I'm a total noob to this other than a few charters over the years.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,387 Posts
The 6 we got this year were bycatch, plain and simple. I don't target them, if we get one, great, if not that's fine too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The only shallow water luck I had was just as the morning's first light was breaking... a couple of 15-inchers on a bone colored popper in about 6', maybe 50' from the shoreline, on the western shore. Sadly, they were not keepers. I'm pretty new at this as well. My best results this summer have been with small 4" paddle tails, with about 3/8 or 1/2 oz. jig heads. I see the buggers on the plotter, stop the boat and jig for a bit. Doesn't work all the time, but its been my most-likely-to-catch-fish technique.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I keep hearing about a shallow water bite. I can't find it. I keep hearing about birds everywhere. I can see those but, for me, they have not shown me fish. I fished Wednesday afternoon, Thursday afternoon, Friday afternoon and all day Saturday with hardly anything to show for it. (Shout out to all the guys who have been taking me fishing while my boat is laid up.) I could have fished Sunday but I was so disappointed I did not bother.

We fished the Chester from above Queenstown out and up darn near to Rock Hall. We fished the Miles from its mouth to St Michaels. We fished Eastern Bay from Prospect Bay to Poplar Island. I have not caught a single fish shallow. In deeper water, I have not done much better. I have fished all the humps and ledges I can think of from 30 years of fishing here. I have checked under the hundred or so bird shows we have seen. (With the bird shows, if we are lucky enough to get to one quickly, we might pick off a fish here and there, nothing with any size.) The schools of fish are so small that if you find them you might get two minutes to jig and then can't find them again.

I have not ben to the Choptank. I have not been to New Jersey. The fishing around here sucks. I am frustrated.

Pat
Cause your fishing the blood moon🐙

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lots of good fish in the areas you mentioned. We fished both saturday and Sunday evening and we did really well. Saturday caught over 20 fish kept our 7 and largest was 29. Sunday was a quick trip with my boys caught maybe 7-8 kept our 3. Most fish caught on small umbrellas deep, as in bottom bouncing or one or two cranks off bottom in 45-50 foot. Any shallow rods were waaaaay back. Fish are definitely boat shy right now. They don't stay up long at all. We are using small dark baits or spoonbrellas with tsunamis.. They are gorging themselves on 4-5 inch bunker. The tank is also holding
fish of similar size. Key was deep and away from the boats in most cases. Birds had smaller fish up top bigger fish deep with larger schools of bait.
Water Shorts Boat Sky Watercraft

fish in similar depths off of Nelson Point.
Water Sky Cloud Vertebrate Bird
Food Vertebrate Grey Seafood Fish

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Tides been way low in the morning/evenings so I didn't bother with shallow water casting.

Jigged solo saturday morning. Sunrise at #10 in the tank and ran around the false channel and a bit south and harassed moving schools. They were hard to stay on.
Picked up 8 or 10 fish. Half a dozen or so keepers to 26".
Started easing home by 10 am.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,387 Posts
Tides been way low in the morning/evenings so I didn't bother with shallow water casting.

Jigged solo saturday morning. Sunrise at #10 in the tank and ran around the false channel and a bit south and harassed moving schools. They were hard to stay on.
Picked up 8 or 10 fish. Half a dozen or so keepers to 26".
Started easing home by 10 am.
The tides have been weird on the Choptank the last few weeks. Ultra low or ultra high, no normal tides.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
O Sea D and Buckshot - Your comments regarding the moon and tides are related and I have been wondering/hoping if that is the reason the bite has been so off.

I appreciate all the comments of people who have been catching - gives me hope.

Pat

·
Registered
351 Posts
Remember the 4 day NE storm either end of Sept or early Oct, maybe it was Hurricane Ivan? We thought that really disrupted the Bay, fished our usual favorite shallow water spots for both Rock and WP were MIA and they never returned. Last Thursday not even our Jigging spots from 20' to 50' held any fish though bait on the screen was plentiful.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,387 Posts
Remember the 4 day NE storm either end of Sept or early Oct, maybe it was Hurricane Ivan? We thought that really disrupted the Bay, fished our usual favorite shallow water spots for both Rock and WP were MIA and they never returned. Last Thursday not even our Jigging spots from 20' to 50' held any fish though bait on the screen was plentiful.
The folks I buy shrimp from in NC told me once that if you have a hurricane or noreaster it REALLY screws up the fishing for weeks. I was surprised that the temps rebounded like they did from 56 back up to 63 degrees which is probably why we still got perch up in the creeks along the shore. M saw a nice Rock when we were out at the mouth of The Little Choptank. I threw everything at it but a grenade and no takers because where there's 1, there's more.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts