Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
We got the boat out yesterday for one last run before turning it for winterization. Fished a few spots mid-day northeast of Pooles but south of Worton on the east side dropping a white perch with no weight and an eel with 3/4 oz. Start of incoming tide with south wind behind it. Hardly marked any fish in first 2 hours and several locations. Just as we were getting ready to give up the pink pole (with the perch) started zinging. Would of likely let this chucky 21 go if he was not gut hooked. Made a good dinner for my wife and I tonight. Was a damn fine spring and summer season in the mid bay from my perspective. However, fall has been a struggle for us.
Water Sky Cloud Casting (fishing) Angling

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Pat - Sorry you are not finding fish in shallow water -- it has been tougher this year than in some other recent years. I fish a lot, and it is almost always in water less than 6 ft deep. The spots where I like to fish in the Severn and its creeks and ponds don't have many stripers at this time, so I have looked elsewhere. Last Friday, I tried a new spot that is close to shore but on the western shoreline of the main bay, rather than up in a river. I trolled med and med/heavy rods with lures of various sizes and types from my kayak. On Friday's trip, I caught 20 stripers (two at 23" and one at 21"; the rest fat fish between 17" and 19"). One hit a crankbait, one hit a 4" paddletail, but all the rest hit a 3" white paddletail on a 3/16-oz jighead. The water depth there was between 3 and 6 ft.

Today I fished at two separate spots. During the morning, I trolled for four hours in 6 to 12 ft depth. The bite was not fast -- 13 fish in 4 hours of fishing, and only one above 19". All but one fish hit 3/4-oz or 1-oz bucktails with plastic tails. Lighter lures were ignored.

I moved to a second location after lunch and caught 30 fat and active stripers in 2.5 hours -- all on 3" paddletails (white on one rod and chartreuse glitter on the other rod). Most were 18" to 20". I had larger lures out for part of the time but they were not hit. The depth here was 3' to 6'. What I have found is that the fish are not all over the place -- they are clustered in a few areas. When I can find them, the bite is great. See the screenshot below that shows my trails and waypoints where I hooked fish. That view is less than 1/4 mile from the top to the bottom of the screen -- I kept working back and forth in that confined area. The bite remained fast until the tidal current slowed with the approaching high tide. But until I find the fish, I am just paddling around.

Art Electric blue Pattern Circle Font

I have not yet been near any working birds this year. Run and gun does not work well in a kayak, plus I am rarely out in the deeper water where I used to find the birds when I fished from my boat.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
My shallow water fishing this fall took a hit. My boat is back in the shop again for the tilt/trim pump.The original was not working properly so I had a place in Essex put another used one on. This pump was ok going down but struggled going up and was leaking fluid on my driveway. back in the shop it went. Still waiting to see what they are going to do with it now.

Mike

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,370 Posts
Ok, there was a beaver blood moon last night and I'm sure that screwed up fishing with the earth, moon and sun in alignment.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, my boat is fixed and Mom needs to get out so I will side with the optimists here and try again Wednesday. Maybe use smaller baits. Maybe look even deeper. Maybe it really is just the tides or moon or barometric pressure. One thing for sure is you can't catch 'em from the couch.

I'm going to try to pull the hottest chick in the bar! Will report back on Thursday. Hope I don't get a drink thrown in my face!

Pat

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well, for the first time in almost 30 years, I needed a tow.

Water Sky Boat Cloud Watercraft

My boat engine has been acting up lately. Gets up to about 3,000 RPMs just fine but then starts sputtering and gasping. Two different mechanics trying to diagnose but, so far, no improvement. I went out last night and it ran ok for half an hour and then started acting up again. Except this time it cut out and would not restart. I was adrift! Fortunately, my friend Curtis was available to jump in his boat and tow me back to the Narrows. Thanks Curtis!

I should make this post about my great friends who have offered me rides - and even offered their boats! But, I will save that for another post.

Anyway, so yes, still frustrated. One thing I did notice is there were far fewer birds in the lower Chester. Not sure what, if anything, that means. Looking forward to getting an actual shot figuring it out.

Pat

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,370 Posts
We've towed in 4 boats and The Rubber Duck just turned a year old.

Reactions: Hvymax

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I’ll have to look when I get home, but try some simple things first like changing all your fuel filters. If that motor has an VST. There’s a filter in that too. A lot of you tube videos on how the clean

21 - 40 of 60 Posts