Tidal Fish Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Pat - I fished for pickerel in the Severn on Wed morning. At 45 deg air temp and 15 mph winds, it was quite chilly out there. I fished in two different spots. The first spot had a lot of leaves on the water, making it tough to retrieve a lure without snagging leaves. I managed one pickerel there in 90 mins. I relocated to a second spot (load kayak, drive, unload kayak) and caught 4 pickerel in 45 minutes in the clearer water there.

I would like to get out again before Thanksgiving, but the freezing overnight temps and winds make it unattractive.

The water temps have dropped precipitously since Nov 12. Here is a 7-day plot from the Annapolis data buoy at the mouth of the Severn. With continued cold nights, it will drop even further.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yes, the water temp is dropping fast but I always feel like there should be fish around up here until the temp drops below about 48 degrees. We are not quite there yet so I have my fingers crossed. And this darn wind is making it really tough but Saturday will be fishable.

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Calling for 8-10 saturday. I intend to be out. Decent fish are still around, and I'd expect them to remain in the neighborhood for another couple weeks maybe, since temps are just dropping.
Gonna haul my boat after Thanksgiving and start launching at Lower HI to chase'em south.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,370 Posts
Anyone been out lately? Any fish north of the Choptank? Hell, any fish in the Choptank? I am going Saturday.

Thanks

Pat
Nope and it ain't looking good for this weekend either with the wind they're forecasting. I'm gonna wake up about 0200 and see what's what and make a decision then.

·
Registered
226 Posts
In past years, I owned two different pedal kayaks. But with worsening spinal and leg issues, I cannot pedal any more. All of my kayaking in my own boats since 2020 has been by paddle.
There's always electrics. I can clamp a trolling motor to my canoe and almost plane that thing. Paddle when needed. I prefer a canoe. I'm probably going to make outriggers so I can stand up to bow fish the snakeheads and have more stability when touching off 3 1/2" magnums at Geese. They have central drive kayaks with trolling motors. The new batteries make it easier as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Anyone been out lately? Any fish north of the Choptank? Hell, any fish in the Choptank? I am going Saturday.

Thanks

Pat
I'm probably going to take one more trip out on the lower Patomac or out of Solomons. I'm still 0 for any bigger saltwater fish off my boat. No problem catching catfish by the Wilson Bridge. I didn't have a downriver/bay capable boat till almost October though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well, I am no less frustrated. Actually worse.

We launched my friend's boat at Shipping Creek at 11:00 Saturday. Right away he had engine issues. We messed around with that for about an hour and then the engine started to run like a champ. But we were concerned enough that a long run to the Choptank/Gooses etc was not an option.

So we stayed in Eastern Bay. After the tide turned to outgoing at about 12:30, things were really looking up. We were seeing bird shows in a number of places all around the lower part of EB. Birds working at Hollicuts Snood, down by #2 Red, over by #2A Red, just south of Shipping Creek, just off the Green Can - literally all over. Multiple shows, with hundreds of gulls, BIG gulls too. The kind of bird shows we dream about. Except these were nightmares. NOT ONE FISH underneath these birds. Never saw a single breaking fish. Never marked a single fish below. NOTHING. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it. Plenty of bait though!

It was frustrating.

Pat

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,370 Posts
Well, I am no less frustrated. Actually worse.

We launched my friend's boat at Shipping Creek at 11:00 Saturday. Right away he had engine issues. We messed around with that for about an hour and then the engine started to run like a champ. But we were concerned enough that a long run to the Choptank/Gooses etc was not an option.

So we stayed in Eastern Bay. After the tide turned to outgoing at about 12:30, things were really looking up. We were seeing bird shows in a number of places all around the lower part of EB. Birds working at Hollicuts Snood, down by #2 Red, over by #2A Red, just south of Shipping Creek, just off the Green Can - literally all over. Multiple shows, with hundreds of gulls, BIG gulls too. The kind of bird shows we dream about. Except these were nightmares. NOT ONE FISH underneath these birds. Never saw a single breaking fish. Never marked a single fish below. NOTHING. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it. Plenty of bait though!

It was frustrating.

Pat
That's the way it was 3 weeks ago in the Little Choptank, birds a plenty but no Rock.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts