Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You think MD regs are bad? You ain't seen the half of it! Look, I don't believe that the DNR (my Uncle referred to them as "D[/U]amn Near Russian (DNR)" and he lives in Wisc....so it's everywhere) is operating in everyone's best interest. On TF I read about crab, rockfish, and YP regs. Arguments from the rec's and comms. On the most part, as the old saying goes, "I feel very strongly both ways", but I am a novice w/o any history into the subject so I can't make a valuable judgment. But that's not really the subject of my thread....

I travel a lot to Washington State. IMHO, if we continue on the way we are heading, we will be in the same boat they are in. Meaning, we continually implore people to write their politicians to help in our cause...which ever side you choose. It is rumored that Mark Twain once said, "He is a politician and an Idiot....ahh, but I repeat myself". What I have witnessed with politicians is that they don't want 'issues' and instead of solving them, they create laws,rules, etc. that distance themselves from the 'problem'. So, as we complain to our representatives thinking we can make things better, they will do whatever it takes to get them 'out of the loop'. What's the right answer? I have no idea....but temperance must be served. I present WA state as an example of how bad it can get.....

I talked with fisherman in WA and could not believe what they were telling me (or how it could have possible gotten to the condition that it was now in). Wanna go fishing? Go trolling? Ok, no problem. You can have 1 hook in the water at any one time (No matter how many fisherman are in the boat). The hook must be barbless...period. The individual I spoke with said that one DNR official carries a piece of milar (if you are not familiar with milar, it is a material that is stiff like wax paper but thinner) and he will run it along the inside of the hook and if it catches where the bard is, you get a fine. You must keep a log book of the fish (or crabs) you catch. This log book will be checked regularly and must be turned in at the end of the season so they can determine the exact catch. These fisherman tell me they are stopped 3 times EVERY time they go out: once by DNR, once by the coasties, and once by the sheriff when they come on shore. No joke.

They also have some shellfish seasons: If you want to catch razor clams...you have a 3 day window to do it!

The Indians...no rules, no regs. I've heard that it is common practice that they catch salmon, cut out the eggs and toss the fish! They can clam any where they want (Even on your waterfront property...while you are not allowed), any time they want. But that's a little off topic.....

I have tried to verify the claims of the fisherman...if you thought our info was bad, I employ you to try WA state...I have gone from page to page and cannot figure anything out! Unbelievable...If y'all have time on your hands and can prove me right or wrong, I'd be greatly obliged.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishcorn.htm

So, what's the point of this thread? As a rec. guy, I am thankful for the efforts put forth by guys that fight for proper regulations...and I feel for the comms that are hurt by unfair regs. I hate either group for trying to exploit the system to their advantage.

The bottom line...just be careful how we progress to get to the proper goal, it can be much, much worse. Sorry for the lengthy thread....

Joe

·
Registered
180 Posts
Washington State is another liberal haven. Maryland is probably not far behind, but the people of this state keep voting the liberal politicians, with feel good one line remarks, into office. Is it any wonder we are heading that way? After the last election we started hearing ; defecit,new taxes,increased taxes,California emissions, higher gas tax, etc. The last administration had turned a previous defecit into a budget surplus in four years.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It's a shame that Comm's and rec's can't work together we would/could get a whole lot more done. I guess the agendas are to far apart on some issues, like netting YP:52: :52: .

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
It's a shame that Comm's and rec's can't work together we would/could get a whole lot more done. I guess the agendas are to far apart on some issues, like netting YP:52: :52: .
don,t confuse rec's with the CCA. there may be members of the CCA that are rec's. but the majority of rec's are not against comms

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
don,t confuse rec's with the CCA. there may be members of the CCA that are rec's. but the majority of rec's are not against comms
No Zam, I really wasn't referring to any specific group/organization, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the CCA and their efforts. I'm a rec guy and not "against" comm's at all, I was speaking in general terms. There are issues where the two groups agree I just wish there were more which the pending YP legislation illustrates. I would make a general statement on the biggest difference being Recs are more conservation minded while some comms would go out and pursue the last surving fish, crab, oyster whatever if they could make a buck. I just wish the two groups could work together more closely as a united front. My feeling is the legislature will be sympathetic to the comms because to take netting YP away is going to cost them $$$$$$$$$. Historically the legislature shys away from taking away part of ones ability to support his family. Bottom line I see many recs supporting this bill and many comms opposed. Does this not drive a larger wedge between the two groups??:2guns: :2guns:

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Don't confuse ZAM with anyone that could possibly explain what CCA is all about, or a rec or a comm for that matter...

If you find a need to confuse ZAM with anybody, I always seem to get him mixed up with Kenny Keen...

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I would make a general statement on the biggest difference being Recs are more conservation minded while some comms would go out and pursue the last surving fish, crab, oyster whatever if they could make a buck.
See, I think thats a predudice statement, Im sure there are many comms that are conservational minded and I know for a fact that there are many recs that would kill the last fish if they had the chance. for instance, last year I saw a lot of recs filling their buckets up with 2" croakers, another time I saw a guy with a bucket full of rock about 10"..I beleive that a true conservationist wouldn,t even support the anti-comm mentality. I really think that the CCA has done more harm then good to conservation by telling their members that "real conservation" is about making comms quit fishing so you can have more fish in your freezer. thats not conservation

·
Registered
254 Posts
I believe most of Washington's fisheries laws that you mentioned are geared towards salmon and steelhead fisheries. Washington is very similar to Maryland in its politics, there are a very few counties with high populations that vote Democratic, but most of the state, from a geographical perspective, votes Republican. The concentration of population in a few areas is what makes Washington's politics so "liberal." Go talk to someone from Spokane, Walla Walla, or Yakima - mostly Republican.

·
Registered
11,291 Posts
You think MD regs are bad? It is rumored that Mark Twain once said, "He is a politician and an Idiot.
Sorry for the lengthy thread....

Joe
I'm not saying that what you've printed isn't true or won't eventually come true but...Alot of terrible things have happened to me in my life...and some of them actually did...Mark Twain

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
I believe most of Washington's fisheries laws that you mentioned are geared towards salmon and steelhead fisheries. Washington is very similar to Maryland in its politics, there are a very few counties with high populations that vote Democratic, but most of the state, from a geographical perspective, votes Republican. The concentration of population in a few areas is what makes Washington's politics so "liberal." Go talk to someone from Spokane, Walla Walla, or Yakima - mostly Republican.
You hit the nail on the head with that one. I lived in Tacoma for a while and Western WA is basically a whole different state compared to Eastern WA. I didn't really fish or hunt while I was there, but there constantly talk about preserving the Salmon and the Puget Sound.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Good stuff.... Ask the recs what just happened to their steelhead populations this year in Wa State and No Cali. Ask Gary Loomis and fish first.... how 90% of their gains where wiped out in a season from commercial harvest. Why? Because they didn't get involved on a political level. He's involved now.
You know what? I don't have any time. I work ungodly hours during the week. Then I have this meeting or that meeting for the CCA, fisheries councils.... you name it. My wife is constantly po'ed at me for never being around and always being on the cell phone talking about fisheries issues. My dogs don't even know me anymore. BTW... all this stuff is pure volunteer work...no money, no true benefits.. This week I am burning a vacation day to go to the meeting at 1. Why you ask? Because I care about the bay and I'm going to do what I can to help it. So, if you think the future is sad then all I can say is it may be brighter if people like yourself get involved and give of your free time. Change doesn't happen by itself. Do you think the bay is healthy?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I used to make trips out to Redmond. I think the whole western part of the state is a mess, what with its breathtaking scenery, crystal clear waters, great fishing and viable shellfish populations. I only wish it was more like Maryland.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Good stuff.... Ask the recs what just happened to their steelhead populations this year in Wa State and No Cali. Ask Gary Loomis and fish first.... how 90% of their gains where wiped out in a season from commercial harvest. Why? Because they didn't get involved on a political level. He's involved now.
You know what? I don't have any time. I work ungodly hours during the week. Then I have this meeting or that meeting for the CCA, fisheries councils.... you name it. My wife is constantly po'ed at me for never being around and always being on the cell phone talking about fisheries issues. My dogs don't even know me anymore. BTW... all this stuff is pure volunteer work...no money, no true benefits.. This week I am burning a vacation day to go to the meeting at 1. Why you ask? Because I care about the bay and I'm going to do what I can to help it. So, if you think the future is sad then all I can say is it may be brighter if people like yourself get involved and give of your free time. Change doesn't happen by itself. Do you think the bay is healthy?
OMC, you just said a mouthful...The volunteers that actually put in the time getting things done, the things that some would rather just complain about, while listening to nonsense from the typical suspects...Yeesh...Bud, it's guys like you that make good things happen. People should say thanks more often.

Don't worry about the sudden influx of ner-do-wells throwing all the mud they can find to see if anything sticks. Can you tell there's a hearing tomorrow? The timing isn't a coincidence...

Let's just go get it...When the green flag drops, the BS stops...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts