Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday:

Alright Guys,Alot of You know I don't care to Troll,mostly because I'm usually Solo.Tryin' to keep the Boat straight while puttin' lines out is a pain in the arse!Then when you Hook up,its worse!

SO....anyway,I launched out of Sandy Point Sat. with 6 Broomsticks and 4 LTJ Rods.I can't believe the Broomsticks out numbered my LTJ Rods!:eek2: Started at the Dumping Grounds for a 'lil while,no hits.Heard some chatter of some nice Fish being caught around Bloody Point and Thomas point.Well....."Run and Gun" Mike HAD to pull the lines and GO!

Thru down the spread and got into the fray around Brickhouse Bar.Quite a few Boats Trollin',but spread out fairly well and well behaved.After about a half ann hour,I started getting the "itch" to run!Kept telling myself,NO,NO,NO,don't do it.You can't catch Fish if the lines are not in the water!!!I actually overcame the urge!

I would like to thank the Guy in the 28 Carolina[Dire Straits] for the fine Bonehead move of cutting right across my Bow and then head east and leaving me no where to go.Had Boats to my starboard.Anyhow talked to alot of TF'ers on the radio,Heard of a 50 and a 48 caught,sounded legit.OH,I still had not had any Hook-ups yet.:wacko:Another problem Trollin' solo,Changin' up Lures when you are amongst other Boats!I just stayed with what I had out.

Had a call about some Fish North,Here we go again...Pull lines and run.Headed a bit north,re-deploy.Trolled awhile,then my WB line gets hit[220 back 6 oz.]Pull in a FAT and I mean FAT,like CBBT FAT 29" Football.:thumbup:I sent my Son a picture and he asked if it was Pregnant!Put that Line back in and a bit later the same line gets hit,Landed another Football @ 24".

I actually Trolled ALL day!!!I can't believe I did it!!Never touched a Jiggin' Rod.Don't think I would have been successful Jiggin' anyway. Oh,wanted to thank the 2 Guys in the Jon-Boat with 2 Rods out also,next time I'll make sure I get out of your way!:D

Nice talkin' to all You Guys today and Roger T. Thanks for the "Swipe";-),I owe ya' one! [Mike]

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
What time is the doctor appointment Mike. If you don't touch a LTJ rod something is seriously wrong.:D Glad to hear it did pay off.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Like you said when your stuff is out you have to take the abuse, cant just pull up 1 rod and move away from people. Good job on the fatties.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Nice Job there Mike,... Don't go alone anymore, call me, I can get to Sandy Point anytime, almost...I almost went solo there myself yesterday, wife made me a deal to stay home, guess I'm good for the rest of the year now;-)...bill

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
WTG Mike! Glad you got a couple. Nice talking w/you yesterday.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Mike you made the right move,as you know I didn't do squat LTJing ,unless bait counts:rolleyes:

Glad you got some nice fish..WTG,had a feeling things would pick up for you once the tide started moving.Its ok if you went to the dark side,just don't make it a habit:D

Your welcome for the swipe,anytime, glad I could help out.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Mike,

You need help fast. I actually had a similar but different story. I went out with my brothers and nephew on thanksgiving up off of the jersey shore coast. We brought 2 trolling lines with stretch's in case jigging didn't work. Well my brother wanted meat and told me to hold off on the jigging stuff in favor of the broomsticks. We caught 25 bass (25 inches to 34 inches) trolling only 3 rod's all in a couple hours. I kept saying if we can catch them this fast, most certainly we can jig them. Finally, he obliged and we pulled in our spread ( 3 rods) and only caught one 25 inch fish on a long drift. You guessed it , we pulled in the jigging rods and back to our spread...this time with only two stretches.

Go hide those trolling rods

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
You stuck with it and got some fish. I always carry trolling and jigging rods. One of my problems is knowing when to pull the lines and move or change tactics.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Mike- Welcome to the Dark Side.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
>Mike nice work Buddy.
Too many guys on here make a big deal about catching on the troll which as any SEASONED Capt. Charting will tell ya that all the methods(LTJ,LL,Chumming,TRolling,Bottom) catch fish at different times more than others and If you refuse to try the other methods you limit your own ability to catch.Need I remind some that OUR Master Superfish ALSO trolled for Flounder even though LTG was his primary method.
Alright all that fishing will Mean another Wax job on that boat BTW.:D
Real glad you had some good luck.You may want to ask Santa for an Autopilot it will make solo trips much easier...See you out there.:fishing2:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--Most of the time Birds are on Dinks on the South end of B P bar --Gotta wear a Raincoat for Protection near those Bladder less fowl --Better off fishing the 24' shelf line to 84A--Pots auta bee gone by now & moved to 35--45-ft. line geo.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Roger,I did'nt think I'd have a chance Jiggin' unless I went Farther South.

Steve[old hat].Had to do it!No Jiggable Fish in #'s up this way right now.

Jerry..Same problem I have.I need more experience Trollin' to be honest.Next step..Planer Boards!

Wayne..I probably should Hook -up with you to learn the "Finer Art" of the "Dark Side"!I really don't have much experience Trollin'.Most is what I've learned from others and read.

David...I don't mind Trollin' per say.Its just being Solo,its a pain in the A$$.I would love to have Auto-Pilot!!My 20 Deep-Vee does'nt like to go straight by Herself!I'd still much rather Jig!

capt. george...Thanks for the Tip!!

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
WTG Mike, some times you gotta do what you gotta do. I like trolling, its one of the best ways to catch a fish of a lifetime

·
Registered
599 Posts
Nice job, Mike. I've psyched myself up to troll the week before a fishin' trip, spent an hour packing and then rigging up on the water and giving up after about 30 minutes. I just can't do it.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
I thought you were going to say you waxed the boat again.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If you are looking for HO the next three weekends, I am available all day Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I am also available the weekdays of the last week of December.

Great report on the fish. You are right, solo trolling can be painful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts