Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why I did it, well, lets just say when you have kids you gotta go when you gotta go. It's not easy finding baby sitting when both of the parents want to get away for a few days. So, what do you do when it's blowing 30mph out of the NE and your guide cancels and Francis is no where to be found? You go fish the surf. The fly rod stayed in the car this weekend. When a 2 oz bucktail barely makes it past the first breaker or oftne gets thrown sideways at 90MPH, you might want to stick with the light tackle rods. I did have a few blitzes where I could have fished behind me and the fly would have worked but timing when they decided to hit the shore was tricky. The morning was usually the best. Some of the bait I saw were herring I think. I saw a cormorant eating one and a small one jump right at my feet. Anyway... here's the story with pics.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/chesapeake-angler-original-board-maryland-angler/245756-montauk.html

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Salmo: Nice report. Sounds like 3 days I had on Nantucket (October 1-3); the "calm" day it was blowing 15-20, the other two it blew 25-30. Knots. But the albie fishing from the beach was just sick; I got about 2 dozen fishing for 2 or 3 hours from sunrise each morning in the 3 days plus 2 nice bonito and quite a few bluefish to about 7 pounds, but no stripers at all. I remember one cast where about 10 albies tried to nail the lure. Also busting fish within casting range sometimes, other times blind-casting worked. Needless to say, the fly rods stayed in the rod rack.

FF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts