Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so last weekend i checked on my boat and i have been really caught up at school because today was my first midterm. After i took my 2 hr and 30 minute test today i came home to hear that my little 14 footboat had sunk and capsized. I dont know what to do, its tied up to a floating dock but its way to heavy to turn it over. we called seatow and the said that it might cost up to 5000 dollors so thats not much of an option. my 25hp motor is still on but its bolted on so cant even get it off and its submerged so its probly done. if anyone has any advis i could sure use it.

thanks

·
Banned
22 Posts
This might work! an old water bed belly, air compressor, air hose, duct tape, wet or dry suit! your ganna have to get in the water place the water bed under the capsized boat(if you can put straps around the boat holding the water bed belly in the boat as you inflate) Inflate the water bed belly it should at least get the boat of of the bottom allowing you to pull the boat to shore!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Had a 16' boat sink last winter but was able to turn it over with boat hooks and rope. put the boaton a trailer; sprayed the motor down inside and out (Plugs out) with a water hose, cleaned with WD-40, Kerosene or diesel fuel will work fine, drained the carbs (drain Screws) FLUSH, FLUSH, FLUSH with fresh water the WD40 or Kero, crank with plugs out until nothing comes out of the cylinder. Button everything up; connect fuel and crank until it fires; very important to do this AS SOON AS THE MOTOR COMES OUT OF THE WATER. I've seen motor shops dunk them overnight in fresh water and I've dunked more than one in my kids small swimming pools. I used the motor that was sunk all this past summer anf fall. Its important to get it running soon and let it run for several hours if you can..

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If the boat is up side down and just kind of floating around you should be able to flip it back over. Then with several people keep raising the boat a little at a time until you can start bailin water to get it floating some. The main thing you need to do is to get that motor off and wash it down with soap and water very good. Then spray it down with alot of WD40 and you also need to pull the plugs and squirt alot of oil into each cyl while turning the motor over. What your doing is getting any and all water out so it will not freeze up. Keep oiling it up and turning it over. Then I'd try starting it up and running it if you can. There is more to do but this should get you going. The main thing that you want is to get the water out of the cyl.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A submersable pump should work to get the water out if the boat is still upright (I think). You can rent a pump from someplace like Taylors. Don't write off the outboard yet. Once you get it out of the water you should be able to flush everything and fill the cylinders with something to lubricate the cylinders and rings. I'm sure somebody on here will know what would be best to use (i.e. engine oil, brake fluid, etc.). I had an outboard that went in and stayed submerged for a year (in fresh water). Had a mechanic go through it and dry it out, replace the fuel pump and it ran like a top after that. Good luck!

·
Registered
673 Posts
The above procedures are correct. I would recommend having everything that you are going to need to rinse/flush/ startup before you even think about raising the boat. As the others said, you need to clean that motor ASAP, Don`t even wait a day to start cleaning it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YESSS i got it!!!!!!!! my neighbor and my mom helped and we pulled it over but now were trying to find out whats up with the motor \

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
717 Posts
Been in your shoes a couple of times and in most cases you can save it. The most important thing is don't start this til you are able to finish it and if there is a delay submerge in fresh water. Like stated flush the motor with fresh water first!.. either completely submerge in fresh water over night or doosh the heck out of it with a freshwater hose, spark plugs removed. I prefer both methods as they each will remove salt the other method can't get. You may want to consider using some the the Salt X products currently on the market during the flushing. I have never used them for this but most folks say it does help remove the salt. Once she is super flushed put the WD 40 to it heavy, inside and on everything. After you have soaked it well with WD40 blow it dry with compressed air. Now soak it again with WD40 and dry again.. Drain the carb bowl and flush with WD40 first then fuel. Any fuel lines that went under have to be dumped, flushed and dried. Remember, WD40 does not have great lubricating properties so before turning engine over spray cyclinders with lube. Once everything has been flushed,WD40ed a coule of times, and dried several times replace the plugs. Install fresh fuel and run heavy on the oil for the first tank or at least a few gallons. If it is an oil injection engine add oil to fuel also. Now get it started, don;t wait. It will smoke alot but thats ok for now. Once you have it running try to run it frequently over the next few weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts