Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I like fishing this time of yr and right on thru to the late spring. Learned it from wwa/tf. Gotta dress and pick your days.
I went out of the west rv the prev 2 days, because it didn't look too bad from my bedroom windows.
It was cold and got windy and rough and I came in. big difference between 35 degrees and 45 degrees, especially with wind.
So, I am a little nuts, but usually know when to draw the line.

I look out the bedroom windows this am (outside the west rv on south side of curtis pt) about 10 oclock and see a 16 ft camoflauge(sp) jon boat out there in the wind/waves anchored up, doing whatever hunters do.

Now, I have nothing against hunters, to each their own. I have never been interested in it.
I put the binos on the 2 guys and they were just sitting there, looked like they were dressed for it. saw some decoys around the boat.

My point is: THESE GUYS ARE NUTS.:yes::yes:

34 Degrees, 22K wind and I think they have been out there for hrs (heard shooting about 3 hrs earlier).

THESE GUYS ARE NUTS. :yes::yes:

Now, I hope no one takes this the wrong way. I am just making boring conversation on a day I would not fish. Like I said, whatever turns you on.
They must really love what they are doing.

OR ELSE.....THESE GUYS ARE NUTS.

:D:clap::clapping2:
PS - disclaimer -- no offense intended.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Last year I fished near some duck hunters. Maybe even the ones you are watching this morning. They are real nice. They can not say too much with them sitting on what looks like a haystack out in the middle of the water. I talked with them for a bit and then continued to drift fish. I was catching some perch and a flock of sea ducks started to settle between them and my boat. I heard some shots and I swear I heard buckshot flying around my boat. I made sure that I kept my distance the rest of the day.

I vote for the "These guys are nuts" statement. But then so am I. The day I was fishing and they were hunting started out 33F with a 10 knot wind and only got to 40. The perch were hitting good that day.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nutty, and it can get painful:) But when the ducks circle your dekes and come in with wings cupped,It's very similar to a 30" Striper slashing your topwater offering. Very exciting!!!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Duck hunters are a very rare breed. I should know, i've been doing it all my life. If you ever get a chance, go to the book store and look for a book called "Misery Loves Company". It's a book depicting things like you are describing, it's pretty funny.

I'll tell you this much, the most avid hunter with the strongest desire to go is the dog. My old lab is 10 now and i honestly hope he dies in the marsh or on the water on a hunting trip. When he goes, you can just see it in his eyes that he was made to do it. Plenty of times we have called it quits for the day because ice was freezing on his coat.

In the end, duck hunting is alot like fishing. Some days just make it all worth while. I've seen flocks of bluebills decoy a spread and when you stand up, the sky is black with them. I've been to arkansas 3 times and have seen 10's of thousands of mallards buzzing a rice field like they were bees around honey. There is just something magical about mother nature at her finest.

I have given up alot of my hunting for fishing. About the only thing i am interested in anymore is duck/goose hunting.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
Not nuts- just addicted :D. I'll never forget one late October trailering to Ocean City around 10:00 am in steady drizzle about 36*.We passed the golf course in Easton and saw 4-5 guys golfing.My buddy looked over and said- What a bunch of idiots,out in weather like this.

I laughed until it hurt - knowing the golfers said the same thing about us :pp.

Best duck weather is often cold/windy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't duck hunt, but I have a few friends that do. They tell me that the colder, windier, and sloppier it is, the better the duck action. Don't ask me why. But, I can say that if the best Rock bite was in the worst slop, I'd be there for sure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bet alot of people that see us trailering our boats to and from the ramp this time of year say "Those guys are nuts!!!!!!!!" If they only knew what was waiting for us in the water when we get out there.

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
One of the best wise cracks I heard was a few years ago.I was walking across a WaWa parking lot in mid December with two 16 lb bags of ice.The temp. that morning was about 18*.

A guy asks me if I was heading out fishing and I said yes.He asked me if the ice was to keep the fish warm :D. Smart a$$ - I hope he had a tough day at work :pp.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had to buy a battery for my boat today - going out tomorrow (Sunday), the guys at Battery warehouse couldn't believe I was planning on fishing tomorrow - they laughed their 4$$ off when I said "tomorrow will be better than today".... guess we are all a little nuts...

Shout (Dan)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If I were not planning on working an event tomorrow at the KofC Hall, I would be looking to get out myself. At the least I would be over at Lake Artemesia helping Chris clean up the last 100 trout left from fall stocking and trying to pick up a few crappie.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
It's not too bad yet. I'm still riding my motorcycle to work. Snow kinda sux. When it gets to about 25 I'll take the truck.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Friday and Saturday my son and I duck hunted. One duck on Friday, 3 ducks and a goose yesterday. It was 24 when we launched. Right now we are loading the boat to head to BZP to catch some rockfish...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know they might seem nuts but Skips right they're just addicted like the rest of us. Waterfowl hunting like fishing is an art where you have to master calling and disguise before you even have a chance at a shot on a bird. Its like fishing where you get addicted trying to hone your techniques and catch that elusive big one that bring you back out day after day with no regard for how hard its raining or how cold it is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Timotheius.."the colder, windier, and sloppier it is, the better the " Drum fishing is an accurate statement. And I would add there is no tin boat...you're standing cold,cold,cold saltwater,(yeah the same stuff smart guys keep bait in) down south. and usually with plenty of company in some spots. YEAH...They're nuts.
Wes

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Last year I fished near some duck hunters. Maybe even the ones you are watching this morning. They are real nice. They can not say too much with them sitting on what looks like a haystack out in the middle of the water. I talked with them for a bit and then continued to drift fish. I was catching some perch and a flock of sea ducks started to settle between them and my boat. I heard some shots and I swear I heard buckshot flying around my boat. I made sure that I kept my distance the rest of the day.

I vote for the "These guys are nuts" statement. But then so am I. The day I was fishing and they were hunting started out 33F with a 10 knot wind and only got to 40. The perch were hitting good that day.
Sweet Jesus man!! If they were duck hunting they were not using buckshot..Don't yell out to everyone you are a chicken necker....:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
LOL, Easy on him Tubby; No. 2's look and sound an awful lot like buckshot to those that don't know I suppose...

I've done some pretty crazy stuff (Read- Stupid) for ducks in the late season. There is nothing like breaking through 1/2" ice with your waders at 4:30 in the morning to wake you up... But its worth it.

Speaking of stupid, I'll be out there in the yak in the afternoon for perhaps the last striper of the year...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts