Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been kind of thinking that I need to get more exercise. If I have to exercise, why not fish as well.

I went to a local kayak store at Kiln Creek to take a look at what they have. There were two in stock that are in my weight class. One of those has a 400 pound limit so I'm pushing it without gear. The other had a 600 pound limit.

I am concerned about my back and sitting in one for extended periods of time. Those of you who know me know that my back isn't much count, (scoliosis).

What kinds of things should I be considering?
Or should I get my exercise some other way?
Years ago we had a whole thread about the joys of someone seeing me, wearing a thong while kayaking. I promise not to wear one but I still can't help but think of the upside down pyramid theory either.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jim, I like the Wildrness Sytems Kayaks. For Fishing they are the best around as well as the Hobie's with the Peddal drives. (More $ though)

I have a touchy back as well. Unfortunatley there is no solution for this in a Yak. Other than alot of times I use the yak to get to remote places in skinny water and fish from the sod banks. A word of caution. Dont get in a kayak fishing unless you can get on it in water over your head. Its not as easy as it might sound and if your a big guy its that much harder. Not trying to talk you out of it just practice falling out and getting back in before you start wandering off into the darkness at 5am.

Its better fishing than you'll ever experience. Nothing like being pulled around the bay by a fat striper

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Inside Lynnhaven or inside Rudy and during the summer it would be a good thing but to learn to fish in an unstable fishing platform in frigid waters doesnt sound like a good idea. Like the other reply said it is harder then you think to get back into when you fall out(and have ice forming all over you). Good luck on you decision. Martin

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Jim check out the Ocean Kayak Big Game, the Wilderness Systems Ride, and the Malibu X-factor.

The first two are on display at the Kayak Fishing Symposium this weekend.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Jim,

I have occasional lower back problems and sitting in a kayak for any length of time makes me miserable. You can probably get one with a back rest that may offer some support.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jim--

Cory's right on with the kayaks he mentioned if you a big fellow. For your back, it'll probably all come down to cushioning as all the seats are molded in the same general shape. There are some after market seats like Surf to Summit, NRS, and Apex. I googled 'kayak seat' and my first hit was a $40 seat with lumbar support at NexTag. I've never used it so I can't speak to that, but they're out there. Also consider your butt when you're shopping for your back--4 hours sitting on hard plastic doesn't do much for the ole tuckus.

Now, for sharing this you're gonna tell me about that trout hole, right?:roflguy: Just Kidding. Good luck on the kayak....

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not as big a fellow as you 230# and my primary concern about yak is having the ability to remount after a tip over, I have heard a few stories of guys having to be pulled back to shore because they cant get back on if their feet don't touch the bottom because the yak will pullover. You may need one with an outrigger.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Jim,

although it might be a bit more trouble to load and unload....I would think that one of those pontoon fishing platforms would be a better way to go .....OR one of those float and flipper things.

It's more like sitting in a comfortable chair and with the float system with flippers you have the exercise and manueverability that might be advantageous to you in the kind of water that you are considering.

Kayaks are great....and my son-in-law fishes one...but with your SIZE, I can't imagine you trying to get back into a yak without causing you back or even heart problems. You had a bear of a time when you fell out of the boat with that header you took in the fall. Now try to imagine that with a rolling log....which is what a yak is.

You need SOME agility to get back in......with all due respect....AGILE you are not. It's like teaching a bear to do ballet.....an interesting sight....but even without the tu tu......it would be ugly!;)

Just some thoughts.....I would love it...but I know it would be the death of me....with that in mind, I'm sure that I'll get some suggestions to run out and buy one tomorrow.

ONE OTHER THING......FORGET THE SPEEDOES OR THONG....we have enough bad images of the women on TV......don't do the MAN SHOW!:cool:

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If you are not exercising now, don't ruin your great fishin' with the arduous task. Suggest you go on some walks and keep contemplating the idea amoung others for one hour daily, five times a week.
Good point. I have seen it in writing that before starting to kayak, with certain health conditions you should consult your doctor first. This is a sport where your heart rate can get going especially if you're not exercising regularly and then you find yourself having to paddle against a stiff wind.

Out of Messick Point the water is well over 4 feet just off the launch ramp and doesn't get shallow until across to the mooring poles. A couple of places in there get to 8 feet. Four feet isn't much.

Take a class also if you decide to get one. You won't regret it. Vic at Appomattox River is a certified instructor and knows well what he is doing in the areas of handling and rescue. :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't worry. I've already been convinced that the kayak is probably not for me based on the opinions offered here and I thank everyone for them.

As for the suggestion of an hour of walking a day, that is easy for those who typically have an hour and those whose back will enable them to walk for an hour. I have to take percocet all day in order to take the kids to Bush Gardens. Walking is not an option and I hate swimming so I'm trying to find something I can do and still pace myself until I may get back in shape. It's hard to believe that 10 years ago I was playing full court basketball. Now I can get winded watching a basketball game.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
One thing you may want to consider is a row boat. I am not talking about a boat designed for a motor that also has a place for oars. I am talking about a boat that is designed to row. I have had a Gloucester Gull rowboat for 20 - 25 years that has served me well. It is nothing for me to row it a mile or two in open water. It can handle any boat wake that you might come against and is suitable for use in a 1 foot chop or worse. In years gone by I have worked crab pots, and gill nets out of one. Here is a photo of one I dredged up on google.

Other desings to consider are white hall, wherry, captain's gig, etc. 12 to 16 feet is a good lengths for a one man boat. Longer glides better.

Most all of these designs are not subject to tipping over, etc. and all of them can be tricked out for one or two man fishing. The only times I have flipped were (1) when I had a sail rig on it and (2) when I was going through 3 footers in the surf.

Tom

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Mine goes in and out of the back of a truck one man. I use a bicycle wheeled cart for moving it aroud the yard and to and from the truck. I also walk it down the block to launch it at the neighborhood boat ramp with no problem.

Mine is made out of 1/4 inch plywood sides, 1/2 inch floor, oak chines, etc. and a layer of epoxy and fiberglass cloth on the outside. It goes at about 100 to 150 pounds. In my younger days I would put it on top of a car by myself but it was tricky. Although you can build a small rowboat light, mine one is not. On the other hand it is 20 - 25 years old and still ticking.

I have seen this style of boat on a dinky trailer many times in the past.

I had a buddy that made a wherry style boat out of 3 mm plywood that weighed about the same as one of those 14 foot plastic kayaks.

If you really want a nice boat (and have lots of extra money) you can get a made to order cedar cosine wherry for $11,500 Canadian.

You can usually find these kinds of boats on the used market for way less than $1000 but, I doubt that they are as nice as the one in the picture.

Here is a Roth Built 12 footer that is on the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum donated boats list for $650.

I don't know if is a leftover or if it is still for sale. That being said boats like this pop up in the trading post all of the time.

Tom

1 - 20 of 27 Posts