Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was full...... they were doing arobics :eek2:

Left out of Messick around 1pm and went out to the shoal and fished all around #10 and #8 until sunset. Anchored up @ the HR for the last 1.5 hrs of the flood tide and not a nibble. Wind was building from the southeast so we bagged it around 7:30. Found a taker for my leftover eels, maybe they worked for him. Just a bit chilly....... oh, the water was 46.5* on my machine, maybe this warm air coming in mid-week will turn 'em on.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
us too. temp is down 3 degrees. maybe cape charles.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
WHAT DO YOU EXPECT.........for the last 45 days....there have been 300 boats with 3 guys on each boat catching cows......thats 900 fish a night for 45 nights.......they are all gone,killed off.....depleted, wiped out like the buffalo......40,500 rockfish gone in just over a month....
.....WE "HARVESTED" THEM ( I said WE ) - I have 2 in my freezer........

EDIT>>> OR they could be already moving south, we wont notice because they are just outside the EEZ and next month we will troll along the beach inside the line and get skunked

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I agree with racn35, Stripers are like kids give'em candy and they can't resist. Eat Steak! C&R the way!
Les Who lived through the moratorium!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sorry to hear the wrong striped one invaded you cooler Brian. Saw you go past me Saturday night or was that Sunday morning:D

More people need to practice C&R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to remember this is the future of rockfishing and these are the cows that have the most eggs.

If you want meat, thin out some of the dinks so the schoolies can be healthier and possibly live to be a cow rockfish someday.

I maybe harvest 1 or 2 of these big fish in a season and all the rest are set free. Our club has a rolling tournament and once the leader board gets set I fish for a fish better than the top spot and that's it.

They'll be plenty of time for catching all the 32-38" fish you want along the ocean front come January.

Keith

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
C&R ALL THE WAY!!! GET YOUR PAPER AND KEEP SOME SMALLER ONES..........Its kinda like dating.....wink wink......

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I hear you on the grey trout. They were as prominent as stripers are today through the early 80's.
Wipped out and gone forever now that the striper population is stong and well. What few pan grey trout are left in the Mid-Atlantic are living hard these days.

I am to blame for some of that but I didn't know any better then. I can remember fishing with my dad and his buds and filling the cooler up with both big trout and pan trout. My son will probably never get to see a 9 lb trout.

Something to think about guys!

Try to set a personal goal to catch you a fish of a life time and let the other breeding stock live another day.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Jamie...You're ASSUMING EVERYBODY that went out caught their limit of cows. I know a bunch were caught but posts on this and other boards can be deceiving. I'm really afraid that fish managers are seeing the same thing you are "WOW, Limits of big cows!" And how many posts were made with that claim...and how many skunk and windy days have there been when nobody got out? I'd be willing to bet the number is less than half of your 40K quote, and to be honest, we don't need that kind of hysteria for the managers to see and agree with in regards to setting limits. Let's keep it based on numbers and science - not hysterical assumptions.

I may not agree with taking the big cows, just like I don't agree with targeting the 19+" primarily female fluke. I hope the managers can somehow do actual or realistic counts, and not cruise TF to try to get an idea on caught numbers. How ridiculous is it that on one side of the line you can't keep 28-34" rock, while you can keep your limit of those same fish on the other?

I grew up fishing in Delaware Bay. In the 50's and 60's you could catch a ton of spike grey trout (9-15"), but anything over 5 lbs was front page news. Anyone who lived through the 70's and early 80's with all those big trout that literally seemed to come out of nowhere has to understand there are cycles. You couldn't catch a spot (Cape May Goody) or croaker in Delaware Bay for many years either, and they're now a regular part of the catch there. How about the big bluefish cycle? For lots of years you could set your clock on their arrival at Thanksgiving and Easter. They're coming back towards the beach occasionally, but nowhere near their previous numbers or timing. Numbers are there; they just don't come to the beach.

Juvenile grey trout are definitely on the menu for big rock and blues, and the little guys haven't showed up in any numbers at the CBBT for several springs now. It could be they're avoiding the area like the plague since the huge striper return, and one day a bunch of the big greys will once again appear out of nowhere...I wish I had a crystal ball, and I also wish managers had a clue without cruising the internet for catch claims...

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts