Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4,561 Posts
Progger's post brings up the theme of how much fishing gear do any of us want to own. Most of us know some anglers who are tackle collectors (like to have lots of old tackle at home for a personal "museum" or man cave). We may know others who are "tackle hoarders" (once I own it, I will never get rid of it), and still others who are tackle minimalists.

I happen to fall in the latter category. For all of my 30+ years fishing from boats and kayaks, I have always owned small vessels. I found early on that in order to keep from having gear in the way, I needed to bring only what I needed and to put things back into their place after using them.

The same principles apply to what gear I own and how long do I keep it. As I explain in my fishing books, I realized early on that there are some types of tackle I did not like and some styles/methods of fishing I chose not to do. To the extent that I owned tackle for those methods of fishing, I sold them or gave them away. Even within my preferred fishing tackle comfort zone (UL to MH spinning rods in lengths of 6' to 6'6", jigheads and soft plastics for most of my fishing, small spinners for perch fishing), I try to be judicious in what I keep. I currently own 8 spinning rods with two other travel rods I am not using since I have not flown anywhere in 3 years. Rather than stockpile 20 styles of hard body lures in different sizes and colors, I have one small tackle tray of those lures. I found a brand of jigheads and soft plastics I like. When I find them on sale, I buy in bulk. In my early fishing years, I tended to buy inexpensive gear. As I realized that fishing would remain a primary interest, I upgraded to higher quality products. All of my fishing gear fits easily on shelves in my garage and is readily available for loading into my van for each trip, as needed.

At least once a year, and frequently more often, I go through my entire tackle collection. If I have used it in the past year and am likely to use it again, I keep it. If that is not the case, I often set it aside to sell or give away. Two years ago, I helped a neighbor dispose of a large tackle collection that her deceased husband had owned. I had the opportunity to take anything I wanted for my own use. Following my minimalist tendencies, I took a few small things but passed on lots of other perfectly good items I knew I would not use.

Accumulation of tackle, including old rods and reels, is a personal preference. It is a relatively inexpensive hobby that has minimal downside other than clutter. If that type of accumulation brings you happiness, then go for it and enjoy yourself. If you are compulsive on the other end of the scale (like me), then enjoy keeping a smaller targeted set of gear.

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr. Veil brings up some very good points, as usual.

Problem is, I use light tackle for panfish, heavier for cats, stripers, etc, plus boat rigs, and I dabble in surf fishing etc, etc, etc

Plus, had gear for me each of the above for my wife and kids. And now some scaled down stuff for grandkids, lol.

Wound up with a LOT of my Dad and Granddad's stuff too. Had heavy boat rods and reels STILL spooled with wire and big Tony's and surgical hose eels.

Gave a LOT away a few years ago, kept a few to use, and a few items for sentimental reasons. Donated a bunch for some charitable auctions too.(Plus a zillion related items, and 6 or 8 anchors too in lol, must come up from a long line of hoarders.)

But, catching a fish on a reel that my Dad or Gdad used, or that I used 50 years ago with them, still brings a big smile to my face.

I'll take a 100 year old 12 ga double afield later this week for the same reason.

Might sound crazy, but I usually carry an old knife, gun, reel, fish rag, etc most EVERY time I head out.

Plus, figure my kids, grandkids, and beyond are set for life when it comes to.hunting, fishing, trapping.

· Registered
965 Posts
Mr. Veil brings up some very good points, as usual.

Problem is, I use light tackle for panfish, heavier for cats, stripers, etc, plus boat rigs, and I dabble in surf fishing etc, etc, etc

Plus, had gear for me each of the above for my wife and kids. And now some scaled down stuff for grandkids, lol.

Wound up with a LOT of my Dad and Granddad's stuff too. Had heavy boat rods and reels STILL spooled with wire and big Tony's and surgical hose eels.

Gave a LOT away a few years ago, kept a few to use, and a few items for sentimental reasons. Donated a bunch for some charitable auctions too.(Plus a zillion related items, and 6 or 8 anchors too in lol, must come up from a long line of hoarders.)

But, catching a fish on a reel that my Dad or Gdad used, or that I used 50 years ago with them, still brings a big smile to my face.

I'll take a 100 year old 12 ga double afield later this week for the same reason.

Might sound crazy, but I usually carry an old knife, gun, reel, fish rag, etc most EVERY time I head out.

Plus, figure my kids, grandkids, and beyond are set for life when it comes to.hunting, fishing, trapping.
Yeah but for god's (and toes) sake, get 'em some boots will ya 😁

· Registered
425 Posts
Like John I’m a minimalist. I have a minimum of what I need to troll, surf fish, headboat fish, drift fish for flounder, cast for lm bass, ultra lite for panfish, topwater for strippers, jigging Rods, and some that do double duty. Even a minimum adds up. Spent a lot of money. Could have wasted it on wine, women and dance.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Like John I’m a minimalist. I have a minimum of what I need to troll, surf fish, headboat fish, drift fish for flounder, cast for lm bass, ultra lite for panfish, topwater for strippers, jigging Rods, and some that do double duty. Even a minimum adds up. Spent a lot of money. Could have wasted it on wine, women and dance.
Would that have really been money wasted? :unsure:

· Registered
1,945 Posts
Only problem I see is lack of storage space, which is a problem I have as well. I've assumed most folks are similar to me in that I've accumulated a spread of heavy trolling outfits as well as light trolling rods/reels . Then there's the compliment of surf rods, bank fishing rods, light casting rods for shallow/topwater, heavier casters for cobia, etc., ultra lights, jigging rods..
Then there's the totes and tackle box for each scenario and group of target species..

I recently met a dude that's moving and was selling a bunch of tackle.
Before I knew it, I had also bought a couple fly rods, a jag of flies and an entire fly tying set up w/ materials.
I don't fly fish...
Hopefully that'll change. I've booked a lesson for this sunday.

· Registered
15,468 Posts
Only problem I see is lack of storage space, which is a problem I have as well. I've assumed most folks are similar to me in that I've accumulated a spread of heavy trolling outfits as well as light trolling rods/reels . Then there's the compliment of surf rods, bank fishing rods, light casting rods for shallow/topwater, heavier casters for cobia, etc., ultra lights, jigging rods..
Then there's the totes and tackle box for each scenario and group of target species..

I recently met a dude that's moving and was selling a bunch of tackle.
Before I knew it, I had also bought a couple fly rods, a jag of flies and an entire fly tying set up w/ materials.
I don't fly fish...
Hopefully that'll change. I've booked a lesson for this sunday.
I have one bedroom dedicated to fishing gear and another room in the basement dedicated to hunting gear, reloading and guns. Both rooms are full.........Gary

1 - 20 of 23 Posts