Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the ocean today, not far, was in 30 feet. Yellow tails were okay, but not the frenzy I expected. Four people on a 20 foot boat, a pretty good East blow and I could n't go where I wanted to. Tommorow about the same. Tried fishing holes near and about 7MIle, Grount city..

Hey BOb, I tried the rice trick. I bought " Jasmine" rice. It never double like I thought it would. Soaked for 24 hours and nada. Looked good in water, but was expecting more product. Trying to boil water and see ehat happens.

Pips people sure are down to Earth and nice. Got a brand new, never rented Cape Horn. I'd never own a Cape Horn, but it will do. Sue, the black Lab is adorable.

Can ya hook a brother up. Winds look the same for tommorow. Need an other plan.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Post Script...

Hot water added to rice makes a world of difference. So I have that fixed. Double the chum..

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Hey Brian... good to see the updates. Is it tough to get to the snags? How's the bait catching? Tried any live baits drifted back in the slick? Damn man, I gotta live vicariously through you!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snags a plenty. But I have to say I spooled all reels, 2500 with 20 lb red PP and 4000 with 40 lb Red PP, holding there own. Few loses, but wtf? Its expected. Tried to float a few grunts and small YT under a balloon. Nada takers.. One, very wise Pelican F:censored: ing with me all day.

Just not the day I wanted. Close friends, eager wife, was expecting more. But always tommorow, more confidence in virgin waters.. I'll get em, and will share.

Going to Square Grouper for dinner, thanks to who ever reccomended.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Go get'em man... I'll be reading for updates. (and resturant recommendations!)

Go hang out at the Loreli (sp?)... great place for a cold beer (although that can be said for most places)

·
Registered
886 Posts
You should enjoy the Square Grouper, I don't remember exactly but they have some kind of nut crusted grouper that was awesome.

Plan B = Spanish mack fishing. Get 4 or 5 blocks of chum, a bag of glass minnows, some light wire / long shank #1 or 1/0 hooks (the bait store will set you up) if you're using PP you should put 4' or 5' of 10# to 15#mono or Floro leader, (that could be why you had a tough time with the YT's, everything's very leader shy down there). Head out toward Springer Bank on the gulf side and anchor up in about 10' of water. The north tip of Springer is a 16NM run at N24 54.780, W80 56.280, Scooner Bank another mile of so beyond that at N24 57.440, W80 58.782, look for about 10' of water and anchor. I think the reason it's good between those two points is there's a good current. If you don't get any action in a half hour or so move a mile or so. If you don't want to run that far you should be able to run just about anywhere in FL Bay, the best action is about 10 miles out, look for grassy bottom. Over there you'll be in the shelter of the banks so it should be fairly calm. BRING A CHART (buy the Top Spot one if you havent't already) and watch were you're going, there are some shallow spots out there but they should be very easy to see. "Green you're clean, brown you're aground" something like that....

Look for other boats doing the same thing but keep your distance, you won't be alone. Also, chunk up one of those macks for bottom bait. Small hook, like a 1/0 on 10# mono and you should get mangrove snapper. Bigger chunks on wire and you'll be sharkin. If you have heavier wire live line one of those too:yes:. Keep some extras because they make good bait if you just want to fish near the 7 mile bridge pilings.

Also, try to find a place where you can catch some live pinfish, drift those around the pilings of the 7 mile bridge on a 40lb setup.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Plan C:

OK I'm bored... Spanish macks should be your game plan but if you don't want to travel much at all there's some decent bottom fishing around the pilings of the 7 mile bridge or a little further south at the Bahia Honda bridge, Bahia honda is about a 9 mile run, (good beach there for the ladies). First, go to a grass flat in about 5 feet of water, probably right out front of Pips will do, anchor up and chum up some pinfish and catch them with small bit's of bait (Squid, shrimp, ballyhoo, etc) use the smallest gold hooks they sell. If you don't know what a pinfish is, you will once you unhook a few. Go out to one of the deeper channels that run under the 7 mile bridge and anchor up current of one of the pilings. Chum and toss a live weighted pinfish out behind the boat, just like you'd live line a spot, use 40# mono leader. Use a smaller chunk on the bottom for the snappers. Could get a tarpon, snapper or grouper, again, if you don't get action in a half hour to an hour at one place move to the next piling.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
OK Brian....what time you picking your boat up from Pips's in the Morning...I'll get a cup of Coffee and meet you there at Porky's with one of my charts and a couple of game plans

looks like wind is going to hold NNE-NE with GUSTS to about 20 tomorrow

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hope it's better than that...

FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT
MAINLY NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS.
SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 2 TO 4 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM.
SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 1 TO 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A LIGHT TO
MODERATE CHOP.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Sue is a sweet heart of a dog, she is my constant companion when I'm there,,,she knows what pocket I keep the Dog Biscuits in...and she knows the sound of my truck...

·
Registered
886 Posts
One more thing. No matter what kind of fishing you do down there bring a lot of chum and buy the best quality you can find. There's a great seafood place at mm 22.5 on Summerland called E-fish 305-745-3887, buy some stone crab claws lobster etc too while you're there. They sell good chum for about $35 for a case of 10 blocks and they sell bags of glass minows too. If you really want to catch Yellow Tails bring all 10 blocks plus your rice and the glass minows and chum like drunken sailers on the edge of the reef in 60' of water, if it's choppy you might have some contribution from the crew. Even if you only bring 5 blocks out on the water the other 5 will last a day in a cooler if it's out of the sun, throw a towel on them or better yet throw them in your freezer if you have room. If they melt a little no problem, mix them in with the rice.

We want a better report tomorrow and some photo's, go get em.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
OK Brian I will be at Pip's at 0800 hrs...coffee and chart in hand,,,if you have a chart bring it....otherwise I will be in residence at the bar working on some food from around 17:30 to around 20:30 - 21;00
Just look for Susie she will be right next to me

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob thats very kind of you. While this crew is eager, they do like to sleep in. I'll look for Susie when we come back in.

Waterboy, I had two blocks, glass minnows and rice. Needed more rice, which I fixed, and two more blocks of chum. I'll buy the case today, I have an extra freezer here at the house.

Thanks to both of you.

BTW, went to Square Grouper, cute place. First thing they say, No Grouper today... I look up and say WTF ? Its called the Square GROUPER. I had the YT. Good fish, with too much sauce. Enjoyable meal thou. I need a grouper sandwich fix. Gonna run to Islemorada Fish House today I think.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sorry but I had to chuckle at your "Hawks Channel thread." Some funny stuff in that thread.

Up until 3 weeks ago we were catching yellowtails to 26". Now is probably the worst time of the year to catch flag tails. Water is to cold. While nothing is impossible flag yellowtail are caught in water from 50+. Inside of Hawks Channel you will catch a zillion tails but not usually larger than 16".

The rice thing is humorous. Get yourself some beans and save the rice for dinner. Take 12 blocks of QUALITY chum and use a cage. A bag will work but not nearly as well. Use 20 lb Seagar fluro. Who ever told you 40 fluro for yellowtails has never fished before in the keys.

Fireline and braids have their uses but fishing for Yellowtail is not one of them. 15 or 20 mono main line works well with 10 feet of 20 lb fluro attached with no hardware.

Skip the seven mile bridge. While you will catch many fish there your chances of quality fish are better in deeper water.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bill,
At least he's using Red PowerPro LOL:poke1:.

Have any Tarpon started to show up around the bridges? Must be coming pretty soon I'd think.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Waterboy,
I have not fished the bridges yet. Tarpon are out back now. As the water warms the bite will turn on more.

I know you like crabbing waterboy. We have been catching blue crabs here. One guy walking and dipping can get a bushell of NICE crabs in less than an hour.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bill,
I'm curious what you mean by walking for them, do tell. I know there's a lot of crabs down there, my pinfish trap get's loaded with them but they're all small / bait size. In the areas where the bottom is firm enough to walk I only see stone crabs.

One time up in Largo Sound I found larger blue claws up shallow along the tree line while I was polling but I didn't have a long handle net.

I'm trying to bribe my wife for another guys fishing trip in may/june. If I get the go I'll try to bring down a bushel of Chessies and a case of beer in a shelfish attempt to bribe you for some local info. If you make it up this way visiting relatives etc in the summer it would be an honor to take you out on the bay for a crabbing / fishing trip. My humble fishing / crabbing platform is a 17' Whaler, I could trailer anywhere to meet you.

Bob

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Bob,
By walking I mean like in the 60's on the Chesapeake Bay in shallow grassy water. Here we walk in ankle deep to knee deep water and dip crabs as fast as you can. I don't go crabbing in the warmer months. They are there but so are the bugs. January, February and March are great months here for Blue crabs.

I appreciate the offer but have not been north of Islamorada since 2002.

I lost your e-mail address when my computer crashed. If you e-mail me I will help you in any way I can.

Bill Welder

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jesus,, where to start..
First, Many thanks to Bob for taking time to meet me this morning.

Bob, water's were deceiving. We went out to the tower, and it was 5 to 7.. I'm okay with that, but not in a 20 foot boat. Friends were uncomfortable, so I made the slow crawl to 46. Finally made it, Grunt City once again. Did the tour through the channel before Vaca, headed to Bridge. Went where you told me, chummed my ass off, and minimal results. Had to come home for 6:00 reservation at Little Palm.

Waterboy, THANK YOU for E Fish.. Nice people, great prices.

Capt Bill.. Thanks for the advice, hopefully wind will lay down like forecasted tommorow. I know where I want to go, but today was impossible.

Big difference with family, and TFers. I can handle 6 footers, they won;t. I'll figure this place out yet.

Pray for the wind gods to persever..

Thanks to all who are trying to help me.. I will make this work. Weather permitting

Brian

·
Registered
886 Posts
TONIGHT
NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE
REEF 2 TO 4 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE
REEF 1 TO 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A LIGHT TO MODERATE CHOP.
ISOLATED SHOWERS.

SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS 10 TO 15
KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 2 TO 4 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF
STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 1 TO 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A LIGHT
TO MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED SHOWERS.

MONDAY
MAINLY EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS BEYOND THE REEF 2
TO 4 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS INSIDE THE REEF 1
TO 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A LIGHT TO MODERATE CHOP.

TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY
MAINLY EAST WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS
BEYOND THE REEF 3 TO 5 FEET...EXCEPT HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SEAS
INSIDE THE REEF AROUND 2 FEET. NEARSHORE WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.
ISOLATED SHOWERS.

"5 - 7 yeouch" It's hard to believe the NOAA guys were that far off with the forecast but totally believable, if it were me I'd be out of a job, I guess the Fed's doesn't pay much of a bonus for forecast accuracy...

I feel like I'm trying to operate some kind of wierd unmanned drone fishing vehicle over a spotty Cingluar wireless network connection across an intermittant VPN... Like driving with a few beers, on a foggy night....

The next couple days look like you have some nice weather, then it will get a little breezy again. If you're hell bent on catching some YT's, (even against what the famous Capt Bill is telling you there're not active), you better get on your game. Take those spiners and put a LOONNNNGGGG top shot of 12# - 15# mono and invest in some 15# to 20# floro leaders, no swivels, small hooks. Throw a scoop of chum in with your hook bait and let it flow out with the bail open, NO tention from the spool, TOTAL FREE SPOOL until you've let out at least 100 yards of line, then pull in and do the same thing over again. If that doesn't get them, move to another spot or give it up.

WHEN the wind picks up you must try the Spanish Macks in FL bay thing, constant pullage, calm water, and good eating. Plus, I forgot to metion keep an eye on your slick for big brown shaped fish sniffing your chumbag that look like sharks, also, they'll follow your hooked fish in too, it's Cobia time down there and they are some of the biggest, most stupid, best eating, (did I forget to say large), gamefish out there. Keep your biggest spinner or boat rod rigged with a 5/0 - 8/0 hook on ~40# mono leader with a chunk of something, anything, ready to go. It'll eat it like a fat kid on a snikers bar on Haloween night.

Where's the pictures?

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts