Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any good battery choices to run my fishfinder and gps?It would be nice to have an AGM battery,but does a useful one exist under 10 pounds?Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,as I fear my YAK will be overloaded if I just grab whatever I find on my own.Thank You,Yakker World!

·
Registered
3 Posts
kayak battery

Are there any good battery choices to run my fishfinder and gps?It would be nice to have an AGM battery,but does a useful one exist under 10 pounds?Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,as I fear my YAK will be overloaded if I just grab whatever I find on my own.Thank You,Yakker World!
I just purchased and installed a battery in my Prowler Big Game, it is a sealed battery, (no leakage) and weighs about 5 lbs. I went online to batteries plus and found a local store in Greenville NC. The battery works good, I have fished twice and it is still going strong. The guy at the store told me it should last about 10 hrs per charge. The cost was about $30.00. The battery is small, about 4" x 6" x 3" and fits into the battery tray in my kayak.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
Check out Zbattery.com. I've purchased several batteries from them. Their B&B 12V 7Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery is only $14.25 plus shipping.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If there's a BatteriesPlus store nearby go there with the specs on voltage draw for your sonar and GPS, tell them the maximum number of hours you expect to fish at a time and they'll check a chart to set you up a sealed battery - likely under $25 and 2-3 lbs. However, the battery charger will run you $30, but you can't overcharge your batteries with it.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
240 Posts
Plus with a little mechanical ingenuity you can take an old, left over 12v DC output transformer and add spade clips and use that to charge your battery.
Mine works great and it was free.

I NEVER throw away old operable transformers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks YAKKERS--Your help is greatly appreciated.The solutions you offer are quite beyond my expectations--and my paddling life will improve as a result.THANKS for your generous sharing of knowledge---I SALUTE YOU!! Chris Naff

·
Registered
12 Posts
most portable fish finders can be run on 8 AA batteries with a holder from radio shack. the outfit will cost about 1.50 and weigh less than 1/4 lb. if you use rechargeables then you just remove the holder every trip and recharge. i put my holder and batts into a small dry bag and down the hatch she goes. never had a problem yet. i keep my finder on all day and never had it run out yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts