Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Being probably the sorriest fisherman on the planet, I have decided to spring for a fish finder.
Not particularly interested in one with GPS, but want a relatively large one in an intermediate
cost range. So therefore I'm asking you kind folks for some recommendations. I will be installing
a through hull transducer. Sincere thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Dick

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Furuno FCV588 w/ rezboost (or smaller FCV628)

Benchmark of fishfinders. Knobs for quick manual adjustments. I would match with the B60 for the Bay and take advantage of the wide cone for low frequency and narrow cone of the 200kHz.

I run a Furuno gp1870f. It is a combo unit with the same fishfinder as the FCV587 in it. (the new FCV588 is the same but with Rezboost) However I use it only as my fishfinder. I will take the unit over the recreational grade CHIRP units on the market, especially if you understand the transducer and how it works on each frequency. My unit can be had for less than the 588 but it has a slightly smaller screen size and is in the widescreen format. If you want see screen shots of my unit in action, check out my facebook page under the reports section of my website.

See my thread here about understanding your fish finder's frequencies. http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/sho...-frequencies-with-your-fish-finder?highlight=

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh man, your gonna get all kinds of answer from this forum. I have my preference and so does most everyone else for different reasons. Get a good transducer. For head unit, go explore west marine, bass pro, etc... And play with some of their display units. See what you like. I think most are well made now a days.

For me, I don't like touch screens. Too much **** and sweaty smears get on the screen.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree, go and look at as many as possible and see when the stores are having representatives in there to talk to them. Size , features and price point will dictate the Prandin that might suit you best.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Don't go to west marine or bass pro. Most of their salespeople have no clue. I would call boe marine on Kent island and go visit there. Others like midshore electronics are well respected as well.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I love a good fish finder talk. I've had 3 in the past year. A Lowrance Elite 7x, Elite 5 DSI, and a Humminbird 798 HD SI.

The Elite 7x has a 7 inch screen, easy to see. I love fooling with fish finders, adjusting settings, and trying to get the best views. I like to think I have a better than average understanding of how they work and how to make them work best. I was never happy with the Elite 7x. The colorline vs sensitivity never yielded views of fish the way I like. It didn't have gps so when I was directly over fish I had to use a second unit to mark the fish. Also when my primary gps broke it couldn't take me home. I used it for a year and sold it for what I bought it for.

The Elite 5 DSI came with Navionics gold. The gps worked great and was detailed, but the screen was relatively small. The DSI can only use a special transducer that shoots at 455 or 800 khz. It should theoretically give clear pictures in shallow water. I found I was seeing a lot of interference, but when over breaking fish it would definitely show them. Then again when over breaking fish the golden retriever in the boat could see them also. The Elite 5 DSI was mounted next to my trolling motor up front. I used it for 6 months and one day it turned off and never turned back on. Eventually I uninstalled it, and hooked it directly up to my battery, still wouldn't turn on.

I purchased my Humminbird 798 HD SI when I purchased my current boat, 3 years ago. I can mark schools of rockfish while on plane at 20 mph. When over big fish I can see the individual fish in the schools. I can see fish holding on pilings in shallow water at the bridge by using my side scan. It produces the clearest, best picture I have ever seen. I have 1100 hours on it, which is remarkable considering what a giant piece of **** it is. It turns off when I hit a wake, it turns off when I come off plane, it turns grey when I enter a no wake zone, the screen goes black and white with stripes whenever I catch a fish. Seriously it never works correctly. I can zoom in, but never zoom out, so it makes you very hesitant with the gps. My gps location marks itself 100 yards to the North of where my boat is every time. At sandy point it says I am driving in the parking lot. I can only use the left scroll button also, so you can turn settings down, but not up. I hate this thing. The only problem is how well it shows fish. Good luck on your choice. I would probably follow Greg's recommendation. His unit seems to be as clear, or almost as clear as my Humminbird, and something tells me he doesn't cuss at his for 30 minutes every day.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don't go to west marine or bass pro. Most of their salespeople have no clue. I would call boe marine on Kent island and go visit there. Others like midshore electronics are well respected as well.
Yea, I wouldn't recommend talking with any of the reps at west marine or bass pro but go just to play with the units. For in depth discussion on any I would go to the other recommended places. I have had multiple Garmin units. Never had any problems, so that's my brand of choice. My current unit is Garmin GPSMAP 840xs with dual transmon mounted transducers, 1 for chirp and side scan, the other for low frequency (per recommendation of iFishMD). Sweet having the dual frequencies. Can split the screen multiple ways to see low frequency, high frequency and side scan, all on 1 screen.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Make sure you google for reviews before you buy one. I'm stuck with a Lowrance Elite 9 with a factory verified piece of **** GPS. Fishfinder is waaaaay advanced over my old Humminbird, (it better be I have a $495 thru hull transducer) but the GPS is just junk!! SMH!!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I second BOE marine. There is a reason Jim has work all over the country. West marine and BPS sales people give you the deer in the headlight look when you ask questions about electronics and both are way overpriced. Go to BOE marine website and sign up for thier e mails. Jim is always having sales if you can wait for the unit you want it will go on sale eventually.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The problem with almost all local places is they do not carry Furuno. Don't worry about downscan, side scan or chirp for the bay. Just my opinion but had downscan and sidescan and rarely used it except to look at something neat. CHIRP was made for deep water fishing. The Furuno with rezboost is about as good as you'll get without going to CHIRP.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Why wouldn't you want a GPS? It helps you get back where your were or where you came out of, it shows the ledges and points. You can mark specific spots you caught fish or lost a rod or anchor.
If all you want to do is see under the boat, go to Walmart and drop $50-$75 on a fishfinder only.

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
Why wouldn't you want a GPS? It helps you get back where your were or where you came out of, it shows the ledges and points. You can mark specific spots you caught fish or lost a rod or anchor.
If all you want to do is see under the boat, go to Walmart and drop $50-$75 on a fishfinder only.
If you ever fish at night, you will need a GPS with tracking. Trust me....... Gary

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
If you ever fish at night, you will need a GPS with tracking. Trust me....... Gary
Something tells me he already has GPS on a dedicated chartplotter.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW!!
Sincerest thanks, especially for the negatives that I erroneously thought were good.
Will definitely go to BOE Marine.
For GPS, I have a hand held Garmin, also a lap top with Maptech charts w/ gps.
Thanks again folks. Tidalfish is great! isn't it.
Dick

·
Registered
467 Posts
The problem with almost all local places is they do not carry Furuno. Don't worry about downscan, side scan or chirp for the bay. Just my opinion but had downscan and sidescan and rarely used it except to look at something neat. CHIRP was made for deep water fishing. The Furuno with rezboost is about as good as you'll get without going to CHIRP.
Chrip actually works better in shallow water went to a seminar last night Simrad,Lowrance and BMG are all made by Navco. Simrad was described as a Lowrance on steroids (Faster processor and more features.)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Please pardon this response- not trying to be a wise a.. but I just can't help suggesting that the best fish finder I know at this time is Walleye Pete.....

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I couldnt disagree more on this. For years I had an old ff unit. I just now upgraded to a garmin 94 sv with down and side scan. Its freaking amazing. I have onky been out a few times so far, and I can't comprehend how much of a more presise fishiermsn i can be now.

Get it, and the 94/74 sv units from garmin are the best bang for the buck out there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts