Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pass weekend while at the CBBT my Helly Hanson rain jacket zipper broke and now I need a new rain jacket. What is a good jacket that is water proof and does not leak when it’s raining? I have my eye on the Grundens but not sure which one I would like to get but if anyone has any others that I can take a look at I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hey Steve...I've got my eye on the Artic Armor jacket and bib's for cold weather fishing, I'm going to check them out at the timonium fishing expo.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Tim,
I did look at them but I would like to get something that I could wear in the summer and the price on them is a little more then I would like to spend but boy they do look nice. Maybe we can hook up for that show this year, keep in touch. Also fishing is going to be out for me for the next 3 weeks, went to the doc's yeaterday and it does not look to good my have to hit the hospital for a small operation if things don't clear up.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Also fishing is going to be out for me for the next 3 weeks, went to the doc's yeaterday and it does not look to good my have to hit the hospital for a small operation if things don't clear up.
:eek2: It better not be too serious!
Can't you try to get the zipper fixed? It shouldn't cost too much for a new zipper.
I just pulled the trigger on some Arctic Armor yesterday.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike I just checked them out and I do like them.

Phill-I'll give you a call and fill you in, nothing serious right now. I thought about getting it fixed but the damn thing leaked water everytime it rained.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
Hey Steve...I've got my eye on the Artic Armor jacket and bib's for cold weather fishing, I'm going to check them out at the timonium fishing expo.
What vendor has the Artic Armor at the show? Might be worth the cost of a ticket to see it especially if there is a show discount.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Take your jacket to a seamstress and have it repaired...

I bought Field and Stream rainsuit sold at Dick's Sporting Goods for $80 and it's been great...Works good in warm weather and in cold weather too with warm layers underneath...also good on windy days to block the wind.

I was at Dick's the other day and noticed that Field and Stream has a newer version out... it looks even better than the one I have and of course the price went up too.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Anything GoreTex. My LL Bean GoreTex Anorak is 12 years old and is wearing like iron. Light weight, breathable, exceptionally waterproof. Send it through the washer and dryer and it comes out like brand new. Mine has been rained on heavily for 14 hours straight and has kept me dry as a bone. I wear a fleece under it in the winter.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
not sure what to recomened , I have my good ol hunting rain suit that seems to fit the bill when I go out,,, and as mentioned Frog togs in the summer , I would check with Greentop, Basspro and Cabelas
they tend to put a lot of Clothing on sale this time of year to make room for next years stock like a car dealer , or should I say what a car dealer used to do...

I got my Camo suit last year at BP 50%

Clearence is a Fisherman and Hunters best vocabulary

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Two years ago I bought a very nice lightweight set of Cabelas Goretex raingear. The jacket is light enough that I can wear it in warm weather. It has proven to be water proof. It also folds up enough that I can stick it in a backpack when I travel. I am pretty sure the model is the EXV Cabela's GORE-TEX&#174 EXV&#8482 Gear.

The photos show me wearing the jacket in Scotland last April in cool weather -- on the shore of Loch Ness and at the Glenfiddich distillery.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Are you looking for cold weather gear or year round gear.

I have a West Marine "Against the Elements" series foul weather jacket which I don't think that they carry any more,that works great in an open boat. Instead they have Third Reef series foul weather gear that is breathable.

That being said it is not exactly summer wear. For the summer I use Goretex.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Grundens makes a nice set of un insulated ones under ~$100 from redden marine supply for bibs and jacket. Very durable and keeps the wind /rain out (button up jacket)
Capt Bob

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've been very happy with my "Against the Elements IM4" Breathable jacket... going on 3 years now!
I'll use it 9 months out of the year (it's too heavy for the summer), I got it big enough to fit over winter clothing.

Against The Elements IM-4 Breathable Foul Weather Jacket $59.99
The new IM-4 takes wet weather protection to a new level. Part of the new Great Barrier Series from Against the Elements the IM-4 provides lightweight waterproof and windproof performance in a breathable garment.

Against The Elements IM-4 Breathable Foul Weather Jacket - BW-IM4JKT - BoatersWorld.com

Thanks, Fishing-Rod

P.S. Steve don't take any grief from Mike and the others! You may be vertically challenged, but you have the advantage of when you take a picture with a 24" fish it looks like a monster compared to Mike's fish.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I use the Grundens Herkules stuff to keep dry. It is not insulated, so you are not staying warm with it on. You have to layer up underneath.

If you are going that route, check out the Cabelas Alaskan Guide set. I also have that and it is as durable as the Grundens with alot cheaper price tag.

Cabela's Alaskan Guide® PVC Rain Suit

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guys I really appreciate all the suggestions on this and I’m going to look at all of them and I will be getting something very soon. I would like to have something that I can wear in the summer but still use in the winter with layers of cloths on.

Rod-I can make the smallest fish look big can’t say that for Mike

Mike-I think I’m going to use a pint size bag that should fit just about right. Wait until you see the shirts my Grandkids gave me for Xmas you get a good laugh out of this one.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts