Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a flatbottom jetdrive with a V nose. Its a 6 degree deadrise across the delta pad so in shallow and reasonably smooth water it draws say 3 inches above 25mph and life is great. But when the waves go over say 12 inches or if there is any kind of trough's between the waves it "bobs" noseup/nosedown too much to allow any rods except the most center ones (adjacent the console in the middle of the boat's center of gravity). The stern bob's with say 18-30 inches of vertical movement so the rear rod holders are a problem as well. The problem is bad on the James but much worse on Kerr because in James the current (virtually no current in Kerr) is a big help holding the lines out and also the bite on the James is more visible than a lot of the bite here.
Any body got some ideas for me (I can't change boats) either with the boat anchor setup or the pole setup to make the roughwater any easier? thanks in advance...jfo

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
lets break out the power tools and build something. how about a pivoting rod holder? the mount points to the boat would remain solid/fixed but the part where the rod fits through can pivot. this makes no sense if you are picturing single rod holders like driftmasters but could be applicable if you use a rocket launcher style rod holder acoss the back like some people. try to imagine how a gimble can pivot on a fighting chair, then make your board with your rod holders in it pivot.

Ok, found a pic. Instead of securing the horizontal board down tight, mount some kind of swiveling thingamabob on each end. Then,with your rods out, the rod holder will let your tight lines move the board and keep them as tight as possible. of course this assumes your wave action is directly perpendicular to the rod holder axis of rotation. Well, heck, it *could* work.... :) But the more I think about it the more it sounds like a project destined for the junk pile.

heh, it just occurred to me what would happen if a big james river blue started swimming off with one of your baits.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hey Joe, do you have a pic of your boat? It sounds very similar to my new-to-me boat that I'm re-rigging and re-powering. My boat is called a High Tide and it has a v-nose with a very flat bottom also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sure, a generic picture:
http://www.riverpro-boats.com/pages/HiPro.shtml
Only difference on mine is that they made it to specs so its generally around 800 pounds heavier. If you look at that picture and imagine a rodholder about lined up on the side beside the front of the console, that holder is pretty much on the axis of boat rotation (with the swells hitting right on the nose of the boat) so holders near that are pretty useable. Anybody ever used any kind of vertical drift-sock-like gizmo? jfo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts