Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my physical agility test today for the fire dept. It had to be on the hottest day of the year. After putting on the coat that was thicker than any duck hunting parka I have seen, I put on thick gloves, the oxygen tank/harness, the helmet and a saftey harness. The course was to be completed in 10 min, 30 sec or less to pass. First station- climb the 75 foot fully extended ladder on the engine, touch the top step and back down. Walk to the fire tower while unfastening saftey belt. Climb six sets of stairs to the third floor. Pull a rope and one section of fire hose up over the rail until the aluminum coupler crosses the roller. Grab the end of stretcher with a 170 pound dummy on it and carry it down stairs. Half way down, switch ends and continue until outside the tower. Set the stretcher down. Walk around building and drag a 170 pound dummy about 100 ft on aspahalt. Walk over to a set of stringers/ rafters like in an attic. Pick up a medical bag in each hand and walk the length of the rafters, about 25 feet or so, not stepping on any orange painted areas, turn around at the end within the black painted region, walk back to the other end, step off and set bags down. I did it in 6 min, 49 secs plus a 5 sec penalty for stepping off the rafter at the turn around point, which ended up being 6 min, 54 sec. Now I need to make it through an interview, a polygraph exam, and a physical.
MAN! -Kepone

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Cool! Well, I mean that is hot! Or, I guess you were hot. Heck, you are hot. I have always thought that!

I get sweaty everytime I read a Kepone post. I just wish he would post pics!

Dayton

·
Registered
556 Posts
Kepone, congrats. I took a similar exam (CPAT) with the Henrico Fire Dept last November. I was wiped out after I passed it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I need to locate my suit and get ready for an interview at 9:30 am thurs. I don't particularly enjoy interviews but I guess it is part of life. -Kepone

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good luck man, im doing the same thing. My phy. test was in feb. Ours was a little different. Rotate hyd. wrench to open hyd., around 13 times set @35ftlbs. Goto hurst tool thats 50lbs pick it up walk 50ft set down, pick up and go back. Goto hose drag and drag 150ft of 2" (wet hose, wet snow on that day)hose 175ft (hose is zig zaged at start) walk to ladder, fully raise and lower 20ft ladder with out rope slippage in the hands(gloves). Goto tower, pick up high rise hose pack and climb 3 flights of stairs and come back down. Goto 100lb dummy and drag 200ft. All had to be done in under 7min with helemt, turnout coat, tank, and gloves. My time was 5:45. I would have to say the wet hose drag beat my hiney.

Then non-timed 75ft truck ladder touch top rung and come on down. SCBA event, put on blacked out mask and go up 1 floor in the burn building, make you way around the room for 5 min. Same equipment worn as above. These events were kinda cool.

Out of 350 applicants that passed the phys/acd. tests, 140 were sent to interview. I got picked and did that in March. Now there selecting 40 for background. Then around 20 out of those for phys. check. Im still waiting to see if i made it to back ground. Not counting on it though. Ive heard it takes a few tries. Oh well, the next app. process has already started and im ready to go again

[grin]

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had the interview this am. I felt I made a good impression. Waiting on the call for the polygraph. I hope they don't ask about my fishing holes. -Kepone

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Dang Slade, just how many times did you take that test?[grin]

After Kepone takes it, they may have to change it. Did you know Kepone is his last name? His first name is Cosmo.

Dayton

·
Registered
90 Posts
[Q]RANGER690 originally wrote:
Dang Slade, just how many times did you take that test?[grin]

After Kepone takes it, they may have to change it. Did you know Kepone is his last name? His first name is Cosmo.

Dayton
[/Q][grin] LOL!!! [grin]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts